• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Overwriting system files

CartDesign

I'm not sure I understand what you are asking but if you want to know if you can upload all of the files in a new version over an old version, the answer is, most likely, no, you can't do that.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

A new installation of osC would overwrite any file that you've changed. It can be done, with care -- you need to keep track of all your customized files, save them to the side when overwriting the existing installation, and then manually put your custom changes back in. I don't know if we'll ever get back to the old way of incremental updates on new osC versions -- add-on-like updates that might preserve your changes.

Do be sure to look at recent add-ons for osC 2.3.4.1BS (CE) -- the idea is to get away from changing "core" files. You might be able to configure your desired changes in the same manner, so that a new install won't wipe you out, but no promises. Speaking of add-ons, first look at existing add-ons to see if what you want has already been done!

Contrast this with CMSs like Drupal, where all the customization is either stored in the database, or in an approved library of new PHP code, so typically you would never modify their PHP code yourself.

14 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Do be sure to look at recent add-ons for osC 2.3.4.1BS (CE) -- the idea is to get away from changing "core" files. You might be able to configure your desired changes in the same manner, so that a new install won't wipe you out, but no promises. Speaking of add-ons, first look at existing add-ons to see if what you want has already been done!

This is the best solution to keep changes away from the core. Are there any tutorials about creating add-ons?

Archived