• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

bnguru

I changed hosting companies and found that OS won't run under new versions of php. They rolled me back which got my store back, but I'm unable to get into admin to manitain products and orders.  Instead of the gray screen with boxes I get a white "DOS" looking screen seer below and an error upon logging in: Error Error: Invalid administrator login attempt.

I followed many threads on this and can't figure it out.  Any thoughts?

image.thumb.png.db63db7f39db4c142797bf9eec9546ac.png

Steve in Ellenton, FL

@bnguru

Can you access the shop side of your store? Has your domain name changed?

In osCommerce, there are two configuration files: one for the shop side, and one for the administer side. These files tell the program where to find specific files on the server. If you have moved your shop to a new host without changing these two files, the program is trying to look for specific files on your old host's server.

Assuming you have a basic, generic installation, the two files are located here:

shop side ---->    <your domain name>/catalog/includes/configure.php

admin side ---->  <your domain name>/catalog/<admin directory>/includes/configure.php

(note: the default name of the admin directory is 'admin', but it may have been changed for security reasons)

If you have access to the files on your host's server, find these two files. If you have any questions regarding these files, you can post them here .... BUT DELETE ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION, SUCH AS YOUR DATABASE NAME, ADMINISTRATOR NAME, AND PASSWORD !

M

Besides updating your two configure.php files to reflect changed directory paths, and possibly new domain, you might have a problem with PHP levels and changes to how passwords are handled. You can look around for information on how to remove the current administrator (it may be as simple as truncating the administrator table in phpMyAdmin, but try to check first) and insert a new one. Your customers may also have trouble logging in if that's the cause.

Your images look like perhaps you're not getting the CSS files. You can look at the page source (Ctrl+U on most browsers) to see where it's getting the osC .css and .js files from, and see if the address is wrong. If you're lucky, fixing the configure.php files may fix this.

While you're at it, since you are apparently at a very old osC level, you should go ahead and install the latest, 2.3.4.1BS "Frozen" (see link in my signature below) and migrate your data to it. Then you can run on up to PHP 7.1, have a lot of fixes, a lot of new features, and be responsive (mobile-friendly). It's foolish to stay at any official osC release (which is obsolete and won't run on most systems), including the one offered on this very site.

Phil, I downloaded the new version but haven't unzipped it yet.  Question:  Is there a way to migrate the data from current databases so I don't need to start from scratch? Again - not unzipped so have read the readme files.

Steve in Ellenton, FL

Yes, it is possible to migrate your old database and files (product images) from an old osC to a current one. I've done it for clients by manually editing a dump (.sql export, including the DB schema) of the old database to match the schema of the new one. Install Frozen, and overwrite the DB with the revised old one, and overwrite the image files (removing the sample store data). Some of the process can be done with .sql "update" scripts in various levels of new installs, but there is none for the final jump to Frozen, so it's just as easy to do it all manually.

Note that if you want password protection on the admin directory (which, BTW, should be renamed during installation), it's usually better to use your hosting control panel's "password protect a directory" (or the equivalent, such as "directory security") rather than trying to install osC-supplied files. They often don't work on many servers. The downside is that the osC security audit tool often won't recognize that you in fact have password protection, and falsely reports that you don't. If you have to supply an extra ID and password to be let into the admin area, it's working.

• 3 weeks later...

If you're still having trouble with logging in to admin account, follow these instructions:

to wipe out the old administrator(s) and allow you to enter a new one (and its password).

If you're still trying to run an old osC on a newer PHP, you may run into problems. Also, go over both your admin files with a fine-toothed comb to see if you have any changes to file paths, domain name, SSL usage, cookies, or anything else that you forgot to update when you moved over to the new server.

If you have .htaccess password protection on the admin directory, that's a different issue. You should remove any osC password protection files and use your host's "password protect a directory" function. Or did you already get past that point?

As for being unable to install "Frozen", that should probably go in a different thread, in the Community Edition area.

Archived