• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

New install - acting odd!

zefeena

Hi,

I installed the latest available install on a completely new domain etc.  It took me several attempts as firstly I haven't done this for a while, and secondly I am generally useless at these things! 

Eventually I managed to get a successful install, in the right place, which I was able to access.

I found problems adding items to the catalogue, I'd type in the details, then when I went to do another product the first one would disappear and then reappear a day later! I also constantly got the message the site wasn't secure, and other weird stuff.  I thought it was cos I was using a Mac, so I went out and bought a windows lap top, and still the same problems.

I really don't want to do yet another install, as my internet is appalling and it takes literally hours, and invariably fails.  Does it sound like it is merely a database issue and if so would creating a new database be the solution? if so, how would I do this so that it links correctly with the program?

If you think I'm wasting my time and need to do a new install (about the 6th one!), then I guess thats what I'll do.

thanks kellie

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

Well looking at the history ( 6 attempts) I think its safe to say you have probably done something wrong.

CE is very simple and straight forward to install, If done right it will just works!

From what you describe i.e. items disappearing and reappearing well its just not possible for something to disappear from the data base and then reinstall itself on a good db! On a corrupted db anything is possible! Your may also be having cache and refresh issues which can also make it look as you describe.

It may be time for you to consider getting help? Ask in the commercial section it could save you a lot of time, A normal install can be done in about 5-10 minutes.

If you do want to try your self again I would recommend installing just the stock CE and nothing else, get that working before you add any add-on’s.

Keep everything as default and only when its stable try any mod’s you need.

I would also recommend deleting the CE zip file you have and downloading a fresh copy, only do this after running a full virus scan on the laptop you are going to use to ftp to the server.

It’s imposable to sure whats going on without looking at the site.

It is irrelevant what kind of computer you're running a browser on -- Mac, PC, or something else. All the action is taking place on the server that your site is installed on. If you're entering data (i.e., a product) and it disappears for a while, it may be that whoever is hosting your site is having database problems. I assume that you're on a commercial hosting service and not trying to do this on your own Mac or PC -- that's penny-wise and pound-foolish, as hackers will tear you apart (they know far more about site security than you ever will).

"Site not secure" sounds like you're still trying to run on http (non-SSL). That's a message that browsers give when you access your site with http instead of https. Any decent host today offers SSL (https) for free, so consider changing hosts if they don't.

Thank you.  I did change a few things from the SSL point of view, but I think that my real problem is that getting using the FTP to get the files from my computer to host is causing issues as my internet is so unstable that it just keeps failing.  I think I am probably going to have to get someone else to do the install as its just not a good enough connection to make it happen

Running a botched up version of  osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4 bootstrap with the dresscode theme installed, numerous add-ons, terrible coding, terrible website, but will have to make do until I have made up for my losses and can risk shutting down for a couple of weeks while I start all over again. - I did not install my program but am endeavouring to fix it with your help.

It appeared after much messing about that I hadn't actually installed incorrectly, but that the strange goings on were a server issue!

While it may not help anyone else I thought I'd post what my host suggested (which worked), so that should anyone else have similar issues they may at least consider that it is a host issue rather than an oscommerce program issue.  Thank you for all the help - I'm still learning!

Please add the following to your .htaccess:
<IfModule LiteSpeed>
CacheDisable public /
CacheDisable private /
</IfModule>

4 hours ago, zefeena said:

<IfModule LiteSpeed>

No I would not recommend adding that to your  .htaccess file as standerd for others, Should be no need for it. From what I remember LiteSpeed cache extention/plugin used for WordPress and some other software and I think Magento also makes use of it. Should have nothing to do with osC? Unless ofcourse your host is using LiteSpeed Web Server and not apache. But hey maybe I'm out of touch! 😊

Hi,  I didn't mean for other people to add the code.  I was thinking I'd been doing everything wrong, when in fact it was a host issue.  I only pasted the code as I've had a lot of help on here and I just wanted those that had contributed to know how it had been sorted, only for information.  I've no idea what my host is using!! lol 

Archived