• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't get past first installation step

zymagoras

Hi all, first time installing. I keep getting this:

The webserver is not able to save the installation parameters to its configuration files.

The following files need to have their file permissions set to world-writeable (chmod 777):

/var/www/html/catalog/includes/configure.php
/var/www/html/catalog/admin/includes/configure.php

First i changed both configure.php permissions to 777, didn't help, then changed all "catalog folder" with it's files to 777 - same. I'm running my own linux server.

Screenshot (4).png

Your server may require a certain owner and group to allow it it read/write files. Owner apache and/or root may not be defined as valid owners/groups, check with your web server documentation.

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

9 minutes ago, Mikepo said:

Your server may require a certain owner and group to allow it it read/write files. Owner apache and/or root may not be defined as valid owners/groups, check with your web server documentation.

Thanks man!! My issue was that my server runs on CentOS 7 with SELinux permissions. This is how i sorted it:

sudo chcon -t httpd_sys_rw_content_t /var/www/html/catalog/includes/configure.php -R
sudo chcon -t httpd_sys_rw_content_t /var/www/html/catalog/admin/includes/configure.php -R

1. Never try to run a live, public-facing website on your own server. Hackers know far more about security vulnerabilities than you ever will, and they will eat your lunch. It's OK to run your own server if you're only playing around to see if you want to get into running a site, or experimenting with something like a PHP version that your commercial host doesn't yet support. Otherwise, stick with a professional hosting service.
  2. Since you're just starting out, make sure you are running the right osCommerce if you actually want to run a production store. It should be 2.3.4.1BS "Frozen" (or, if you're adventurous and don't mind constant changes, "Edge"). Do NOT under any circumstances run the "official" 2.3.4.1 release -- it is totally obsolete. Do not run osC v 3.0 -- it is experimental/developmental. Don't even try running osC 2.4 -- it's not really yet ready for production use.
  3. Ignore instructions to chmod to 777. They're just telling you that the PHP process running on the server needs to be able to read and write the files. First of all, .php files rarely need the execute bit set any more (so 666 would be sufficient). Second, many modern servers don't even allow "world writable" files or directories, and will give you a 500 error if you try. Always start with typical default file permissions (usually 644) and add write permissions (+020 and/or +002) as needed. Instructions to chmod to 777 may have been reasonable 20 or 30 years ago, but back then you could trust anyone else sharing your machine to be honorable. You can't now. Always start with the most restrictive permissions your site will function with, and loosen restrictions only upon demonstrated need.

Archived