• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

apple-touch-icon.png

Ken_Shea

When an apple user tries to save a page it looks for this icon and if not found greets the user with an error.

These show up in the "Required but not found URLs (HTTP code 404) logs"

My host uses AWSTATS and they show up in the error logs.

Greeting users with error pop ups is never good, so what I am trying to accomplish is to get rid of these errors, this is only one of many unfortunately.

@Ken_Shea

Ok, as best as I can figure out (it's above my pay grade too), you need to do two things ...

1) Find a copy of the apple-touch-icon.png file, and put it in the root directory of your shop (probably in /catalog, but it depends on your shop layout)

2) Add this to the <head> portion of your shop code:

<link rel="apple-touch-icon" href="apple-touch-icon.png">

(if you place the icon file in anything other than the shop root, you'd probably have to add the full path to the href link above)

The best way would be to make a header tag module. I would simply copy an existing header tag module, re-name it, change all references from the old name to the new name, and replace the old code in the module with the above code.

Clear as mud? B)

M

Looks like it.

I *think* that the purpose of the apple-touch-icon is for your customer to be able to add a 'shortcut' to your site to the screen of their apple device. In this case, you'd probably want the apple-touch-icon to be the same as your favicon, as you want your shop's icon to be the shortcut.

I was just looking at @JcMagpie's module. In it, he does use the same icon(s) for both the favicon and apple-touch-icon, just in different sizes. He just puts all of the icons into a different directory. So, just make sure that the href link in the code above points to whatever icon you want to use, including the correct path.

M

14 hours ago, ArtcoInc said:

He just puts all of the icons into a different directory.

Yes unfortunatly I do! I just hate having lots of image files bouncing around in root! Not a problem have updated the add-on so you can set the folder for your icon in admin! So if you like them in root go for it. :thumbsup:😊

Archived