• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Remove 1 Product from 'Customers who bought this product also purchased' Box

djdeuce

I need to remove a product showing up in the 'Customers who bought this product also purchased' box that a customer purchased with an item but it is not compatible with the item. Future customers keep buying it thinking it is recommended but it is not haha. I simply need to delete 1 product from this box displaying below my product. Anyone know how to do that? Thanks!

Someone might have bought that other product because they have a separate need for it, so you might be shooting yourself in the foot by removing it from the "also purchased" box. To protect customers who somehow think it's a recommendation, what if you add something in bold on both product listings: Product X is not compatible with Product Y and cannot be used together with it. Or, if there are multiple problem compatibility issues, Be sure to consult the Product Compatibility Chart to see whether this product can be used together with other products.

thanks, i tried that and people are still buying it and trying to assemble it on the item then writing bad reviews on me. i need to delete it from the box but can't find where it is stored at. do you know where?

no ive had to refund the people that accidentally have bought the item that doesn't fit. i'm watching for it now so i can cancel people on that accessory but would be much better if i can delete the item out of the box that is recommending it to people. any one now how to edit the Customers Who Bought This Also Bought box? how do i delete an item out of there? thx

So if a shopper already has Product A in their cart, you want the "Also Bought" box not to mention Product B, even though people did buy A and B together (then gave you grief about it)? What version of osC is this, and is "Also Bought" an add-on or built-in? A general solution would be to have a list of discouraged combinations (from the database) and see if B is on the list for any A in the cart, and refrain from mentioning B in "Also Bought" (and vice-versa, of course). It could also be a hard-coded (in a PHP file) list, I suppose, if you don't mind not having a smooth admin interface. The same data could be used to pop-up a reminder "This T-Stoff Product is incompatible with the C-Stoff Product you already have in your cart! Do you still wish to put it in the cart?" when adding Product B to the cart.

I have doubts about the intelligence of your customers if they ignored product description warnings that Product B is incompatible with Product A, but it all depends on how good a job you did in trying to warn them.

Probably not ideal but the two minute fix might be to delete the existing product so it no longer appears in the also bought (I assume it would just go away) and then set up the item again, if needed, so it is then treated as a new product with no also bought history.  Will that work?

Dan

Exclude that one product from the db query something like this,

mysql_query("SELECT * FROM products WHERE productName != '$productName'");

Never used that part of the code so check the relavent file to see how to apply.

Why not get rid of the Also Purchased box and use a cross sell mod that will only list the items you allocate. Seems much easier and may create more business.

If you remove the product from the also purchased box what happens if someone buys a totally non compatible product for another reason, and you have the same trouble again.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

thanks for everyone's input. i guess there is no simple way to delete it from the table so i just deleted the accessory all together. it rarely sells and is causing more issues than is worth.

Archived