• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

which version to download

@PDupont

I'm sorry to have to tell you that the 'official' v2.3.4 (and v2.3.4.1 hot-patch) is very much out of date! the osCommerce project was lead by one person that has been absent for quite some time. In his absence, the "community" has continued with the development of osC. Unfortunately, that one missing person is the only one that can make this continued development an 'official' release.

The 'Community Edition' (also called osC-CE (for Community Edition), osC-BS (for Bootstrap, the platform it is based on), osC-Edge, osC-Final, and/or osC-Frozen. These are all different names for the same thing) is a big improvement over the last 'official' v2.3.4 release in a number of ways:

1) It is responsive. This means that it will adjust the screen layout depending on the size of the screen of your customer's device. This is very important in this day of mobile devices. The 'official' version is not responsive.

2) It will work with the newer version of PHP, the scripting language used in osC. As more and more hosts upgrade their servers to PHP 7.x, older versions of osC (including the 'official' version) will crash.

3) It is much more modular. This means that you can turn features on or off, change the layout, or even add new features, all without touching the core code.

You can find a link to the latest version of the Community Edition in my signature below.

Malcolm

PS: there have been reports that even the Community Edition still has some warnings with PHP 7.2, but not with 7.1

@ArtcoInc Thank you for your answer If I understand well, you tell me : 1 - The owner of this community has decided to stop the development about the official release ? 2 - The community has decided to make a fork ? My question is : The fork is again maintained or not (evolution, security fix, roadmap) ? I ask you  this question because you tell me than the system does'n work on PHP 7.2. The fork is again development or is stopped also (you talk frozen edition) ? I saw in  another section on this forum a 2.4, I also suppose this solution is also out ? If the owner decide to continue,  it could be a problem between with the community edition and the official release. In this case what happen ? I ask you theses questions, because my knowledge is not very important in coding (but I am pragmatic) and I am looking an e-commerce solution than I can use for long time and it can be updated in function the technology evolution.  My goal is to make a shopping cart and business. I was happy, but not sure now.  

@PDupont

11 hours ago, PDupont said:

1 - The owner of this community has decided to stop the development about the official release ?

Not necessarily true. We do not know what is happening in his personal (or professional) life. He does show up every so often and makes statements on where the project is going. Unfortunately, he may then disappear again for a while.

2 - The community has decided to make a fork ?

Yes, and no. The community was working with the blessing of the leader. At one time, we were told that the Community Edition (or something that was based on it) would become the next 'official' release. Unfortunately, we're still waiting.

The fork is again maintained or not (evolution, security fix, roadmap) ? I ask you  this question because you tell me than the system does'n work on PHP 7.2. The fork is again development or is stopped also (you talk frozen edition) ?

'Frozen' was released because shop owners didn't want to have to update their shops every time something was changed. They wanted a stable, 'frozen' release on which to build their shops. Now, all software has bugs, and updates are needed. I do know that development is still happening. How, where, or when it will be released, I can not say.

I saw in  another section on this forum a 2.4, I also suppose this solution is also out ?

Some years ago, the leader announced a path forward, which included the versions 2.4 and 3.0. Both of these are available in Alpha versions. Neither are fully functional carts. And, as far as we know, the leader has not done any more development on either.

There are community members that are doing personal development on both 2.4 and 3.0. But, these are private forks, and do not have any recognition from the leader.

If the owner decide to continue,  it could be a problem between with the community edition and the official release. In this case what happen ?

As I mentioned earlier, the Community Edition was developed with the acknowledgement and support of the leader. That said, we do not know what he currently has in mind for moving forward.

Please realize that no software is perfect, and that one must update things from time to time. A shopping cart made 10 years ago is (by today's standards) ancient, and not only has security risks, but probably won't continue to run on today's servers (ex: PHP issue).

The Community Edition is a stable cart. It is being used on a number of live sites (mine included). It runs fine on PHP 7.1. While PHP 7.2 is more strict, and it does throw up a couple of warnings (nothing fatal), I fully expect that the community will continue to develop the code, and provide the fixes necessary for PHP 7.2. A quick browse around the forum has lots of posts with examples of these fixes.

HTH

Malcolm

As Malcolm has said, osCommerce has a no-show leader who hasn't done much for a while now, but, there is an enthusiastic community who is maintaining a semi-official fork (Edge/CE/Frozen). Depending on what happens on other fronts (which can't be discussed here), there may be a follow-on here to Frozen which continues its development, or it may show up elsewhere. This is Open Source software, so anyone is free to grab a copy and develop it further (fork it) under a new name. Indeed, many well-known shopping carts out there are based on osCommerce! I know that there are forks and projects using 2.3.4.1, 2.4, and 3.0; so the code will live on in some manner. What will happen for an official osC release -- who knows.

The bottom line is that you can go ahead and use "Frozen" without fear of heading down a dead-end street. There should be a follow-on, or at least, something you an migrate to, somewhere at some time, even if it's not official osCommerce. Frozen is not dead -- there will be something along somewhere that will take it further. It just may not be under the name "osCommerce".

Ok thank you for your answer.
But I have lot of confusion

@Artcolnc 
Yes, and no .......Unfortunately, we're still waiting.

The BS come the next official is just pure speculation (Unfortunately, we're still waiting.), that's understand because nobody know when there is another official release. 
If the leader of this community want to not integrate all the development. What's happen ? There is another community edition will appear ?
For me it's a problem inside my decision to use and take time to learn.
My conclusion, after read your answer and a litlle the forum the BS /... / frozen ... is a pure fork than the community has decided to use, to continue without to know if this solution will become really official. Tell me , if I have wrong.
I follow the  link in signature. That I see, the solution on another github repository and not official repository. Also I saw the developper of the repository is not developper of the officiel repository. Yes / No ?
What the plan about the roadmap on the community edition. Like I said, I am on php 7.2, It seems not compatible.
There is a development about the new php version, security problem, obsolete code .... or I must to code myself, ask question, find solution ? I have no knowledge in PHP and time is monney.
This solution is jsut only for the geek ?

@MrPhil said : ... the other fork based on new evolution of osc. Why it's not included inside the community ? There is a problem ?

@Noxan : where is the link about you osc what you do inside. It's pure version or modified (My version 2.3.1 and so good) .

All of that, It's weird. no ?

TK

Please read the advice already given. Its all good. Stop worrying about what may or may not happen in the future. If you choose to use OSC in any form, that is up to you, but do expect there to be an official update any time soon. There hasn't been one in the last few years, so it wont happen soon. If you want to use osc use the BS version that is now at Frozen. Its PHP7 ready, and hopefully someone on these forums will update things as they change. Its the best you will get. Whether it will be developed further by anyone is up to them. You, me and everyone else will just have to wait and see what happens as no one knows yet.

If you dont like what is happening here, find an alternative. There are plenty to choose from.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived