• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Can't access site from wifi-fi since SSL expired

zefeena

Hi,  a little off-topic I guess, but I'm really struggling to get any sense from my host, so I was hoping someone could help.  

This morning my partners website appeared to go off-line, when in fact it was only that we were unable to access it (any of it, i.e website/admin/cpanel) over our wifi.  We were only able to access it over a 3/4G connection on our mobile phones.

Eventually after much tennis email with the host, it turns out the SSl cert expired and wouldn't auto-renew as I had made changes to the htaccess file.  I have now 'pressed' the auto renew button on the SSL over 6 hours ago, and I'm still unable to access anything over the wifi.  The host is being unhelpful saying the site is working fine.  Our mobile phone single is very poor, and the printers are on wi-fi, so its not possible to run our business from a mobile phone!

Does anyone have any clue how we might resolve this?  thank you

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Is the mobile phone connection "direct" to the host, and not going through the normal Internet routing? That's the only way I can think of that you could get past the lack of SSL. If not (you are using a web browser), maybe you tried it after SSL was restored.

If you can't get to it using your browsers, have you cleared your browser cache? Hitting F5 or Ctrl+F5 per page may also do the trick for you, if SSL has already been restored.

9 hours ago, zefeena said:

Does anyone have any clue how we might resolve this?  thank you

Who are you using for SSL? Sometimes you have to deleat the old cert and issue a new one using the auto renew function.

With letsencrypt many people make the mistake of self certing which will not auto renew, you have to remove the self cert and use the auto renew maethod to apply a new cert.

Not sure what you could have done in the .htcaccess file as it should have nothing to do with auto renew.

11 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

With letsencrypt many people make the mistake of self certing which will not auto renew, you have to remove the self cert and use the auto renew maethod to apply a new cert.

The host said this

'The SSL certificate, if it's taken from autossl, expires every 3 months. Normally, it gets automatically renewed, however, if there are redirections done on your website or other htaccess changes, letsencrypt ceritificate authority might reject it.
I'm assuming this is what happened today, as the certificate expired and renewal didn't work.

So I'm presuming I did in fact need to remove the old certificate first - which I didn't do.  where would I find the old certificate? 

They have asked me to do the following - no clue what any of this means!

Ping has started…

PING van-creations.co.uk (91.148.184.26): 56 data bytes
Request timeout for icmp_seq 0
Request timeout for icmp_seq 1
Request timeout for icmp_seq 2
Request timeout for icmp_seq 3
Request timeout for icmp_seq 4
Request timeout for icmp_seq 5
Request timeout for icmp_seq 6
Request timeout for icmp_seq 7
Request timeout for icmp_seq 8

--- van-creations.co.uk ping statistics ---
10 packets transmitted, 0 packets received, 100.0% packet loss

IP address 192.168.1.103.
Traceroute has started…

traceroute to van-creations.co.uk (91.148.184.26), 64 hops max, 72 byte packets
1 192.168.1.1 (192.168.1.1) 3.773 ms 3.843 ms 3.977 ms
2 185.44.251.41 (185.44.251.41) 16.146 ms 15.054 ms 15.975 ms
3 core-mre1.quickline.co.uk (185.44.250.129) 20.003 ms 15.638 ms 15.465 ms
4 core-mre2.quickline.co.uk (151.249.77.165) 20.064 ms 15.069 ms 15.931 ms
5 core-lth1.quickline.co.uk (151.249.77.188) 23.947 ms 22.875 ms 28.101 ms
6 202.88.80.arpa.orbital.net (80.88.202.244) 32.185 ms 25.531 ms 25.262 ms
7 linx-224.retn.net (195.66.224.193) 27.989 ms 23.050 ms 32.216 ms
8 ae0-1.rt.tlp.sof.bg.retn.net (87.245.232.126) 67.937 ms 71.175 ms 63.844 ms
9 gw-belcloud.retn.net (87.245.240.133) 76.074 ms 65.663 ms 65.371 ms
10 * * *
11 * * *
12 *

8 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Is the mobile phone connection "direct" to the host, and not going through the normal Internet routing?

I have to turn the wifi off the mobile, so it is connecting to my Vodafone 3g service, not through my home wifi, otherwise it won't connect to the site.  No devices will connect to the site if they are using the home wifi.  My Mac is actually plugged into an Access point which is connected tot he router via an ethernet cable.  The AP has been installed for a while now, and I've had the same internet provider since 2015!

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

28 minutes ago, zefeena said:

this is sorted now.  I suspect the host removed the old certificate after I informed them of the advice here.

Archived