• Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Email queuing system

DAVID3733

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent thank you Guys - *much* appreciated. 

I'll clean up one piece of code and write a readme, and then get it out for you guys to have a play with...by end of tomorrow you'll have it.

23 hours ago, burt said:

I believe this is now ready to test, if you are able to spend 5 minutes to create an account and perform a checkout I would greatly appreciate it:

Just ran a test order

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

@burt will this send the emails to who's accept  to get newsletters ? If yes then I think there is no problem with guest account (PWA) add-on because when you create account as guest there is no click box to accept the newsletters.. 

Get the latest Responsive osCommerce CE (community edition) here .

23 minutes ago, Omar_one said:

@burt will this send the emails to who's accept  to get newsletters ? If yes then I think there is no problem with guest account (PWA) add-on because when you create account as guest there is no click box to accept the newsletters.. 

It sends to whoever the shopowner is targeting with the individual modules.  In the example modules I've come up with, that's all customers...

I am certain this system is the acorn that will grow into what CE will use for emails in the future.

2 hours ago, altoid said:

Just ran a test order

The next activation (or perhaps the one after), you'll get;

• testing123 (inserted via admin)
  • review_request (date changed from 60 days to 1 day)

Report back how they look?

1 hour ago, Omar_one said:

58 minutes ago, burt said:

It sends to whoever the shopowner is targeting with the individual modules.  In the example modules I've come up with, that's all customers...

PWA uses an additional column in the customers table to flagg guest accounts (the ones which didn't have been auto deleted because the customer didn't finish correct on checkout_success.php).

So to avoid sending e-mails to guest customers, shopowners can just add to the queries the condition:

AND c.customers_guest != '1'

or this could be used generic for all shops:

AND (EXISTS (SELECT c.customers_guest FROM customers c) AND c.customers_guest != '1')

I didn't check the code, but it should do it.

2 hours ago, burt said:

The next activation (or perhaps the one after), you'll get;

• testing123 (inserted via admin)
  • review_request (date changed from 60 days to 1 day)

Report back how they look?

Received 4 and all's looking very nice.  

I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Gary I ran into an issue with the sql lines....

date_added datetime NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,

that ran okay on one of my databases but not on another. 

The error given was...

#1067 - Invalid default value for 'date_added'

I googled that and it suggested that I needed to change the datetime to TIMESTAMP.  I tried that and it created the tables but I haven't gone any further yet.  I'll do that but in the meantime I thought I'd post my experience with the sql query while I remembered what happened and what I did.

Okay I'm off to check out the admin area.

Dan 

5 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Why 4?

Dan

Looks like a welcome, order process, review request and a "test email"

Yes - the system does not yet replace the usual outgoing emails - but I am certain, in the near
future, something like this system has to be put in place for all emails.   

Template-able Emails - it has to be the future!

Whilst I have not seen what you are doing I have been following this thread with anticipation for anything better than is originally available. It sound like you are getting somewhere Gary. Well done.

I would love to see a system where order status update emails could be written specifically for the update status replacing the standard 'your order has been upgraded to' emails. And the same with the 'new customer' or other emails. They are all a bit plain and do nothing for future sales.

Like I say, cant wait to see where this leads as it sounds good.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

17 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Gary I ran into an issue with the sql lines....

that ran okay on one of my databases but not on another. 

The error given was...

#1067 - Invalid default value for 'date_added'

I googled that and it suggested that I needed to change the datetime to TIMESTAMP.  I tried that and it created the tables but I haven't gone any further yet.

Do you mean "the DEFAULT change to TIMESTAMP"? datetime should still be a valid field type, shouldn't it? CURRENT_TIMESTAMP appears to be a more recent addition to MySQL -- is the failing database a much older version? I think the intent is that it acts like INSERT INTO with a now() value, but it can now be defaulted to do that. For older MySQL versions, it won't work, and you may have to explicitly give a now() in the VALUES list. That, or declare a minimum MySQL version number.

1 hour ago, MrPhil said:

Do you mean "the DEFAULT change to TIMESTAMP"? datetime should still be a valid field type, shouldn't it? CURRENT_TIMESTAMP appears to be a more recent addition to MySQL -- is the failing database a much older version? I think the intent is that it acts like INSERT INTO with a now() value, but it can now be defaulted to do that. For older MySQL versions, it won't work, and you may have to explicitly give a now() in the VALUES list. That, or declare a minimum MySQL version number.

It failed on the older database.  Versions as follows:

Database it failed on:
MySQL 5.5.52-MariaDB

Database where it work.
MySQL 10.2.22-MariaDB

Changing...

to

date_added TIMESTAMP NOT NULL DEFAULT CURRENT_TIMESTAMP,

seems to have sorted it and the subsequent data seems identical.

Dan

• 2 weeks later...

Real life feedback/ideas from shopowners lead me to this change;

...it would be nice to be able to use the merge tags in the subject of the email message as well as the body.  ie to be able to reference customers names or order #s etc..

With one extra line of code in the main module I made this a reality, so now it's possible to use the {{TAG}} system in the Title as so:

og-titles.jpg.f6339c21a8f7daa53cf61c4fa108547b.jpg

and when received looks like (eg) this:

og-titles-2.jpg.68b8dcf5a2726b868a579d49fa3dbbcb.jpg

Pretty damned cool!  

We also now have Filtering (for the outgoing Queue).  Now easily see individual customers or slugs.

og-admin.jpg.45e3ca5735d7cff8263ac50c0a4d3af0.jpg

As an example, let's say that the Queue has 200 emails in it waiting to go out over the next 3 months.  Examples of use;

• You want to see all "birthday_greetings", select that slug from the dropdown and press go.  
  • You want to see all emails that are going out to a particular customer.  Select that customer and press go.
  • You want to see all "review_requests" going to a particular customers.  Select slug and customer, and press go.

This thing is getting better and better...

I've now created a module for order_success to replace the standard order success email that osC sends.  If anyone wants to test it:

https://template.me.uk/outgoing/

and progress all the way through the checkout.  You'll get an email sent by this new system - so PLEASE use a real email address...

This system is looking like another game-changer.

30 minutes ago, burt said:

If anyone wants to test it:

Tested and works well Gary....I think I'll dress this email up and go live with the system sometime over the weekend.  👍

Dan

Archived