René H4

Fake accounts

22 minutes ago, kingshazz13 said:

Is Honey Pot addon effective against fake accounts?

Yes, it is very good at stopping them. It checks a number of things that are common in fake accounts. As long as the account fails one of those tests, the account will not be created. It also has a list of known bad IP's, supplied by an external site, that it checks. 

1 hour ago, kingshazz13 said:

Is Honey Pot addon effective against fake accounts? 

It worked for me, so yes!

osC CE live - developing osC Phoenix adding modules with no core changes(awesome and easy!)

On 1/26/2021 at 2:53 AM, Jack_mcs said:

Or just install Honey Pot and stop them automatically. :)

On 1/26/2021 at 12:05 AM, Managing Director said:

The previous post was be-on-the-lookout information after over two hundred fake new accounts using blacklisted IP  addresses, were added to one customer's web site in a very short period of time. Adding a "customers_ip_address" field to the 'Customers" table and modifying "create_account.php" to save it helps us weed them out.

@Jack_mcs 

Please can you share hwo to modify the create_account.php file to submit IP address to the added customers_ip_address" field? This makes things a lot easier. I've added captcha (Google and Match Captcha) but still get fake accounts. So an escalation to deleting as well as blocking IP address will certainly help. Thanks

3 hours ago, KenSO said:

Please can you share hwo to modify the create_account.php file to submit IP address to the added customers_ip_address" field?

That's outside of the scope of this support thread. You can post the question in the general forum and someone may help. But it probably isn't needed if you install Honey Pot. I've not heard of anyone having such a problem after it was installed.

24 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

That's outside of the scope of this support thread. You can post the question in the general forum and someone may help. But it probably isn't needed if you install Honey Pot. I've not heard of anyone having such a problem after it was installed.

Thanks for reply but I still get loads of fake accounts after honey pot, sorry but that's the truth. Way forwayd for me is to have IP address inserted in database so I can ban IP after looking at account. I have to find what works for me.

7 hours ago, KenSO said:

I still get loads of fake accounts after honey pot

It is most likely the settings are not correct. Please post your Honey Pot settings and the details of one of the fake accounts here and I will take a look.