• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Support thread for JcM Product info Stock CE

22 minutes ago, Antonio Garcia said:

1.- Are the CE compatible  addons  banned here? I see a lot of good, usefull, interesting ones in the addoms area being the 'blood' of this almost catatonic project. With good people trying 'go forward' this project.

At the very start of the CE project, it was made well known that addons for it were not to be uploaded to the addons area and that the project as a whole was unwelcome.  It took *years* to change that view to get at least some sort of official acceptance.  

If the view has changed in the last few days, based on what the OP has stated (that he is in touch with HPDL), well that is (good) news to me.  There is an awful lot of crap in the addons area - some of dating back years and some of it mine 😂

Thanks for all your addons and all the support you offer the oscommerce community Zahid. Much appreciated. A good idea is a good idea regardless of coding talent. I'd like to think we are all here to help and learn from each other. The community spirit is the life blood of this project and hopefully will continue onwards and upwards.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

8 minutes ago, burt said:

If the view has changed in the last few days, based on what the OP has stated (that he is in touch with HPDL), well that is (good) news to me

Don't know if it has changed or not, but I was told I was more than welcome to continue uploading.

14 hours ago, burt said:

If the view has changed in the last few days, based on what the OP has stated (that he is in touch with HPDL), well that is (good) news to me.  There is an awful lot of crap in the addons area - some of dating back years and some of it mine 😂

So, if you are right, I'm happy too!!!

Harald, please, please, PLEASE, can you re-desing the addons area were we can find the following?

• Estate the Compatibility with the osC versions?
  • Rating of the users
  • Languages availables and how can contribute to this.
  • Allow 'lite' addons of commercial ones
  • A warning with very old addons...
  • A good starting point:  https://es.wordpress.org/plugins/

If you can't do it, please ALLOW to do it by the rest of this OPEN SOURCE comunity.

Thanks!

(copy to HPDL by PM)

My problem with some of the latest addons added to the addon area, is that some are based on one persons paid for work. That work is done and offered to users to attract customers for that person, not to have people use the base of the code and release for free. Tha's surely taking work from the coder that first created the code. It would be fine if it improved on the original code, but in most cases it doewsnt as apparent by some of the comments here. But if thats the way that oscommerce is going, then so be it with HPDLs blessing apparently. May be addons should be created under a different licence that prevents that happening and something that protects the original creators intellectual property.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

13 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

That work is done and offered to users to attract customers for that person, not to have people use the base of the code and release for free. Tha's surely taking work from the coder that first created the code. It would be fine if it improved on the original code, but in most cases it doewsnt as apparent by some of the comments here.

And what if any proof do you have of this? Anyone who thinks the work is protected in anyway can allways ask for it to be removed.

Paid work on osCommerce is alive and kicking! I decided to check it out as we have had a number of people continuously post negative comments about osC official on this forum.

I simply checked a number of site that are setup for freelance work for coders, I will not state names as they are easly found on google.

One of the main sites has over 40 thousand osC projects! and more beeing add daily, curently several live project ranging from $50 to over $1000 from 2.2a to current version.

So  pleanty of work for those willing to engage with customers using osC and clearly plenty of shopowners willing to put had in walllet and pay to have work done.

44 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

And what if any proof do you have of this? Anyone who thinks the work is protected in anyway can allways ask for it to be removed.

So many of your addons are based on code from a developer here who never releases free addons which can be seen by the disclaimer in that software. I hope you dont want me to name names because I wont. The IP still belongs to the originator of the code, noit the person who paid for the code which is why you need the original disclaimer in your releases of the code.

There are some people on this forum who will not actively pay to support the software, but will happily take what was paid for code for free, even as we have seen further back in this tread that the code is worse than the original.

But thats an argument that I am not going to get into on this forum.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

36 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

So many of your addons are based on code from a developer here who never releases free addons which can be seen by the disclaimer in that software.

Oh and just so you understand it's just common courtesy as well as a requirement to display the original disclaimer. Also Burt actualy suggested what to displayed when there was minimal change when using one of his bits of code.

Archived