• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Just installed - URL won't go to index?

kelseydeanna

I just installed oscommerce and, full disclosure, I know next to nothing about this sort of thing. I just really need an easy-to-use online store!

The installation went fine, but when I go to the URL (mywebsite.com/shoponline) it redirects to mywebsite.com/shoponline/web, which doesn't exist. I have to type in index.php in place of web to get to it. Why is it doing this and how can I change it?

So you installed into /shoponline directory, and if you just given that path, it redirects to /shoponline/web? I can't think of anything in osCommerce that would do that. Most likely you or your host left something in your .htaccess file. Do you have something like Wordpress also installed? It could be doing something like that (many applications do). This is why you should never install a major application into the site root, as it will create much extra work when you install another application and the two get tangled up in each other. If you do have another application's .htaccess redirecting root traffic, it should be possible to separate them if you don't want to break an existing other application's bookmarks, etc. If you are also just starting out with Wordpress or something else, move it to its own directory (e.g., /blog) and write a "landing page" to direct visitors to the desired application.

By the way, since you're just starting out, did you install the right version? The official release 2.3.4.1 downloadable from this site is years out of date. You should be installing the community-supported 2.3.4.1BS Edge (a.k.a. CE, Frozen) version available on GitHub (see my link below). It is Responsive (mobile friendly), PHP 7.1 ready, and has a lot of bug fixes and new features.

• 2 weeks later...

192.168.1.1? That sounds like you're self-hosting on a PC with a *AMPP stack. That's a very bad idea -- hackers know far more about site security issues than you ever will, and they'll eat you alive. Unless you're an absolute expert on site security, spend a few bucks a month to host with a pro.

Archived