• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

orders written to OSC admin but not to database

rmanbike

I believe all data is being populated on the OSC admin side, but when I go to cpanel / myphpadmin / to view the database, looks like since about 2016 their are no new records. 

Been using OSC for past 10 years, Started out with OSC 2.2 then updated to 2.3 about 6 years ago. Its a very customized build to order solution. I have had multiple developers work on this website, but one main developer that was the original developer worked on it last, about 4 years ago. Because of stroke I had 3 years ago, I move the website from a VPS to shared server. I dont think it has worked correctly since. And because of the results of the stroke, I had to stop taking orders. I did not make any other changes to the website, but noticed that I wasnt getting any orders after that, which was ok because I couldnt build the orders anyway. But now that I have gotten better, able to work some, I also have had 2 orders recently. None of which are in the database. But I can see the orders and other customers that have signed on in OSC admin. 

Checking log php errors are many and have attached. Should I go to my developer first or website host? 

PHP error log.zip

From your log i would say your host updated the PHP some time around Dec 2017 and your site has been logging errors ever since.

I would talk to your host and first just push back to the old PHP version and see if site functions again.

Then start looking to upgrade or fix the site.

I would think it's unlikly your host will have a 3 year old back up so it's down to you to see if you kept a copy before it stoped working.

Your error log shows many warnings about deprecated PHP functions, particularly class constructors. This means that your host has upgraded your PHP, and it's unhappy about some older osC code. If that's all the warnings you're getting, it should be possible to specify that "deprecated" errors can be suppressed in application_top.php files (search for E_DEPRECATED, I think, in this forum). This is NOT a permanent fix, but might be easier than trying to roll back the PHP version. Use the breathing room you've gained to upgrade to the current "Frozen" version. If your store is heavily modified, you'll have a lot of work ahead of you to fold your changes into the current version. Don't try to stay at old osC versions, or old PHP versions, for any longer than you absolutely have to.

Thanks very much Ambassador and MrPhil,  

I have contacted my host about downgrading to PHP 5.6 and I do understand about the need to use most recent versions of software. BUT that is going to require much expensive, time and resources, something that is just not available for me now. 

I know and remember that it was working with this version of PHP. 

I cant help but think about this proverb or saying: If it works dont fix it!

After checking in cpanel I see that my host is still using PHP version 5.6.

This one of their responses on this issue:

If you remember we did face issues during the migration of the website to web21 server. Your site was moved from a Linux-Plesk server to a Linux-cPanel server. Please find an update from that ticket.
---
The domain was moved from a Linux-Plesk server to a Linux-cPanel server which can cause several compatibility issues. This issue does not seem to be with the database. The database connectivity is fine and we have also checked it by recreating the databases same as that in the old server. We believe that there can be some path reference in the site files or databases which you will have to check with the developer. The site is moved to a new platform. You will have to contact a developer to make the site compatible in here. One of such incompatible entry we noted is in the table "configuration" where the Log Destination is given "/var/log/www/tep/page_parse_time.log" which is a location in Linux-Plesk servers. Hence it is better to consult a developer and make the site compatible in the new platform which will fix the issue.
---

The ticket for the migration task was QDG-218663 

The .htaccess file in the admin****** directory was renamed to fix an issue with the url https://www.icustomsofa.com/*********

As suggested the best possible was ahead would be to contact a developer and check this. 

They are right in what they say! You will always need to do some house keeping after moving from one platform to another.

Your best bet is to clear the error log and make a test order and follow the new erorrs in the log and fix each one untill you have them all cleared.

With PHP 5.6 you're getting those deprecated errors? That means that you were running on something even older (maybe 5.3 or 5.4) before. If you're still at osC 2.3 (anything shy of 2.3.4.1BS CE/Frozen) you're going to be in for a lot of headaches as you try to patch your store to run with up-to-date PHP versions. Keep in mind that anything earlier than PHP 7.1 is completely unsupported now. You're rolling dice with Death to keep running on anything earlier. If you think you'll only be running your store for a relatively short time, that may be an acceptable level of risk.

Customers have "signed on in the admin"? Oooh, that sounds not too good. Is this the store's admin (not good to let customers in), or a special area for the custom build function? That might not be too bad, but probably does have a lot of user interface work to deal with.

It's probably a little late to say, "I told you so," but all store owners need to keep detailed records of exactly what is installed, what add-ons are installed, what custom work was done, and why these things were done. The last item is so you don't spend time time trying to port your changes up to the latest version, only to find it can't be done, or it's already built in to the new store (e.g., mobile-friendly). If you don't have good records, someone might be able to get a copy of the original 2.3 (I think it's still available, in the archives) and compare file-by-file to your store to see what was done. It will be a lot of work, separating the wheat from the chaff, but at least you can have an idea of what a code change is for, and best decide how to proceed. If you're very lucky, much of the custom build work might be usable with little or no change. Good luck!

• 2 months later...

Archived