• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Laravel Ecommerce System

JcMagpie

Hi Ashley @Hotclutch
You can always contact the good developers by PM.
But it's good that they have a "catalog" with their paid addons.
If for a few dollars you can buy an addon and hundreds of users do it, You help those developers be more creative. They can have a free basic version and a more complete but paid version ...

What we have to change is the way we do things. Get new people and give it a larger scale. The bases are already here. Only the will of a few is lacking.

Kiss

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

Honestly things don't change that much that fast.
Depend where you are, compare the of osc2.3 and now. it's another world, that 's why some programmer does not come here and the activity decrease.
The professional investment are now on Laravel, symphony ... If you propose another technology, the professional must evaluate the time to invest and know the solution compared to where is this expertise. Some conversations go in this sense in the meetup.

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

I don't think having a market place here is a good thing. There's nothing preventing a developer from having his own web address and promoting themselves there.

As for the reasons why people don't come here anymore and the activity decrease, that's a discussion best had on another forum. @Gyakutsuki

Hi Ashley @Hotclutch

I respect your opinion, but we have to give a chance to the marcketplace !! It is easier to concentrate everything on 1 site than to spend hours investigating what each developer does.

In the market there are several new ecarts as clickshopping that come with many addons already incorporated, such as:

- WYSIWYG to create your products description, content with CKeditor4.x
- Image Editor with ElFInder 2.x
- Full SEO functionalities
- Extension System to install new Applications
- GDRP included and some regulation aspect
- Ready for mobile, table and desktop with BootStrap 4.x technology
- Multi template
- multi-currency
- and much more...

Some of these addons are free in the app markets, but surely several are not. If you could add or get pro versions of these addond for a few dollars, to several of us (basic users with little knowledge) we might be interested in buying them.

Well, it is my humble opinion.

Kiss

Valqui

:heart: Community Oscommerce fan :heart: You'll find the latest osC community version here.

I am not really for or against a paid market place. And i have nothing against developers trying to sell their services. I think there must be a clear line between what is purported  to be free and something the developer wants payment for. I don't think a paid market place will make any difference to the quality of the core cart.

At the end of day it's H's decision to have one or not, if it were mine i would not allow it. And that's how it was in the beginning anyway. One problem that can be foreseen with a market place is that there will be shady operators (and there were in the past), which means that you will need to have some vetting system in place. So i don't know if it's worth the trouble.   

4 hours ago, Gyakutsuki said:

The problem appears when you start to make some money when you begin to have some visitors or a specific need in function of your business model.

Who remember Oracle's $1million challenge and it was about taking the canned codes as it and altering your corp workflow rather than implementing expensive customizations?

That's is! Customers just hv to understand that one do hv to pay to play, and one should really try making COTS software works before any customization. It is not true that with Shopify you cannot customize. You can and it just cost money. We got a general quote from them once and the cost varies--$500 to $8k to start. In the grand scheme of things $8k is cheap when you compare it to an annual F5 load balancer contract, ~$4k per month...and that's just the load balancer...coloc, aws, or whoever, it can easily be another $10 to $20 k per month...

Try using SW as it is best...

And I've been saying let the framework people do frameworks...devs just focus on functionalities and codes...

It is not true that with Shopify you cannot customize.
Good to know

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

On 1/28/2019 at 6:15 PM, clustersolutions said:

Who remember Oracle's $1million challenge and it was about taking the canned codes as it and altering your corp workflow rather than implementing expensive customizations?

😊 But this is not allways true! I was involved in introducing a MRP system into a company. The brief given to the consultants was "we need our current paper systems which we have developed over many years and that work perfectly incoperated into a digital MRP" The budget was both very generous and flexible! They failed miserably after many months of trying! Problem they took a offthe shelf system and tweeked it a bit and said that should do! When the work force used it and it failed they too said "Yes but you need to adapt your work flow to suite the new system" 😂 This apperes to be a stock answer given every time this type of implamentation is *@~#-up by so called IT consultants.

Just as the UK Gov or NHS one disaster after another when it comes to IT. Anyone remember this headine?

"Abandoned NHS IT system has cost £10bn so far"

How the ~@?# can you spend that much and not know your being taken for a ride!

@JcMagpie yea, cultural change is next to impossible, I always say to give the customer what they want and not what one think is right. Also, I think with any implementation, its cost should be close to 50% of the total. A lot of small businesses do not realize that putting money aside for implementation is equally important as software/infrastructure cost.

I give the customer what they want, but I make sure I tell them my concerns about it and why they should consider doing it differently. That way I'm covered (in writing) if things don't work out with what they want. It takes some diplomacy to do this in a way that won't anger a customer.

That said, think carefully before doing anything that requires a change to the workflow or even worse, to the corporate culture. That is always tremendously expensive -- far more costly than anyone would guess. It may be that a Band-Aid patch to computerize some manual paperwork will end up being only the first step, and a suboptimal one at that, but the cost (including disruptions to work) of making lots of people change their ways may just be too much for the customer to bear. Every case is different.

Archived