• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

edge, customers not able to create an account

On 11/11/2018 at 9:30 AM, RAC said:

I have been searching osc for steps in updating to a newer version, but 
there seems to be different opinions on how to do it!

Do you know of a post that shows the correct steps?

Or would it be easier to start from scratch and install CE in a 
different folder, (in public_html alongside my current shop files), 
install all of my addons, import my current database, then????? Change 
configure.php???, (only guessing). Or is this too simplistic, 
(and I am living in a dream world)?

Shaun

If you havent altered any of the core files, then it should be just a case of uploading the new files to your hosts. You may have to turn off all the core modules first, then turn them back on again once you are ready, and you may have to check the databases are the same. That is about it in reality, but its not always that easy.

The other alternative is to install a new set of files on your server, use it as a test development site and when ready copy the files across to your actual site. If you only install addons that have no core d=code changes things are made really easy.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/11/2018 at 10:42 AM, BrockleyJohn said:

hate to tell you this Shaun but I believe php7 compliance went into edge in May 2017 so I think it's even older than that

Hello John

I must have mixed up my versions somehow and used my original Edge 
download!!!! 😕
I have been tinkering with osC for close to two years, I have learnt a 
great deal. Luckily my website is only a hobby, although your point 
about getting a developer to help is sensible, I would not want to 
give up now.

On-On

Shaun

Hello Steve
I have a lot to think about, update or start again.
I have been thinking about starting a fresh install alongside my 
current files, to see how it goes, but then how do I view the new 
test site? Is it a case of adding another rewrite to my .htaccess? 
or is there an alternative? 
Shaun

3 hours ago, RAC said:

Hello Steve

I have a lot to think about, update or start again.

I have been thinking about starting a fresh install alongside my 
current files, to see how it goes, but then how do I view the new 
test site? Is it a case of adding another rewrite to my .htaccess? 
or is there an alternative? 

Shaun

Just grab a copy of oscommerce of what ever version you are planning to use, and follow the install procedure as you normally would but install into a folder or sub domain. As its all installed on to your hosting account in a folder, you just navigate to that folder, the same way as you would navigate to any site that is not in your root folder. The only difference being is that you must password protect the whole folder to stop others and the search engines finding it. You will also need a separate database so your hosting should allow you to have more than one database.

I have a copy of my current site and a test site with the latest version. The copy site gets any changes done to it first to make sure that they work which keeps the main site operational and clean, and the latest version test site is literally just a play ground and future development site that one day could be used as the main site.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

On 10/29/2018 at 8:03 AM, JcMagpie said:
On 10/29/2018 at 5:59 AM, RAC said:

OK so how do I check the breadcrumb? Obviously there is an error there somewhere for the / to be above the text. 

I would just replace the 3 files related to this unless you have made changes or have add-ons that make changes to this! its just a header module so go to includes/modules/header and header/template and the same in languages.

Hello again Zahid

I have compared the three breadcrumb files and they are all identical!

However in my includes/languages/english/Create_account.php, I seem to have a problem.

define('NAVBAR_TITLE', '<p>Create an Account</p>
');

This <p> is repeated throughout the file which does not match the original file.

After further checking the above create_account.php was double the size, all of the define ('Email***) entries were repeated with random code between the text.

I have now uploaded a copy of the original file and all seems fine, including the misplaced '/'.

Now the next job is sort the email out.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Zahid @JcMagpie

After some robust conversations with my host, my emails now seem to be working.

This has caused great stress over the last few weeks and my head nearly exploded!!

Going back to the error-log.txt, I am still getting “Hello errors!” (in great numbers), today

I have even /* */ all of the text added to application_top.php, with no avail.

What cache do I need to clear, and exactly how do I clear it? I have cleared the

browser cache several times.

Also I am still unaware why there is no log off button, there is a shop/logoff.php

file, so is it just a configuration problem?

Should there be a button by default? Or do I need to install one? If so can you point

me in the right direction.

Thanks Shaun

I think core code only offers you the logoff option when you're logged in - whether in the navbar account menu or the header buttons. Not so sure about the footer menus as I've barely used them.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

6 minutes ago, BrockleyJohn said:

I think core code only offers you the logoff option when you're logged in - whether in the navbar account menu or the header buttons. Not so sure about the footer menus as I've barely used them.

Thank you John

You are correct the logoff button shows in the header after you have logged in.🙄

Thanks again Shaun

21 minutes ago, RAC said:

Going back to the error-log.txt, I am still getting “Hello errors!” (in great numbers), today

I have even /* */ all of the text added to application_top.php, with no avail.

I would suspect that the code is still sitting in some file, do a search for the word and see what turns up. Also you say you commented out the code? I would go back and check that as I have seen many times people think it’s commented out but in fact is still active, best to just remove it.

The cache will be on your server check to see what cache director's you have set up and clear them.

Hello Zahid

I have checked the folder found in Admin/configuration, there are mainly stats there and files that were added before I added the "hello" code.  

I am still getting 1000 "hello" entries a day, now I have deleted the code from application_top.php, but they are still coming😖

Shaun

• 2 months later...

Hello chaps. @JcMagpie, @BrockleyJohn

I am still having problems with some customers not being able to create accounts, these are three emails from the latest.

1 Hi

The link to reset my password is not working i av registed on your site 2 times even

though it says i am registered when i try to log in it wont let me ?  Is there any

other way i can putchase a item which is the wolf miners lamp advertized on your

websitecan you helpthank youanthony

2 Hi
 Iam.having problems accessing my account
i have tried countless times to log in but it keeps saying no imfo
i reaquested to change my password
but the link you sent me dosent work ?
I am trying to buy a miners lamp on your site but even though i eventual registered
with your site and tried to pay for the miners lamp it just wouldent let me
is there any other way i can purchase the miners lamp ? Dispite numerouse attempts
to log in your susteam wont let me
thank you

3 Hi

The problem i had was when i tried to log in on your site it kept saying incorrect password i even registered with another email address but again it said password was incorrect i tried to log in on my home pc and my mobile but it just wouldent let me log in to my account

I have also had emails from PayPal it seems I am not able to receive HTML emails, when I receive these emails I am faced with php and ccs markup, with the message being imbedded within this text.

1 /* PP Sans Font Import */
@font-face {
    font-family: 'pp-sans-big-light';
    font-weight: 100;
    font-style: normal;
    src:
url("https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/mktg/2014design/font/PP-Sans/PayPalSansBig-Light.woff")
format("woff"),
url("https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/mktg/2014design/font/headlinedark/festivo1.ttf")
format("truetype"),
url("https://www.paypalobjects.com/webstatic/mktg/2014design/font/PP-Sans/PayPalSansBig-Light.svg")
format("svg")
}
/* PP Sans Class */
.ppsans {
    font-family: 'pp-sans-big-light', 'Noto Sans', Calibri, Trebuchet, Arial, sans
serif !important;
}
.ppsansbold {
    font-family: 'pp-sans-big-bold', 'Noto Sans', Calibri, Trebuchet, Arial, sans
serif !important;
}

And

2 Hi Shaun

We have tried to send you this email as HTML (pictures and words) but it wasn’t
possible.
In order for you to see what we had hoped to show you please click here to view
online in your browser:

Whilst checking through the Admin settings, in tools/security checks I found the following, how do I remove this, is it through .htaccess ?

admin/backups/ Directory Listing

admin_backup_directory_listing

The /Shop/****/backups/ directory is publicly accessible and/or browsable - please disable directory listing for this directory in your web server configuration.

Not sure if these problems are related.

Regards Shaun

10 minutes ago, RAC said:

admin/backups/ Directory Listing

admin_backup_directory_listing

The /Shop/****/backups/ directory is publicly accessible and/or browsable - please disable directory listing for this directory in your web server configuration.

You should not be getting this if you have applied .htaccess protection to your admin! It's in the admin /config/ Administrators

I suspect the login issues are either redirect or session issues hard to say without tracing a login! pm me a link and I will try and see whats happening.

Password reset worked fine for me. It is possible that you have a higher-than-average proportion of customers that aren't very tech-savvy and are using old hardware / software to access the site and emails.

The password link spreads over 2 lines and if it's getting split it won't work. If they read emails in plain text it won't help.

If they are using old browsers some of the site might not work properly either.

A tangential resolution would be to implement PWA (purchase without account)

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

4 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

or you could just do a little mod and use paypal express as it has guest checkout option built in, I did a little thread some time ago on this, will be in forum somewhere.

image.png.b42184032832a280336bfc6dd8f884be.png

That's not real Guest checkout. A customer account will be created from the PayPal Account data and left in the store. It's not available for other payment methods.

PWA Guest Checkout contribution:

Purchase without account BS

@RAC is this a new store or a migration from an earlier version of osc? The password algorithm changed many moons ago and field lengths might have too...

35 minutes ago, raiwa said:

A customer account will be created from the PayPal Account data and left in the store

That is intresting! did not know this nor have I ever found such accounts, I was told by PayPal that Guest check out is independent of osC it happens all of site, and customer is given option as to save data or not. I will ask again just to check.

https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/account-optional

Well that was intresting just did a db search and did not know how populer PayPal express Guest checkout was! found about 35% of all customers using it. How well yes @raiwa

is correct some data is stored in the db as shipping and billling address is needed to ship products, but these accounts have no password set. Also these customers are using this checkout over and over again without any issues. So I think i'm very happy with this as a solution. If the customers are using it and they are , they must be happy with it.

So yes may not be to solution for everyone but I'm happy with results. 😊

If it's only ever been osc BS then the password handling hasn't changed

Hi John

Yes it could be old hardware/software.

I have PayPal express installed so in future I will ask any customers having problems to use PayPal checkout .

However will also install PWA.

Archived