• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Offsite Product linking?

peejaygee

I've looked around the configuration on the admin panel, and I'm unable to find any options to help me with my issue and google isn't my friends in this instance.

I'm selling items also on Amazon, I was wondering if it was possible to put the product picture in my osCommerce store, but then link it to Amazon? this way I can have all my products in one place, and only link away if the customer wants to purchase something that is only available on Amazon? I don't want to add prices to something, as it then goes into the cart, etc. 

Is this at all possible? I've added the Amazon url to the Products URL: (without http://) section, but I'm guessing that is not the place, or I'm doing something wrong.

Searching this forum for 'offsite linking' and similar words doesn't return anything that helped me.

Can it be done?

Regards

Paul.

The product URL is fine, if you put your amazon link into that and then display the link in the product_info page saying buy on amazon then customer can click on that link and go to your amazon page to buy it.

Product URL is not displayed in product info page in stock osC so you will need to add it.

This is for CE only but I'm sure you could make it work on other versions

I downloaded and installed the JcM but I guess I'm not looking in the right place to add the right stuff. I inserted the code, went to the modules, activated it (as it asked me the locate to place it etc) but then I see an orange circle with an exclamation point with "MODULE_CONTENT_BOOTSTRAP_ROW_DESCRIPTION"  in it, is that an error?

When you say "Product URL is not displayed in product info page in stock osC so you will need to add it." you basically mean I'd have to manually just put a URL within the body ofg the text?

My other worry is, that if I add a price, either the 'Amazon' price or even $0.00 someone will process through the order if they are ordering it through the osCommerce site and either try to order something from me for $0.00 or pay me the $value and then they'll not get it until I ended up ordering the Amazon item for them.

Is there a way to have a product visible, but stop the 'add to cart' and then they would have to click the Amazon link?

• 2 weeks later...

If this is not resolved try:

Open: includes/classes/currencies.php and find - 

function display_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity = 1) { return $this->format($this->calculate_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity)); } Replace with: function display_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity = 1) { if ($products_price > 0.01) { return $this->format($this->calculate_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity)); } else { return 'Buy on Amazon'; }

It should replace the $0 price with "Buy on Amazon". You will still need a link to the product on amazon.

Please use "code" tags (or click on <> and enter your code there) so that everything doesn't get run together:

Find

function display_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity = 1) {
  return $this->format($this->calculate_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity));
}

Replace with

function display_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity = 1) {
   if ($products_price > 0.01) {
      return $this->format($this->calculate_price($products_price, $products_tax, $quantity));
   } else {
      return 'Buy on Amazon';
   }
}

(you were missing a }, by the way). Even better than just returning a string "Buy on Amazon", make that a link, something like

return '<a href="https://amazon.com/......">' . $txt['buyOnAmazon'] . '</a>';

where you have defined a "Buy on Amazon" language string, in case you're handling more than just English.

Of course, keep in mind that the link to Amazon has to be manually maintained and kept updated if it changes or goes away. I think there are some add-ons for linking to Amazon that handle this stuff for you -- you might want to check them out and see if they do the job.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:47 AM, peejaygee said:

exclamation point with "MODULE_CONTENT_BOOTSTRAP_ROW_DESCRIPTION"  in it, is that an error?

No that means you are not using the CE bootstrap software!

On 11/19/2018 at 2:47 AM, peejaygee said:

add it." you basically mean I'd have to manually just put a URL within the body ofg the text?

No when you edit  procucts you will see this, The product URL is the field you can use to display your amazon link on the product info page! just edt the code to replace manufacturer with amazon and your sorted. However you first need to be using osC CE bootstrap or change the code to work with your version.

image.png.cd6a94462d982b99df660ce954864f94.png

Archived