• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Site Meta Tags not applying when tested.

Ken_Shea

there's no default.htm for osCommerce.

The homepage title you can edit / set in includes/languages/english.php, look for 

// page title

approx line 50 of the file.

Categories, manufacturers and product titles and meta description you can set in the Admin when you edit the individual pages.

4 hours ago, Ken_Shea said:

The "Title" shows when analyzing but nothing else

The reason you add what you displayed is for, mostly, SEO purposes and having just one entry, or the same entry for each page, s a mistake.

If you are using the CE version, it has modules built-in to handle the titles and descriptions. Otherwise, you should install HeaderTags SEO.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

10 hours ago, Jack_mcs said:

The reason you add what you displayed is for, mostly, SEO purposes and having just one entry, or the same entry for each page, s a mistake.

If you are using the CE version, it has modules built-in to handle the titles and descriptions. Otherwise, you should install HeaderTags SEO.

Is there an appropriate SEO mod  Using OSC v2.3.4.1 BS EDGE

I had never seen a title meta tag before this thread. Apparently you can specify different titles for a page via

<meta name="title" content="My Title" />

and

<title>My Other Title</title>

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21076201/difference-between-meta-name-title-tag-and-title-title-tag discusses the difference between the two, although there seems to be debate over who actually uses the meta variety. That was several years ago, so maybe things have changed. Anyway, does having a meta title really have a significant impact on SEO? Is it worth the bother?

@MrPhilGood catch. I didn't look at the example very closely. I saw the meta keywords and figured it was for SEO. The meta title is not used by any search engines for SEO that I am aware of. But the title tag, as I'm sure you know, is quite important. It sets the theme for the page it is on and all search engines use it. I suppose the meta title might be used by some social site but most have unique names, like twitter:title, so it seems unlikely.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

Archived