• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Custom HTML box?

I saw this question asked HERE in 2014 but no one replied to it.

Has anyone here ever developed a custom box for the user's own HTML content?  I would like one that would span the width of the page (so 12 columns) and fit just above the footer; something that could expand with the amount of content and be responsive/  *dramatic wail*  IS THAT SO MUCH TO ASK?  😆

(You guys are probably going to ban me for asking too many questions.  I feel the rejection, already.)  😊

@ArtcoInc  In my case, it probably wouldn't change much; at least for the site I'm focused on just now.  It would just repeat a segment that appears on every page of the full site; sort of a recurring slogan and encouragement to artists who want to sell their work..  So once I filled the box in with that content, using my own CSS, HTML, images, etc., I'd probably leave it.  But I build a lot of web sites, mainly for musicians, artists, some for restaurants, home decor...  so depending on the site, needs may change.  It would be great to have at least one segment of the store where some familiarity with overall site content could land, just to keep things cohesive and to have a central message repeated, even on the store page (although not every site I build has a need for that).

I suppose the box wouldn't be that dissimilar to a blog field, but without the WYSIWYG and drop-and-drag.  Just basic coding, I think, would be sufficient. 

Not knowing the bones of osCommerce, I don't even know if this is do-able, but one has to ask.   ☺️

Lost my "edit" option but just wanted to add before I have to take off for a bit, that when I say "something that could expand with the amount of content" i only mean expand vertically.  And it probably wouldn't need to much, but just have the capability to.

2 hours ago, IAmGrammy said:

I would like one that would span the width of the page (so 12 columns) and fit just above the footer;

I haven't tried it but if you are not using all of the footer boxes you could edit one to do what you want. Then set its width to 12and sort it above the other footer boxes. The Text Block module would be the best choice. Or, if that is in use, duplicate it to create a new module.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The osC banner manager has the option to output html, so just add a footer or header banner and use the banner manager to make updates.

https://apps.oscommerce.com/L9dD0&jcm-simple-header-footer-banners

May not be what your after but it works ok. You can see it on the test site. https://chilleddisplays.co.uk/index.php

All I did was dump some html into it so it's not perfect but it works.

image.thumb.png.95eb3add8639294f33e322cccb67f5dd.png

Well....   I have options; that's for sure, ha!  Okay, I'll roll up my sleeves and start playing around with these and see if I can get one of them to land where I want it (and to hold my code).  If nothing else, I can "screenshot" that section that is on the rest of the site, place it as an image and just make it clickable, I guess. 

I'm on it; thanks!  😊

If you guys will forgive me for posting on this thread again, I'm revisiting the subject of keeping osCommerce stand-alone while, at the same time, trying to placate my client, who is adamant about having it look like the rest of his site.  With that in mind, I have just these questions:

1.)  Is it an acceptable hack, if I increased the size of the navbar and gave it a background image, just to get that "header look" that he wanted?

2.)  I used the footerbox information box, placed the segment he really wanted to remain (but as a clickable image) and stretched it to fit.   I left the copyright field below that so.....   where do I put the "powered by osCommerce"?  Is that a box I need to add or can I just float a div to the right?

These changes do pretty well on my iPhone and iPad, so I credit that to osCommerce's responsiveness.  (screenshots attached)

745138510_Screenshot_2019-03-26TheNorthWestArtist.thumb.jpg.5fd6285c0df145f4fe2da7ec132a4013.jpg32654601_Screenshot_2019-03-26TheNorthWestArtist(1).thumb.jpg.606749d47e0d9775beeb9fda7e0bd75a.jpg

It's fine if you're tired of answering design questions but, regarding the "powered by osCommerce"....  we are required to show it, right?  I mean, I've looked at some of the "live" sites mentioned elsewhere on the forum and have noticed that many of them do not credit osCommerce but I thought I saw on another thread that we're supposed to? 

As to the other question, no need to weigh in on that.  Design is something I'm all about and I can be annoying; I get that.  No worries. 

To an extent, this is one of those things where an app like osCommerce thinks it owns the whole site. I can't see anyone having an objection to modifying "Powered by osCommerce" to something like "Online store powered by osCommerce", and perhaps moving it to the other corner if it's physically close enough to your NorthWest Artist logo and copyright to cause confusion. This is not a legal interpretation of the osC licensing agreement on my part, but it's at least a courtesy to all those who have contributed to osC to leave as visible not only the osC copyright but also a "powered by" statement.

@MrPhil  and @JcMagpie

Well, I think people should either be compensated, or at least receive recognition for their hard work, so I'd like to leave some sort of nod to osCommerce, even if it's not required.  I'll play around with modifying that template and floating a div over to the right, I think.  It's just the one thing I wanted to remember to do before I move things over to the client's server and I wasn't sure of the wording.  Thanks!  😊

4 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

It was removed as people would see it was osC and try to hack! it's as simple as that.

Oh!  Is that a concern, then?  Better not to show it?  😯

1 minute ago, JcMagpie said:

Showing is not a requirment anymore so you can show your appreciation by contbuting to the project 😊 anyway you can.

My goodness, I should have thought of that!  I'm on it! 

On 3/28/2019 at 8:40 AM, MrPhil said:

I can't see anyone having an objection to modifying "Powered by osCommerce" to something like "Online store powered by osCommerce",

These days it should be more like "Powered by Burt & A Few Others"

Archived