• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Support thread for JcM Custom Information Modal Box

A simple add-on to let you place a Custom Modal Button onto your site.

You can use it for whatever you need as it can be totaly customised in admin.

You can change the button and the content as you like in admin.

It can contain a simple text message or be as complex as you like.

It has been tested on CEBS4 and CE BS3 only.

Enjoy.

image.png.917fe6b1a71d7567cf025a69d128b712.png

image.png.0e035b436135c11cf21e226438b50785.png

image.png.33eb9c80c77f07c21b5cbecdfcb9c16d.png

11 minutes ago, Gyakutsuki said:

You can propose an update no ? Collaboration is not the goal ?

I don't know if he has or not - hence my question. 
I'm basing an assumption on looking at the admin image.

Thoughts?

Languages:  (usually in the) language file.

If you removed the "Custom Information Name" input from the module (along with the key), and instead placed the same "define" into the language file...that would then be more multi-lingual.  Repeat for title.  Repeat for content.  

Thank you for the advice it's been noted.

Anyone with issues regarding languages there is a very simple solution which is more flexable and offer about 80 languages to select from for your customers and requires no work from you to maintain a laguage pack or install one.

Simply use google translate.! You can add the script yourself to your site or use this simple addon that uses it.

https://apps.oscommerce.com/mYuUD&info-box-with-google-translate-bs4

you can try it on the test site https://chilleddisplays.co.uk/

image.png.cf1a7345e58deeb20cef2e96c2c572e0.png

It seems it doesn't work on mobile (Android).

Some translations are just painfull: "View" gets in German translated to "Aussicht" which is used for a landscape view but never in the english sense of "View details, more".

Movie titles may be totally different in other languages and often have nothing to do with the translation.

Replace a well made human translation by Google translation may be possible in a few years but not now. It hurts my eyes.

1 hour ago, raiwa said:

Replace a well made human translation by Google translation

This is correct but how many of these do we have? For those that don't have this it's better than a poke in the eye! 😊

Oh and works fine on my android phone, never mind it's not going to be suitable for everyone but that's ok.

Screenshot_20190209-112956.png

22 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Oh and works fine on my android phone

Yes it works. I just wasn't patient enough to wait 30-60 seconds for the translation to appear until the bottom of the page 🙄

So it works, but I would not call it fine.

What about the stores which have already real multilanguage implemented. They shall they add the Google translation only for your modules which are missing multilanguage support?

As always @raiwa  your feedback is welcome. However remember the add-on's are not compulsory for you are anyone else. If you like it use it,  if not use somthing else.

I would think this is an opportunity for the profesional developer to make a proper multiligual version and offer it for sale.

For me I will keep making what I can with my limited skills and hopfully one or two people will like it and use it.

47 minutes ago, raiwa said:

What about the stores which have already real multilanguage implemented. They shall they add the Google translation only for your modules which are missing multilanguage support?

This is a very good point you make and I understand what you are saying. However from my experiance very few use this function and those that do use maybe at most 1 or 2 aditional languages. So for this I would say YES definatly add Google translate to your store every time. Why?

1) It's free and takes a few minutes to do

2)You can now offer your customers around 80 languages insted of 1 or 2!

3) Requires absolutely no maintenance by you! All you need is to maintain one main language which will make adding and editing products much simpler for you.

In the end it's for each store operator to make there own mind up on this but I think looking forwared more sites will be single languge and make more and more use of auto translate.

6 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

2)You can now offer your customers around 80 languages insted of 1 or 2!

Google translator translate very well from english to another language, but from another language to another language or to english ... it is the circus !

Sometimes, in the same day, the text is not translated identically. For me, Google Translator is not the solution for a merchant site where every word of a product description is important. It's just good for a personal site ... as long as you do not understand the translated language and believe that the translation is perfect ...

with OsC 2.2 since 2006 ...

That's ok not everyone will like this option which is fine, but as I said before " it's better than a poke in the eye! 😊 "

It will get better with time and I dont see any alternative as no one has the time to maintain the language packs most of which are out of date!

Archived