• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email queuing system

DAVID3733

Latest tweak working slick as a whistle.

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 3/30/2019 at 1:15 AM, burt said:

I've now created a module for order_success to replace the standard order success email that osC sends.  If anyone wants to test it:

https://template.me.uk/outgoing/

and progress all the way through the checkout.  You'll get an email sent by this new system - so PLEASE use a real email address...

This system is looking like another game-changer.

Just bought an item and received two e-mails.

Is it intended?

Thanks, Eddy

Gary has been letting me play around with his new Queued Email add-on and I thought I would try to dress up one of the emails.  I selected the standard Order Confirmation email and here is what I came up with.   It works a treat and is sent automatically in place of the stock Order Confirmation Email.   His system does a lot more then just replace the stock emails, so it'll be a must have when it's released.

Order-Confirmation.thumb.jpg.981db1c91a9c9f61b1721aa1bc6cc58c.jpg 

I'm still ironing out a few things and have to think of a better way to do one thing in particular - it's not a massive issue but a niggling little thing that I won't be happy until it is solved.   Hoping to get a couple more testers on board after I have solved that problem...

This one is quite a complicated piece of code, thanks to the two testers so far :thumbsup: for excellent feedback.

That is looking sweet @Dan Cole - really nice.

17 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@Dan Cole From the looks of things, I'm assuming you are sending HTML emails, right?

@burt Is this set up for either HTML and/or Plain Text emails? And, if so, can it send both (multi part ... 1 part plain text, 1 part HTML)?

M

@ArtcoInc It is indeed HTML....Gary is using the tep_mail function which sends both HTML and Text (assuming HTML is set to true, as I learned the hard way).   It works well but needs a bit of tweaking for linefeeds but otherwise handles it well.   I just needed to hack my slug.

Dan

@Dan Cole Thanks, Dan.

I was raised that emails were plain text, and anything else was an attachment. This is why my email client views plain text first, and HTML only if there is no plain text component (or, if I ask to view the HTML component). I rue the day that Microsoft chose to make emails HTML!

(slightly off topic) Since I have not played with HTML emails in osC, nor have I examined the tep_mail() function for this, if I set it to send HTML emails, does the tep_mail() function send *both* a plain text and HTML (multi-part) email, or *only* a HTML email? If 'only', do you know of a way of sending both, as a multi-part email?

M

7 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

(slightly off topic) Since I have not played with HTML emails in osC, nor have I examined the tep_mail() function for this, if I set it to send HTML emails, does the tep_mail() function send *both* a plain text and HTML (multi-part) email, or *only* a HTML email? If 'only', do you know of a way of sending both, as a multi-part email?

@ArtcoInc It sends both, in the same email, for those who were raised funny. 😂

Dan

On 4/2/2019 at 6:20 PM, ArtcoInc said:

Is this set up for either HTML and/or Plain Text emails? And, if so, can it send both (multi part ... 1 part plain text, 1 part HTML)?

Your outgoing template can be plain text or HTML.  HTML is just plain text made fancy after all ...

Most (though still not all) email clients these days can handle HTML well.

I've recoded a portion of this as my logic was causing a noticeable slowdown while creating and processing the outgoing emails queue.  It's now a bit simpler, yet gives the exact same details, and allows shopowner to more easily "send" himself (eg by cron or accessing a special page).

Will get this out to the two testers tonight for further feedback.  If that testing goes well, will then put a call out for a couple more testers.

36 minutes ago, burt said:

I've recoded a portion of this as my logic was causing a noticeable slowdown while creating and processing the outgoing emails queue.  It's now a bit simpler, yet gives the exact same details, and allows shopowner to more easily "send" himself (eg by cron or accessing a special page).

I noticed that too Gary and I look forward to seeing how it works "accessing a special page".   Great idea. 👍

Dan

@burt Gary I have been following this thread with interest. Love what you are doing it does sound good. If you want another tester I will be pleased to help if I can, Time is currently very short due to circumstances, but I may be able to input something.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still working on this as and when I can - want to get it as "right as possible" before too many people get their hands on it, as outgoing emails are a (very) important part of any shop.

Hello

My perspective as a shop owner is that emails such as request review, care of product or other information such as shipping are all sent in relation to when the goods are dispatched, not ordered, this does not necessarily mean at they will be at the same time, goods may need to be manufactured or maybe ordered in or other restriction to dispatch.

David

David

1 minute ago, DAVID3733 said:

Hello

My perspective as a shop owner is that emails such as request review, care of product or other information such as shipping are all sent in relation to when the goods are dispatched, not ordered, this does not necessarily mean at they will be at the same time, goods may need to be manufactured or maybe ordered in or other restriction to dispatch.

David

This would be why there is a delay on sending emails. 
Eg for a request_review:  60 days?  30 days?  choosable by individual shopowners.

Put another way...a pair of trousers straight off the peg might fit a 34" waist, but would be wayyy too small if someone eats too many pies.

Above see a post by Dan Cole with an attached message.

Just followed through and received 1 email below, which would be the create an account email.

No email from product purchase

To:Doug Pleasures

Apr. 17 at 3:08 p.m.

Dear Mr. Pleasures,

We welcome you to Burts Test Shop.

You can now take part in the various services we have to offer you. Some of these services include:

Permanent Cart - Any products added to your online cart remain there until you remove them, or check them out.
Address Book - We can now deliver your products to another address other than yours! This is perfect to send birthday gifts direct to the birthday-person themselves.
Order History - View your history of purchases that you have made with us.
Products Reviews - Share your opinions on products with our other customers.

For help with any of our online services, please email the store-owner: [email protected].

Note: This email address was given to us by one of our customers. If you did not signup to be a member, please send an email to [email protected].

image.png.d30c59ecf8f979120ff590b47a533fda.png

40 minutes ago, Dnj1964 said:

Just followed through and received 1 email below, which would be the create an account email.

No email from product purchase

• Create Account Email is not part of the Queued Email system (yet).
  • I had turned off one portion of the system to test something and then forgotten to turn it back on!  D'oh.
    It is now turned on again and so you should have received those two product_purchase emails
  • Also in the Queue for you:
    doug.jpg.324da186e9ae292b86101cf9c29da21f.jpg

Thank you very much for testing!

Just got the email below plus the email for order #39 too.

Huge space between Summary and order #

To:Doug Pleasures

Apr. 17 at 3:57 p.m.

Dear Doug, thank you for your order #40.

BOLD
Italic

Summary
------------------------------------------------------

Order Number: 40
Detailed Invoice: https://template.me.uk/outgoing/account_history_info.php?order_id=40
Date Ordered: Wednesday 17 April, 2019

Products
1 x Microsoft Internet Keyboard PS/2
1 x Unreal Tournament
1 x Samsung Galaxy Tab
1 x Hewlett Packard LaserJet 1100Xi

Delivery Address
Doug Pleasures
99 over-there ave.
useless, l9a5d8
one, Belize

Billing Address
Doug Pleasures
99 over-there ave.
useless, l9a5d8
one, Belize

Payment Method
Cash on Delivery for $1,414.96

A big BIG BIG Thank You from all of us here at Burtys Test Shop!

•  

Yep looks good, thanks.  Big gap is from my testing (of line breaks, as well as you can see such things as BOLD and Italic etc.

Thanks for testing.  Here;s the template that created that;

Dear {{FNAME}}, thank you for your order #{{OID}}.

<b>BOLD</b>
<i>Italic</i>

Summary

<table cellspacing="0" cellpadding="0" width="100%">
  <tr>
    <td><b>Order Number:</b></td>
    <td>{{OID}}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td><b>Detailed Invoice:</b></td>
    <td>https://template.me.uk/outgoing/account_history_info.php?order_id={{OID}}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td><b>Date Ordered:</b></td>
    <td>{{ORDER_DATE}}</td>
  </tr>
  <tr>
    <td><b>Status:</b></td>
    <td>{{ORDER_STATUS}}</td>
  </tr>
</table>

Products
{{PRODUCTS}}

Delivery Address
{{DELIVERY_ADDRESS}}

Billing Address
{{BILLING_ADDRESS}}

Payment Method
{{PAYMENT_METHOD}} for {{ORDER_VALUE}}

A big BIG BIG Thank You from all of us here at Burtys Test Shop!

Archived