• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

How to Upgrade from 2.3 to current 2.4.3?

HeCares

I am new and due to PHP 5.x deprecation I need to upgrade 3 sites I am taking over for a client to version 2.4.3 from 2.3. From the Cpanel warnings I need to do this quickly before they stop providing security released on the old PHP.

#1 - Is there upgrade software provided to do this easily as Joomla, Wordpress and others do or does it have to be done manually. If manually is the answer I need a link to GOOD, understandable documentation on how to accomplish the upgrades.

#2 - Can I upgraded directly from 2.3 to 2.4.3 or do I have to do all 6 in between as well?

Thank you!

Blair Corbett (Newbie to OS Commerce)

There is no 2.4.3. There is a 2.3.4.1, which I presume you mean. Do not upgrade to the "official" 2.3.4.1 downloadable from this site; it is obsolete. Use osC 2.3.41BS "Frozen" (see link below in my signature) to get: PHP 7.1 capable, mobile-friendly, many new features, and more secure than the official release. You will end up having to do a fresh install of Frozen, and then migrate your database (and other data, such as images) over to the new system. This is done manually by comparing the old and new DB schemas. Finally, you have to determine what add-ons and custom work was done on the old sites, and how you will handle them on the new versions. There has been discussion here and there on the details of doing the conversion, but that's the gist of it.

I downloaded the file from your signature area MrPhil.

Starting from the part where you said we had to "do a fresh install of Frozen, and then migrate your database (and other data, such as images) over to the new system." Even that is new to me. Is there anywhere that explains this more step to step? The person that installed OS Commerce on the Lunar Pages host died 2 years ago, leaving us with no teaching or information on how to do any of this.

I have 3 sites to be concerned with under public_html of our host. I am completely unsure ow to install Frozen under one of those existing domains, get it set up, then migrate old to new so that any of it will continue functioning. The owner DOES NOT want to lose ANY SEO or LINKS from the old sites.

@HeCares Blair,

I will say this as politely as possible ... IMHO, in the best interest of your client, you really should hire someone experienced with osCommerce to perform these migrations. It would be a lot to ask of the community (we are all volunteers here) to try and walk you through all of the steps necessary, and not risk messing up your client's SEO, etc.

You can post a RFQ in the commercial area of this forum.

M

@HeCaresThis thread on upgrading may help a little. But I think you will find you need someone experienced with converting a shop as @ArtcoIncmentioned. If done correctly, you won't lose any data, like customers, orders and products, nor any SEO and Links..

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

@HeCares I have sent you a PM. I didn't see that you had posted additional information anywhere else.

Not being a Partner or Sponsor, apparently I can't read the Commercial Support Inquiries section. If you have already posted there, please be assured that I'm not trying to step on anyone.

Archived