• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

mutliple domain names? redirects?

oscommer1

This is not OsCommerce specific and do not require any modification in the OsCommerce configure files.

You can do this in the main/root .htaccess file of the domain from where you wants to redirect.

Google for something like ".htaccess redirect to another domain".

Also, if your hosts control panel has the option (most do, I think), you can add the redirect there. But however you do it, the other domain has to be pointing to the server of the main domain so you will have to make a change at the registrar if that is not the case.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

All of My Addons

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

The domain names in the configure.php files are used for generating outbound links from the store, and perhaps a few miscellaneous items such as canonical tags. They do not change what name the server it's running on sees or uses. If you have a store running under a given domain name, and you want to change that domain, you need not only to change the configure.php entries to the new domain, but also register the new domain and point it to the server (it could be on a new server).

If you are looking to redirect (point) another domain to this cart (as an alias?), you can certainly do a redirect from wherever the other domain is hosted (a redirect within .htaccess is one way). However, you will have some problems, as the store will still be hard coded to the first domain's name, and produce links, etc. under that name. If you are looking to change the name of the store, but allow it to be accessed under an old name, that can be done, too.

Perhaps you could explain in detail what effect you're looking to achieve here?

Thanks. Basically just trying to have cart accessed by multiple names. Just wasn't sure if cart would be confused by a different domain name access using forwarding from registrar. I have seen some software get confused with URL rewrites etc.

@oscommer1

If you want Site1.com, Site2.com. and Site3.com to all point to Cart99.com, that's easy. But, once the customer is in Cart99.com, it will say that they are in Cart99.com.

If you want Site1.com, Site2.com, and Site3.com to all point to a common cart, but you want the customer to think that they are still at the original site, that's a different situation.

So, what is it you want?

M

If it's possible one way or another to have several names pointing to the same site, where %{HTTP_HOST} is various strings, it might be interesting to feed %{HTTP_HOST} to the program (as URL Query String). The value would be used to override the domain name used in configure.php settings, making it look like a number of domains are hosting this store. Has anyone seen something like that? Offerings might be adjusted depending on "who" is hosting the store. I would be worried that some bad actor could point a random domain to your store and somehow hijack it. That might be prevented by having a hard coded whitelist of domains allowed to do this.

Archived