• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Direction oscommerce or something else

willid

I have used Oscommerce for a few years and it was running on php 5.*, but due to issues had to remove the website.

I know the current version is able to run on php 7.* but my questions are:

- Since reading I have found oscommerce is not updated that often as some people would like (I know people are busy with real life )

- Most Templates I have looked at run on php 5.2, can anyone recommend were to get templates which run on php 7.*

- If you were starting again, would you choose Oscommerce or another platform?

Many Thanks

As far as i know there are no templates for community edition, that's probably because of its' unofficial status.

I would still use osCommerce today because the vision for osC has always been a leen core. And most of the addons are still relevant or can be used to build upon.

2 hours ago, willid said:

I know the current version is able to run on php 7.* but my questions are:

Be careful! The official version downloadable from this site (2.3.4.1) does not run on PHP 7! It merely has the "deprecated" warnings shut off, which is basically useless. Use only one of the Community Supported versions: 2.3.4.1BS Frozen if you want a stable version, or Edge for more advanced features (if you don't mind something that's changing constantly). The good news is that both Frozen and Edge run on PHP 7.1 and are mobile-friendly (plus many other enhancements).

As for templates, that should not be your deciding factor. There is no official or clear cut definition of a "template" -- they range from replacing some CSS files all the way to replacing most of the code! Many templates, even paid ones, are dinosaurs still stuck back in osC 2.2 time (as much as ten years old), so be very careful about installing osC and then slapping in a template. You may end up with an obsolete system that will not run properly on PHP 7. At the least, get a written guarantee from the vendor that their template works with Frozen.

3 hours ago, willid said:

I will look at getting a template designed and then weigh up the pro's and con's.

Templates are not what they used to be. It used to be that a template would change everything about a shop - the appearance, the location of the infoboxes, the code used for certaint functions and so on. With the frozen version, most of that can be done with some css changes, by moving things around in admin with a few clicks and by installing addons. If you look around at many new shops, they do not rely heavily on old-style templates because that makes it more difficult to have a good mobile version. You may need to pay someone to create a decent logo or to make the css changes if you don't know how to do that, but purchasing a template is not the best way to go, in my opinion.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

35 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

Templates are not what they used to be. It used to be that a template would change everything about a shop - the appearance, the location of the infoboxes, the code used for certaint functions and so on. With the frozen version, most of that can be done with some css changes, by moving things around in admin with a few clicks and by installing addons. If you look around at many new shops, they do not rely heavily on old-style templates because that makes it more difficult to have a good mobile version. You may need to pay someone to create a decent logo or to make the css changes if you don't know how to do that, but purchasing a template is not the best way to go, in my opinion.

We have a logo already sorted so it is a case of css and layout.
Thank you

Archived