• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Naming Convention

There seems to be some confusion over the Naming Convention chosen...so, as posted elsewhere, let's set the record straight;

I originally called it "BS" as a bit of a joke.  I still like that name as it stands for *cough*BS*cough* err BootStrap.

When it got quasi-official acceptance, that was changed to "CE" which stands for Community Edition.  
Under the umbrella of CE is (as of today) ONE release;

1. PHOENIX https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/master.zip ]
    Bootstrap v4. 

There are also two development Tags which were fixed points in the timeline to release of Phoenix;

1. GOLD https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/v2.3.4-GOLD.zip ]
    Bootstrap v3. 
  2. FROZEN https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/2341-Frozen.zip ]
    Bootstrap v3, with more modularity. 

Simple, isn't it ;) Well, I think so even if you don't.

35 minutes ago, burt said:

I originally called it "BS" as a bit of a joke. 
I still like that name as it stands for *cough*BS*cough* err BootStrap.

The Smothers Brothers used to irritate the CBS network by playing a clip of the President saying something and then *cough*Bolshoi!*cough*.

Now that the status of the Edge family has been clarified, I will update my signature to point to both Frozen and Edge.

On 11/1/2018 at 2:56 PM, MrPhil said:

Now that the status of the Edge family has been clarified, I will update my signature to point to both Frozen and Edge.

You might like to update your sig as;

• Gold is EOL
  • Frozen is Sunset
  • Edge is defunct and no longer exists
  • Phoenix is the default recommended download

I don't think I should bother adding a mention of Gold, as it is so old. I will add that Frozen is sunset.

Could you clarify what you've done with Edge vs. Phoenix? I was under the impression that Phoenix was a snapshot of Edge (as Frozen was), but this time with a series of patches to keep it updated, while Edge continues the development (but its use for production stores is discouraged, as it's too unstable). Or has Edge been renamed to Phoenix, or is it something else altogether? I'm just trying to visualize the family tree so I can understand what I'm giving links to. It doesn't help to sometimes call it Master and other times Phoenix.

If someone wants to consider Phoenix from my siggy, I would assume that they want a full install (/tree/a.b.c.d). I'm not going to update my sig every time you have a point release, so where should I point them to find the latest and greatest (assuming they don't know at this point what the current a.b.c.d is)? Is there a /latest-full that points to the appropriate place? The alternative is to point them to the latest full release on the osC Products page, but then they have a bunch of updates to find and install. Is there some central repository of Phoenix incremental update zip files, or are they just scattered around this forum? Either way, keep in mind that most people looking for an installable are not computer nerds and need a lot of hand holding. You need to make it easy for them. Come to think of it, if they download 1.0.0.0 from the Products page, will they even be aware that there are numerous patches?

One thing that occurs to me is that some people are going to see "osCommerce Online Merchant 1.0.0.3" (or whatever the name is), see there's an "osCommerce Online Merchant 2.3.4.1" on the Products page, and say, "Man, this one is way obsolete! I'm going with the latest and greatest, 2.3.4.1! Obviously it's much better..." Are the names distinct enough to avoid this understandable confusion?

In one of your announcements, you state that the shop (public) side is now BSv4, but I thought I saw you state at one point that you were close to done with a responsive (BSv4) admin side, too. Did that go away at some point?

Should the vast majority of potential users be at PHP 7.0+ by now, so you can afford to state that 7.0 is the minimum? I'm wondering how many PHP 5.6 (and even earlier) servers are still out there, that Phoenix may still run fine on. Is it worth having someone at PHP 5.6 pass up Phoenix because they think it won't run on their server?

I know you are asking questions that you want the answer to, but a lot of this is FUD.

See https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce 

-----

5 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Is it worth having someone at PHP 5.6 pass up Phoenix because they think it won't run on their server?

Come on, you are one of the ones continually telling people that 5.6 has been EOL for years and to upgrade.  

some people are going to see "osCommerce Online Merchant 1.0.0.3"

Where?  Your post, yes.  Where else?

I saw you state at one point that you were close to done with a responsive (BSv4) admin side, too. Did that go away at some point?

It never went away as it was never there in the first place.  I do not believe now (and never have believed) a BS admin is functionally needed, the only reason for doing it would be to make it look uniform across admin and shop.

I'm just trying to visualize the family tree so I can understand what I'm giving links to

If you have to link somewhere, link to

That's the one thread which explains all, and has the update ZIPs for those who want to load them (the zips that are "scattered" around this forum) as you put it. 

10 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Is there some central repository of Phoenix incremental update zip files, or are they just scattered around this forum? Either way, keep in mind that most people looking for an installable are not computer nerds and need a lot of hand holding. You need to make it easy for them. Come to think of it, if they download 1.0.0.0 from the Products page, will they even be aware that there are numerous patches?

Yes, at Github.

1.0.0.0 to 1.0.0.2: https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/compare/v1.0.0.0...1.0.0.2
1.0.0.2 to 1.0.0.3: https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/compare/1.0.0.2...1.0.0.3

You need to make it easy for them. Come to think of it, if they download 1.0.0.0 from the Products page, will they even be aware that there are numerous patches?

They will be made aware as CE releases use the same update mechanism from v2.3. This means the update procedure is manual for v2.3 based CE releases (the architecture does not support online updates). Automatic updates will first arrive with v3 and v3 based CE releases.

Community Edition maintainers have the ability to push out a release to the website without my intervention. In fact, the website automatically checks Github once every hour to see if a new release has been pushed out at Github and automatically updates the download page and posts a news announcement if one was posted at Github.

One thing that occurs to me is that some people are going to see "osCommerce Online Merchant 1.0.0.3" (or whatever the name is), see there's an "osCommerce Online Merchant 2.3.4.1" on the Products page, and say, "Man, this one is way obsolete! I'm going with the latest and greatest, 2.3.4.1! Obviously it's much better..." Are the names distinct enough to avoid this understandable confusion?

This will be addressed when Community Editions are officially announced.

11 hours ago, MrPhil said:

Is it worth having someone at PHP 5.6 pass up Phoenix because they think it won't run on their server?

If they want to stay on PHP 5.6 they can with their current installation. If it runs perfectly today, it will run perfectly tomorrow, and there are active developers in the forum that can help when problems arise. If they want to move to another release or platform, they can't stay on PHP 5.6.

There is a lot of excitement when releases are pushed out, however your current installation is not going to burn if you don't upgrade immediately.

:heart:, osCommerce

@HPDL,

Automatic updates will first arrive with v3 and v3 based CE releases

Just a question. The 2.4 is stopped or it will be finished ?

Regards
-----------------------------------------
Loïc

Contact me by skype for business
Contact me @gyakutsuki for an answer on the forum

1 hour ago, Gyakutsuki said:

@HPDL,

Automatic updates will first arrive with v3 and v3 based CE releases

Just a question. The 2.4 is stopped or it will be finished ?

Every v2.x release is being sunsetted, including v2.4. Someone is welcome to continue development through the Community Edition program. My focus is 100% on v3.

All Community Edition releases will have their own support area in the forum and their own version in the Marketplace. Linking to the releases on our downloads page is just the start - it is planned to have dedicated pages for each release so their features can be showcased.

:heart:, osCommerce

On 7/12/2019 at 9:39 PM, Harald Ponce de Leon said:

Every v2.x release is being sunsetted, including v2.4. Someone is welcome to continue development through the Community Edition program. My focus is 100% on v3.

All Community Edition releases will have their own support area in the forum and their own version in the Marketplace. Linking to the releases on our downloads page is just the start - it is planned to have dedicated pages for each release so their features can be showcased.

@Harald Ponce de Leon Please keep the demo product set of the 2-series in V3 - those are classic.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:59 AM, burt said:

It never went away as it was never there in the first place.  I do not believe now (and never have believed) a BS admin is functionally needed, the only reason for doing it would be to make it look uniform across admin and shop.

I think you focus too much on shop side (end customer) and consider the admin side (working staff) as very secondary stuff.

It's not just cosmetics - having a responsive admin is a must for me and - I assume- for everyone that uses their mobile devices to control their stores when they are out of the office or at the warehouse, that can impreve drastically productivity and that's money on the pocket for the business.  Managing the old 2.3 admin on a cellphone is almost impossible with all of those side menus and huge tables, and I'm sure you're aware how many people uses mobile devices for work.

Also, all those improvements in shop side like geting rid of that jquery UI and gif buttons stuff, header and footer scripts, modules, bootstrap modals or fontawesome would make life easier when installing a complex addon and reduce redundant clicks everywhere.

2.4 responsive admin was promising - shame it will not be adapted for community edition.

2 minutes ago, piernas said:

I think you focus too much on shop side (end customer) and consider the admin side (working staff) as very secondary stuff.

I focus too much on trying to keep oscommerce relevant instead of concentrating on work that actually puts bread on the table.  Something has to give and that means I do what I can when I can, until and unless people start making more time possible.

@burt that's understandable  but that's not the same as saying it's not being functionally needed. It's just a question of priorities and I simply think you're wrong with that premise.

Maybe you should delegate some tasks like that one to the community instead of doing everything yourself (or talk to others that have been working on it and add their work tp the community edition). For example, here is an attempt of making a responsive admin that looks nice and could be used as a base: https://apps.oscommerce.com/LCrov&bootstrap-v4-oscommerce-admin-ce

On 7/15/2019 at 8:09 AM, piernas said:

here is an attempt of making a responsive admin that looks nice and could be used as a base: https://apps.oscommerce.com/LCrov&bootstrap-v4-oscommerce-admin-ce

Juanma I haven't looked at any of the admin updates other then looking at the screen shots that were posted but I know you've probably been following those threads. Do you know if any of them have taken a modular approach with their builds similar to what is used and evolving on the shop side of things? 

Dan

4 hours ago, Dan Cole said:

Juanma I haven't looked at any of the admin updates other then looking at the screen shots that were posted but I know you've probably been following those threads. Do you know if any of them have taken a modular approach with their builds similar to what is used and evolving on the shop side of things? 

Dan

I didn't inspect that one in detail - just installed it to have a quick look and only saw the visual appearance. There were at least a couple more attemps here in the forums by other members who added some of the features long time ago but nothing finished I think.

I'll install again and see shat0s really done on it.

Archived