• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UPS XML - Possible to remove address verification?

OldPete

Just updated to the latest version on UPS XML Module.  I have it up and working.  I'm interested in finding out how to remove the part that sends the address to UPS for verification so that I can remove it.

The issue, sadly, is this, and I'll be blunt - so many people don't know their correct address, but as merchants, we're able to figure it out.  If we let oscommerce determine this, in our case, we'll lose the sale (been down this road with other ecommerce platforms).

Thoughts? Thanks, Pete

So what happens if you remove address validation, and UPS is unable to deliver? It seems like that would be a major inconvenience for all parties. What's the downside of having UPS verify that they can deliver to that address? They're going to know the customer's address anyway, so it's not like they're being let in on a secret.

6 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

So what happens if you remove address validation, and UPS is unable to deliver? It seems like that would be a major inconvenience for all parties. What's the downside of having UPS verify that they can deliver to that address? They're going to know the customer's address anyway, so it's not like they're being let in on a secret.

In our case we do our own verification when the label is generated.  Often a customer will write 1123 Main Street instead of 123 Main Street.  So when the label is generated it is flagged.  We then call the customer and get the correct address.  If we left it to our ecommerce engine we could see a potentially lost sale because an agreeable shipping method wasn't selected.  Would you happen to know how to remove that part of it?  I seem to recall you were extremely knowledgeable in a previous modification needed some time ago. :)

10 minutes ago, yungi said:

another reason I like the old UPS module (non-XML) better.. 😉

I'm pretty certain it can parsed out somehow... I just have to figure it out.  FYI, If you need to get rid of the Dimensional Weight "stuff" in the shipping option display.  It's easy:

Around line 245 in the main file:

//THIS IS REMOVED BY PETE - DIMENSIONAL WEIGHT
              //$method_name .= ' (' . MODULE_SHIPPING_UPSXML_TEXT_BILLED_WEIGHT . $svc['billed_weight'] . ' ' . $upsxml_text_weight[$svc['weight_code']] . ')';
                        //END PETE

comment out the line in red... and it goes away. :)

Maybe a better approach would be to leave the UPS interface alone, but validate the address before you send it to UPS? Unfortunately, it sounds like a manual operation on your end right now. If it can be automated (USPS, Google Maps?) you could alert the customer right then and there that the address looks "off" -- please check your entry and update if necessary. As a bonus, a verified address might also make available additional address information such as county and inside/outside city limits, useful for determining sales tax jurisdictions and thus, rates. Does UPS bounce back the bad address right away, while the customer is still in the checkout process? At least, the customer could correct the address themselves at that point (new code needed on the osC end). I think that in general, address validation during checkout would be quite useful.

Thanks for the reply Phil... really appreciate it.  In this case, for this site, that won't help me.

I really could use someone who knows how to turn off the verification.  Do you know how to do that by any chance?  It would be fantastic if you did.

Sorry, I'm not familiar with the UPS add-on.

Now, why are they sending the address to UPS in the first place? I assume that it's to get a rate quote. If the address is only off a little, the error in the rate charged may be small, but if the customer gave the wrong state by accident, that could be catastrophic. What if they want the package sent to Carlsbad, NM instead of Carlsbad, CA? Watch out for auto-completion giving a wrong state! If UPS returns a flag that such-and-such a field in the shipping address appears to be in error, and the customer is still there in checkout, it should be possible for osC to present the shipping address and ask the customer to check/update it. I'd be surprised if it didn't do that already, but if it doesn't, it should be possible to add that to osC.

If you managed to turn off the address verification, what would be the expected results? You would still manually fix the address before shipping out the package, but would you have quoted the wrong shipping rate? I think you may be fixated on the wrong thing (turning off verification, rather than letting the customer fix an incorrect address).

I'll give an example.  We have another add-on, shipping estimate -- it works solely on zipcode -- funny enough now that I think about it, the hint may be in that code - because it is using the UPS XML module, yet getting information with only the zip!!!... hmmm... ok... onward with my reply).  Up until this new-to-us addon (UPS XML), the previous UPS Module (that came with the older oscs) also only used the zip code... so, in a perfect world, it would be great if it defaulted and only used the zip code - which would then trigger the automatic Residential rate which is what I also want (instead of determining if it is residential or commercial (which is one of the reasons that it take the whole address)).

As far as "letting the customer fix an incorrect address".  I could write a book but I'll keep it short:
1) Many new addresses aren't always added when they should be.

2) Many address will show as invalid, yet you can Google Street View and look right at it.

3) The most important: After 30+ years in the retail game... I can, 100% without ANY doubt, tell you that if you think you'll going to rely on a customer to "fix" something -- you're dreaming.  They will just move on to a site that doesn't have the barrier.

You'll just have to take it from me -- forcing the verification is a great way to lose sales.  Think about it -- even more advanced sites will ask you, "We found this address... or do you want to use yours..." -- that's not an option with the module - it simply won't display UPS, and will, instead, only display USPS, which is often double the price.

I hope this clears it up -- I'd really like to get the thread back on track with what is needed, and spend less time explaining. ;)

Interesting...

So... If you have the wrong house number and/or a street that does not exist, it still returns all shipping options. (This is good).

If you wrote, Moonbeam Park, FL 33441 -- it does NOT return the information.  33441 is a legit zip code -- however there is no Moonbeam Park.

If you use the shipping estimator, and enter 33441 it works just fine.  So... that's an interesting conundrum... I can see the value in it, but I also know people who think they live in a town that is really called something else... curious module...