• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Login with PayPal - changes required?

Roaddoctor

Received this yesterday:

Important notice regarding your Login with PayPal integration.

PayPal will make a change to the Identity API, an API that you use as part of your integration with Login with PayPal (now known as Connect with PayPal). Depending upon how your integration consumes the API, you may need to make changes by March 4, 2019, to continue using this service. As part of this change, we’ll no longer return several values in the API.

You can use our API documentation and make the necessary changes to your integration.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact us.

Thanks,

PayPal Merchant Services

FAQ

How can I easily identify what needs to be changed?

You can follow the API documentation to see if your integration will continue to work with attributes available via the API.

I’m not a developer and I don’t understand what needs to be changed. How can I get this fixed?

Because your integration is specific to your solution, we suggest you contact your developer. If you need further assistance, you can find a developer through our PayPal Partner Solutions Directory.

What will happen if I do not make these changes?

There is no impact to your integration if it uses the attributes available in the API documentation. If not, your application may have to handle the changes to continue working.

-Dave

I'll try to have a look into this in the next couple of days and see what the impact is.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

OK - what I've gleaned is that the "identity API" has been rebranded from Log In with Paypal to Connect with Paypal.

I haven't found anything that actually compares them and highlights the differences. If the PP message is to be believed and everything will keep working unless you're trying to use an attribute that's not supported, you shouldn't need any code changes.

You may need to change some settings, though. The only list of attributes I found in my quick trawl around is quite a lot shorter than those available in the module settings in osc. I got them here: https://developer.paypal.com/docs/integration/direct/identity/attributes/ but the context is a bit different so it might not be exhaustive. This is the list there:

Full name Personal Information profile
Email address Address Information email
Street address Address Information address
City Address Information address
State Address Information address
Country Address Information address
Zip code Address Information address

so if you use things like date of birth it may not be available any more.

If you are taking things off the list in your module settings, you may still get problems if your app has permission set on them (in developer.paypal...)  - or you may not, finding that out is a future joy.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Thanks - that's just a link to the api call for user info and has nothing about what has changed. However, when paypal make a major breaking change there's typically lots of info so it seems reasonable to infer that they aren't changing too much - they're not saying that the integration needs to use a different call or that it works differently, just flagging up that fewer attributes will be returned. Big changes have previously been made available in the sandbox before live for testing purposes, that doesn't seem to be the case here so I don't think there's a way to test the change before it's applied to the live endpoint.

My advice is: check your settings and be sure that you're only using name, email address and postal address. If that's the case then there shouldn't be a problem.

If you rely on having another piece of info (eg. a site that only sells to adults and requires data of birth) then you may need to do some other work to ensure this data is provided outside the integration.