• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

File permissionsI

Ken_Shea

I am able to write to the configuration file: /home/public_html/catalog/includes/configure.php. This is a potential security risk - please set the right user permissions on this file.

What would be the proper permissions?

Set it to 0755 (was 0644) with no change in warning.

Thanks

Just now, Hotclutch said:

Do you mean UTF8? It's normally the old addons that have these kind of tables. There's an option at the bottom where you can try to convert the collation to UTF8.

LOL, UFO , yes it was supposed to be UTF8, I'll give that a try

The warning to use cPanel (any control panel, not necessarily the cPanel(tm) product) is because most servers nowadays simply ignore chmod requests from FTP (a security exposure). People try to set permissions via FTP and are puzzled because the permissions didn't seem to change.

Ken, if you're that fuzzy about what's going on, "Edge" may not be a good choice for you. If this is a fresh install, you should probably be using "Frozen" instead, which is stable. Edge is still under development and can change from week to week (is unstable). If you're not an experienced programmer, you should avoid it.

2 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

The warning to use cPanel (any control panel, not necessarily the cPanel(tm) product) is because most servers nowadays simply ignore chmod requests from FTP (a security exposure). People try to set permissions via FTP and are puzzled because the permissions didn't seem to change.

Ken, if you're that fuzzy about what's going on, "Edge" may not be a good choice for you. If this is a fresh install, you should probably be using "Frozen" instead, which is stable. Edge is still under development and can change from week to week (is unstable). If you're not an experienced programmer, you should avoid it.

I never use FTP, so thatr's a moot warning.

Al little late for that MrPhil LOL, BTW it's the version you suggested back when :)

Of course I'm fuzzy about whats going on, you were too at one point, 95% of the people posting are fuzzy about OSC

Since Gary froze a snapshot of "Edge" as "Frozen", I've been recommending "Frozen" for those who want a stable, working shop. Before that, there was only "Edge", so that's what I recommended. As you're obviously still in startup on this thing, you should consider reinstalling with Frozen, as Edge is quite unstable. But, the choice is yours.

It's "unstable" in the sense that Gary can change it radically from day to day, not that it's not working or likely to blow up. It's a test bed, not really something to base a production shop on. To each his own...

Archived