• Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email queuing system

DAVID3733

Hello

I have for many years used emagic one followup autoresponder

Its not something they support anymore and as i am moving over to a php7.2.14 server it will not run

Very disappointed because it does exactly what i want it to do, it integrated direct into admin

When i make a sale it queues up emails for a later date that will need to be sent days and much longer after the goods have been set to dispatched automatically

These messages are things like a request for a review, further shipping information, care of the goods or chase up emails for orders than were not paid for, even marketing further down the line

it was set up so that if the order was later cancelled that any queued emails would be cancelled, it works with no issues, and i am going to miss it

Does any one know of something that i can replace it with on my new 2.3.4.1 CE bootstrap 4 version and the later php as mentioned above

Or does anybody want to have a go at getting it working, I have the php files, PM me,  but not the know how, had a few people look at the php side but i still couldnt get it to work just a blank page

Regards

david

David

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's not an addon that will do that that I am aware of. The Email Queue addon will hold emails for later delivery but the control like you need is not present. There is also the request review addon that will send an email after so many days asking for a review. But, gain, it doesn't do half of what you want. So unless someone knows of some other addon, I think this is something that has to be written.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@DAVID3733

24 minutes ago, DAVID3733 said:

I have for many years used emagic one followup autoresponder

Its not something they support anymore and as i am moving over to a php7.2.14 server it will not run

Very disappointed because it does exactly what i want it to do, it integrated direct into admin

<snip>

Or does anybody want to have a go at getting it working, I have the php files, PM me,  but not the know how, had a few people look at the php side but i still couldnt get it to work just a blank page

(if this module is as good as you say it is ...)

Was this a commercial product? Who are 'they' who won't support it any more?

*IF* this was either an open source program, or the copyright holder has abandoned the code (make sure first!),  *and* if you have access to *all* of the files necessary (including all php files, any database changes, etc), you could hire a developer to bring this up to date, and then hopefully release it back to the community.

Just a thought ...

M

Hi 

the program that that @magpie is quoting is store manager, also been using that for years, this is a way of connecting into your site from your desktop, they have also stopped supporting this but do indeed offer it as a free download, another tool I find i couldn't live without, the free version is a little temperamental compared to the licenced one but as they no longer support it on osc its the only one available

I was referring to emagic one followup autoresponder or it might have been the previous incarnation Magic-one, pic below, I bought a lifetime license many years ago and it was encoded, but as they no longer deal with this product they gave me a php version without any encoding about 4 years ago when i needed it to work with php 5.45 and gold 2.3.4 bs, but now i am switching over to 2.3.4.1 CE on php 7.2.14

image.thumb.png.ece7f3ed3b9ea23f6e1a63b76dbf34e0.png

David

😂 Sorry about that, you said.

15 hours ago, DAVID3733 said:

I have for many years used emagic one

I think you mean magneticone ? but I could be wrong! They look to be using both trade names depending on what product you look at.

https://www.magneticone.com/store/osCommerce.Modules/Follow..up.Autoresponder.for.html

Odd how they are still showing it as available to download but link is dead!! If you have the php code check if the licence allows you to share it?

image.thumb.png.aeca0793430ed052f5c7e3821d071e5d.png

Yes

Nor sure of the full history, purchased followup autoresponder from magnetic one and they went by the wayside, emagic took over some of the products including the store-manager as mentioned above but not it appears the followup autoresponder and never supported it as far as i am aware, think support died with magnetic one

David

This has given the acorn of an idea...

A simple HT module that gathers data.

• Customer signs up gives you DOB.
    1 month before next birthday, send email...
  • Customer logs off (save cart happens)
    send email in 5 days (if they dont log back in prior)
  • Customer makes order
    send email in 30 days asking for review
    send email in 21 days with ideas for complementary products

And so on.  I'm sure the panel can think of more such scenarios.

And then a simple mechanism (perhaps a Hook?) to fire emails off at/near the correct date/time.

It *could* work.

7 hours ago, burt said:

This has given the acorn of an idea...

A simple HT module that gathers data.

• Customer signs up gives you DOB.
    1 month before next birthday, send email...
  • Customer logs off (save cart happens)
    send email in 5 days (if they dont log back in prior)
  • Customer makes order
    send email in 30 days asking for review
    send email in 21 days with ideas for complementary products

And so on.  I'm sure the panel can think of more such scenarios.

And then a simple mechanism (perhaps a Hook?) to fire emails off at/near the correct date/time.

It *could* work.

Interesting idea if it could be made to work. I would like to send a pdf invoice say 5 days after the items were posted which could be used to ask for a review or what ever just to extend the sales process and to check to make sure that everything was ok with the order. I bet there are more ideas.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

@14steve14 The shipping moment is crucial here. Sometimes products are not on stock, it does not look proffessional sending out an e-mail requesting feedback (or other) for orders that have not been shipped yet.

@burt If this in developement (knowing you it is) it would be nice if the number of days are variables that can be adapted in [admin]....

I do not know the legal issues involving the copyright of software from a company that is either no longer in business, or is no longer supporting the software. Perhaps developers here that know the legal aspects could jump in.

That said, if the original code was available, free of legal constraints, a developer could bring it up-to-date.

Otherwise, the other option would to do a "clean room design", where one tries to replicate the *functionality* of the original code, *without copying* any of the original code.

using  28d28 - StandAlone - KEY  (last year 2018) made by @burt for sending automatically emails to  the customers for asking reviews the ordered products ... really this every shop owners must  have it  thank you @burt    we got a lot of reviews on one month more then on 5  years ..👏👏
and also we use  28d19  - StandAlone - RECOVER CARTS    (last year 2018) made by @burt       send short reminder emails to the  customers that we saved they cart ..

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

22 hours ago, Omar_one said:

using  28d28 - StandAlone - KEY  (last year 2018) made by @burt for sending automatically emails to  the customers for asking reviews the ordered products ... really this every shop owners must  have it  thank you @burt    we got a lot of reviews on one month more then on 5  years ..👏👏
and also we use  28d19  - StandAlone - RECOVER CARTS    (last year 2018) made by @burt       send short reminder emails to the  customers that we saved they cart ..

These two (especially the reviews one) are game changing for shopowners, in my opinion. 

I'm trying to make another game-changer based on the ideas in this thread and have gotten it sort of working;

outgoing_emails.jpg.c2513f2b19d73f3045e7f96b424349ec.jpg

In this example, a new customer "Donald Duck" just signed up...he gave his birthday as 10th November 1960;

• send at (birthday) will go out 21 days prior:  20th October
  • send at (shipping follow up) will go out in 21 days from now
  • send at (request review) will go out 30 days from now

That's the basis of this system.  I will also create an admin page where shopowner can easily see the email queue and delete/add emails.

This is a complicated project, but I have it under control.

Any more ideas for emails to go into the Email Queue?

Is there a possibility to sent an e-mail to a customer that has logged in, put products in their cart, and left without checking out?

That's more-or-less recovered cart sales maybe?

Enjoyed the weekend? 🙂

2 hours ago, burt said:

How about...

1. A WinBack email...ie for customers who haven't order since X.

2. Account set up but no orders placed.

3. A Survey request perhaps.

Dan

So far so good - the whole system is up and running with just one core code change.  I went down the 1 core code change route to save multiple code changes in the future...it'll make sense once you see it...

Here's the admin side for viewing the email queue.  In here you can;

• add emails to queue
  • delete emails from queue
  • edit email (eg change outgoing date etc)

outgoing_emails_admin.jpg.71029f3afb3922263d8c26e4889362dc.jpg

Date = date email will be sent.
Name/Email = to whom.
Slug = what is going to be sent to them.

If you put two and two together, you're probably thinking "slug"?? 

I now need to create an admin page where shopowner can set up email templates,  so a "slug" would be something like:

winback
Title: 
New stuff at XYZ shop
Text: 
Hey {{NAME}}, we haven't seen you for a long time - we have hundreds of new products for you to look at!    Here's a voucher for 10% off.  Love from XYZ Shop.  Kthxbye.

And here's the Slug page, aka email templates...

outgoing_tpl.jpg.d09a35a5e21df10a7b0e9128d4b3d2c0.jpg

So, just one more thing to do...send out emails at about the right time, and make sure the emails use the merge_vars as shown (anyone who runs Mandrill will understand merge_vars).  But in this relatively simple system, assuming an email was going out to Donald Duck, the word {{FNAME}} would be replaced with "Donald".

So, next step is to tie it all together and see if the concept works...

19 hours ago, burt said:

These two (especially the reviews one) are game changing for shopowners, in my opinion. 

I'm trying to make another game-changer based on the ideas in this thread and have gotten it sort of working;

outgoing_emails.jpg.c2513f2b19d73f3045e7f96b424349ec.jpg

In this example, a new customer "Donald Duck" just signed up...he gave his birthday as 10th November 1960;

• send at (birthday) will go out 21 days prior:  20th October
  • send at (shipping follow up) will go out in 21 days from now
  • send at (request review) will go out 30 days from now

That's the basis of this system.  I will also create an admin page where shopowner can easily see the email queue and delete/add emails.

This is a complicated project, but I have it under control.

Hi Gary,

Can a pdf invoice be attached to the outgoing e-mail?

Thanks, Eddy

This is an interesting subject. It sounds like the desire is for

1. ability to trigger sending an email on many different kinds of events (calendar, order shipped, shipment delay, abandoned cart, follow-up on order, merchandise return, no orders in the last X months, etc.)
  2. "slugs" of a template for the email (anything starting "Hey Phil" gets immediately deleted from my inbox! I had a credit card which used my initials, and I'd get mails "Dear P" from the issuer.) -- perhaps several different templates to choose from, based on customer specifics (e.g., a Valentines Day offer geared differently towards singles and couples)?
  3. ability to pull information from the database (customer name, order information, ship date, etc.) and put it in the email
  4. possibly updating the database, such as a coupon was issued on my birthday

Without a lot of custom-written code, especially to read/write the database for all sorts of different things (and combinations of data), I don't think you can generalize this with one piece of code. However, specific modules could be supplied to do specific tasks (e.g., look up customer birthdays), maybe with a hook system so new ones can be added. The data found should influence the content of the email, so that it's appropriate and has the maximum impact.

Be careful about queuing up so many emails that your host slaps you (is a rate limiting mechanism assumed? if so, do different messages have different priorities?). Also be careful about straying into actual marketing mails if the customer has not granted permission to send such to you.

15 minutes ago, burt said:

Unfortunately not.  It's a difficult thing to do (in osCommerce).

Thanks Gary - on second thought, a link to the file location is going to do the job.

I've installed this system on the 28d Demo - and, so far so good.  

I (as admin) manually inserted an email in the Queue - set for a few days ago - so it would fire off immediately. 

Here's the Slug:

eee_slug.jpg.56c65161f740ec5c2e49c9b3cbde4792.jpg

Here's the received Email:

eee_email.jpg.47d91cedc04b50a2cbc7221e17456984.jpg

TL:DR;

The whole system is working as intended! 
I'll test it a bit more and then get a couple of shopowner to raise their hands for testing...

👋

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

A bit more refinement has gotten this to NO CORE CODE CHANGES :D 

https://template.me.uk/28d2019/

Please have a test?  Anyone who has already create a account ... would just need to perform a checkout, or create a whole new account (with DOB) and perform a checkout.  I can then screenshot the email queue to explain what emails would be incoming to you in the future...

You won't get any emails as the closest one (on a new order) would be at least 15 days away - and I will delete the tests well before then.  Hope that makes sense...

@René H4

rene.jpg.9beaf16dbe38a8fa7e28b2d2b2fc6e60.jpg

• 60 days (choosable by shopowner) from now send a review request

• 365 days (choosable by shopowner) from now send a "haven't seen you for a year" winback email
    If in the meantime, you were to buy something (say in 6 months)...that winback would
    be deleted and a new one a year from the next sale would be put in its place.

Archived