• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Voice search strategies

14steve14

Does anyone here know anything about Voice Search. With the increased popularity of voice search  assistants should anything be done on websites to help with this type of search SEO. There is not that much information on line that I can find quickly so thought  would see if any SEO experts have any links or ideas. I did find something that said Google would start to tailor searches towards voice assistants over mobile and laptops.

Whats others views on this and is it something that store owners should be worrying about.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

I think there is a lot more to it than just leave it as it is and it will work fine.

Over 50% of mobile searches are now done using voice. The questions asked are different to those that are typed because the way we talk is not the same as the way we type. Google is prioritising voice search, so we have to make sure our sites are up to scratch and ready now.

Even google has a good page on the subject. https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2017/03/14/google-voice-search

There is a good site here with excellent explanations https://backlinko.com/optimize-for-voice-search

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

:thumbsup:😊

That’s cool everyone will have his or her own take on things.

Go ask Google, I did hence the answer! Go use google tools to evaluate your current site they will tell you what needs improving. I bet you find you have more pressing concerns than worrying about google voice search.

From your own article!. https://www.wordstream.com/blog/ws/2017/03/14/google-voice-search

"The good news is that if you’re utilizing current SEO best practices, there’s very little you need to do differently. The bad news is that if you aren’t utilizing current SEO best practices, you’ve got tons of work to do. "

Sigh. Between being too lazy to type a query, and going back to hieroglyphics (the use of emojis), I fear we are in End Times. That said, hopefully there's not too much to do to make any site ready for voice interaction. Does that include filling forms, scrolling, clicking links, zooming, etc.? I don't approve of it, except for use by the physically handicapped or in special cases (e.g., a mechanic with greasy hands using the Web to look up information), but I suppose it's going to happen.

As you would expect there is a plethora of so called experts blogs all offering advice on this subject.

Having looked at Googles top 10 ( requested by voice “ok Google tell be what I need to do to get my website ready for voice search” 😂) and filtering the marketing bulls***t, out this is a summery of what they recommend, Most are “your 4 best ways to...” so I have listed from all.

So I ask what new in this list? To be honest after article 10, I lost the will to live! 😂

1. Optimize for page speed

2. Secure your website with SSL

3. Create an FAQ page for your website

4. Create Short form content

5. Create long form content

6. Use simple words and short sentences

7. Be active on Social Media

8. Use Schema Metadata

9. Update your Google My Business Listing

10. Optimize Your Website’s Structured Data Markup

• 1 month later...

The biggest thing that you can do to help voice search is look at what search criteria are actually being used on your site and optimize for them. For example, if you have a lot of searches for blew dresses or fresh meet, make sure that those searches find things listed as blue dresses and fresh meat respectively.

You should be doing this kind of thing anyway. But it would currently be focused on typos, like blu dresses or fresh met rather than homophones. Homophones are much more of a problem with voice search, as the voice parser may not always figure out what word is meant.

The basic idea is that you track what searches returned no results. Look at them and understand why they failed. For example, if you sell clothes and get a search for fresh meat, that's simple user error that you can ignore. But an empty search for blew or blu dresses when you do have blue dresses is something that should be fixed.

You can see this on Amazon and Google. They say something like "Showing results for blew dresses, but did you really mean blue dresses perhaps?" They link to the possible alternative and sometimes they show both results mixed together. When they mix them, they often link both alternatives.

Always back up before making changes.

• 6 months later...

Archived