• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

A volume based products pricing solution required

paul tyson

1 hour ago, paul tyson said:

How to add a product price calculator (3 dimensions)

Simple solution set your price for m^3 units and then use product atributes to allow selection in increments of this unit. However it all depends on what it is your selling?

You may be able to adapt this to work for you.

https://apps.oscommerce.com/SXBAI

Edited by JcMagpie

1 hour ago, paul tyson said:

Display 3 measurement fields on product page and price is automatically calculated based on the values entered

I'm not aware of any free add-on that will do this but I may be wrong. I'm sure if you post in the commercial section one of the developers will be able to help.

If you can do a little codeing  the add-on shown above should have the most important part of the code you need ( the price update to cart)

The only thing you need in addition is a simple input form for the customer to enter the 3 dimentions. If your using CE then thats a simple add-on if not then it requires editing existing files.

On 3/15/2019 at 5:27 PM, René H4 said:

The Add-On that you recommend is from 2009 and fits V2.2.

I am sure you are aware od this, since it is outdated.

Then update it then. If you cant do it, pay someone to and give something back to the community.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Yes, it can easily be done when you’re selling products in a specific volume as shown in above price per unit volume example,  but, I’m looking for a pricing solution that works for variable products according to the entered measurement values and calculate price in real-time.

46 minutes ago, paul tyson said:

but, I’m looking for a pricing solution that works for variable products according to the entered measurement values and calculate price in real-time.

Then your going to have to pay a developer to make that for you.

For anyone else interested in doing this with attributes you can make it a bit easer for the customer by adding a simple calculator so they know how much they need.

image.png.36c031709780c388e20c69899afa26c2.png

Edited by JcMagpie

A starting point may well be to find a 2-dimensional system (add-on) that you can code in a third dimension to. Note that a 2D system is likely to have some constraints. For example, if you're selling cloth, it might come in rolls 1 yard (36 inches) by 100 feet (let's say). Two constraints would be that the smaller requested dimension must be no larger than 36 inches, and the larger requested dimension must be no larger than 100 feet (or whatever length you have left if it's the last roll). Even then, you may be unwilling to sell me a 2 inch by 30 foot piece, as that would severely reduce the value of the leftover 34 inch x 30 foot section (it might be hard to sell). For bulk materials (stone, dirt, mulch, etc.) sold by volume, you probably don't care how the dimensions are (above a reasonable minimum), but you probably will want to impose a constraint by rounding up to the next full cubic yard, cubic meter, etc., or packages are sold in fixed sizes (e.g., peat moss in 12 cubic foot bags, or cold patch in 60 pound bags).

I take it this comes down to being for the convenience of customers too lazy or too non-mathematical to figure out the volume for themselves. I would have more sympathy for those looking for non-rectangular amounts (e.g., mulching around a tree, with outer diameter and thickness, and inner diameter and thickness; gravel to fill a 30 foot x 18 foot area, 3 inches thick on one side to 12 inches on the other, etc.). Depending on the material, offering special calculators for that might attract customers. Adding up several uses might be difficult for code, but each calculator might give an exact result, and it's up to the customer to add them all up and request the total. The store could then round up to the next full measure.