• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Problems with some of admin dashboard functions

craigo

My site was created back in 2008/9 using Dreamweaver and the version of OS Commerce used has not been updated since then.

I am hosted by a large hosting company and my database is on Mysql8.

My php version is 5.2 or 5.5 (not usre).

The site itself is running (but has been slow for over a year now).

Recently, when in the admin dashboard, I have not been able to acces the 'products' listings to edit them or to be able to access the 'users' listings. I get a 500 message that says that my website is unable to handle the request.

The other dashboard functions (categories, options, orders, shopfront, logout etc) are fine.

The website itslef is operating okay and the individual item images and info etc are pulled from the database okay.....but if a user tries to make a purchase, they can get the item to the 'basket' but the 'checkout' then returns a 500 message that says that my website is unable to handle the request. I have tried with dummy user accounts and this happens in all instances of going to the checkout.

I can access my mysql8 database through my control panel on my hosters system and it seems fine.

I was wondering if the products and user .php file and the .php.swp file in my 'admin' folder inside my 'web/ecomapp/app' folder might be corrupted. I do have a backup of those files from about 2014 that I could upload.

Not sure if this will help though?

If your osC was installed in 2008, it's probably a very ancient version 2.2 MS2, or at best, 2.2 RC2a. That will not work on current servers -- you need to upgrade. It might mostly work on PHP 5.2, but is almost surely going to break on 5.5, and 5.6 is the oldest that any decent host supports (it goes out of service at the end of the year). PHP 7.1 or even 7.2 is current. I don't know what "Mysql8" is -- MySQL is currently something around 5.7 or so, I think. Dreamweaver has nothing to do with osC, and should never be used to edit files.

Upgrading would involve installing the current osC version: 2.3.4.1BS Edge (see the link in my signature below; it's not the official release downloaded on this site). Your PHP should be at least 5.6, preferably 7.1, so you're not starting out behind the Eight Ball with an obsolete PHP. All your data can be migrated over, including the database, but that will involve some manual work to upgrade the database layout to the current version (there are SQL scripts to assist in this, or it can be done manually by comparing the old and new schema and using phpMyAdmin to modify the old version.

If you can, install a test version of the new osC and your migrated data (a copy of your current database), although since your current site is not working, no harm is done by taking down your current site and replacing it. Just make a good backup (and know how to restore it) of the database and files, as you may easily make a mistake and need to start over. If your current site has been modified with custom code and installed add-ons, you'll have to figure out what updated add-ons you need to install, and how to replicate your customizations.

Thank you for the illuminating information Phil.

The site was working fine up until about a month or so ago.

I contacted the hoster and they confirmed that no upgrade to php or mysql had happened at their end for the last few months. So it looks like something else has 'clanked' my site.

I cannot be sure but it may have happened when I was adding some new prints (products) to the database/site...... or it could have been someone maliciously probing around into the site...I will never know (I checked for any 'new' dating of any of the website files but there are none that match the problem time).

The necessary upgrading and the methodology to do it, is way beyond my pay grade, I only own the site and the company!

I am  pretty savvy with IT but when it comes to fiddling about on the innards of the website I know my limitations.

The designers, who bulit the site way back in 2008, did do a bit of customisation of the functions of the OS Commerce, so that the whole shooting match would fit to the design brief functions (it is an art retail gallery) so I expect that I would lose a few or all of the 'special' customisations.

It looks like OS Commerece and I will have to part our ways and I will have to find out about a complete rebuild......😢

If your host has made no changes (a statement I always regard with suspicion), it's possible that someone hacked your site. Most often, a host makes a minor change somewhere that they regard as so small that it's not worth mentioning (even to their own support), but can still brick your site.

Transferring your site and data to another cart will be at least as much work as upgrading to the current osC, so don't toss osC yet. If it's beyond your capabilities, there is a section of this forum where you can advertise for commercial services such as migrating/upgrading your site. That by itself should be fairly inexpensive (just a migration, with no add-ons or custom code). At least, you'll then have a working site. As for your site customizations, someone may be willing to give a cost estimate for that.

By the way, the current (2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen) version is responsive (mobile friendly), runs on up to PHP 7.1 (maybe 7.2 now), fixes lots of bugs, and has many new features. It's worth a look.

Archived