• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Is it worth donating and becomming an ambassador

14steve14

After all the years that I have been using oscommerce I am thinking of donating and becoming an Ambassador, just as  away to say thanks,  but is there really any point. To all intents and purposes the project has stalled somewhat. The leader in MIA, so where will my money go to.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

2 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

The leader in MIA, so where will my money go to.

The leader updated the forum software only a few weeks ago! He also stated more updates on progress would be posted soon. Not sure what more is expected? The money  goes to help keep this forum up and running.

Whatever the future is for osC 10's of thousands of people like me and you still use it and this forum. Any new project if and when it happens will not automatically get people to switch to it! so this forum still needs support. It's only a few quid not really much to think about considering all the benefits people have had or are still getting from using osC over the years!

What ever your using! 2.2a, 2.3.4 , 2.3.4.1, Gold, Edge, Frozen or CE it's all thanks to Harold and all the team members working on it over the years.

5 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

After all the years that I have been using oscommerce I am thinking of donating and becoming an Ambassador, just as  away to say thanks,  but is there really any point. To all intents and purposes the project has stalled somewhat. The leader in MIA, so where will my money go to.

The point is you are saying "Thanks" and your donation should not be dependent on some kind of expectation. Totally worth it.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

The decision seems to be split and I have to agree with @Tsimi Lambros.

I can publicly thank HPDL for his code on this forum. I dont need to pay for that. Thank you @HPDL for the code you produced. There done it for free.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

22 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

The leader updated the forum software only a few weeks ago!

Sorry but that is not a valid reason.
I would never choose a cart system because their forum software is up to date. I rather have an old(er) forum software but the latest and greatest osC system regularly updated and taking care of.

He also stated more updates on progress would be posted soon.

Yes he indeed did but once again nothing happened. Not sure what his time frame or deadline is since he does not communicate it.

Not sure what more is expected?

Regular updates to the project. Showing up in the forum from time to time, in short(er) intervals. As Ambassador besides getting a larger message inbox upgrade maybe a few more perks like editing your own posts even past 15min.

The money  goes to help keep this forum up and running.

The money should go into the development of the osC cart system. Meaning you pay the coders or team members for their work to keep them motivated. Could be also achieved with a better Market place where paid apps could be sold and osC could take a certain % from the sold apps. With that they could finance whatever they need and offer good, professional apps with support.

I really don't want to sound like a broken record but the issues are all still there and nothing has changed. Maybe Harald got fed up with us after his last visit but what did he expect? Flowers and a pad on the shoulder for neglecting this project? We offered help and a temporary solution to keep osC somewhat alive, it has been denied.
I don't care if I can now show 50 different smileys or only 10. Merging the forums should not be his priority and if there is a big picture behind all this then he should simply communicate it on a regular basis.

Regarding donating money, I mean if someone feels that giving money as a sign of appreciation then sure go ahead. But if you expect to get something more because you become ambassador or the project development moves faster forward then you are mistaken. A simple "thank you" as Steve just posted will also suffice especially if it comes from someone that is daily here giving help and support in the forum to others for free.

1 hour ago, Tsimi said:

But if you expect to get something more because you become ambassador or the project development moves faster forward then you are mistaken.

Was never the point of becoming an ambassador!

“The osCommerce Ambassador program is a membership for those interested in supporting and advocating osCommerce, and promoting ones profile in the community. “

So is not relevant. It’s about saying thank you for the years and years of using the software for free!  as in no annual cost! ( I personally paid for the software when originally setting up my site (as I’m sure many others did also.) as it was part of the cost paid to the developer for setting up.

If your not happy with what H is doing then that’s not a problem! Go do something else? There is nothing stopping anyone from joining a new project. Open source software is all about enjoying the involvement and I would encourage people to get involved in as many projects as they like.

It’s ok to support and use more than one project. I run a number of sites and not all use osC and why should they. I use what is best for each and you should too.

If your happy with your osC site and how it runs as thousands are then support the team, forum and project.

If not go find another project! Lots of very good ones to choose from. The internet is a vast place plenty of room for new projects. 😊

So you basically condone the way this project is going? Because....it is free?

For a project to be supported it must be alive. This one is dead in the water. Last update somewhere in Aug 2017

osC being free...you make it sound like it is something special. Considering that most of the good features need to be installed afterwards either via modules in CE edition or manually editing core code. There are indeed other alternatives out there which are as far I know also "free" and come with a nicer package.

Like I said everyone is free to do what they like but if we don't say what we think and just accept what is going on and ride with the current wave then...well shit.

I personally,
I don't own a store as I stated many times I am just here because I like to copy&paste code and I think I like this community, the people here, at least most of them.
And I did donate in the past before this whole Ambassador was even a thing but that was when osC was going forward long, long time ago.

1 hour ago, Tsimi said:

well shit

saying what you think is one thing. Discouraging people from donating and being unnecessarily negative about the project and its founder are not in the spirit of being an ambassador.

You can be critical without resorting to discouraging people from donating

As I have said many times before why are people who hate the way osC is being run still hanging around. You and others have been posting these derogatory and negative posts for a number of years now! What has it achieved?

Absolutely nothing! Yet you learn nothing from it and keep persisting. Your effort would be better served working on your new project and delivering that in a timely fashion. Then people can support and donate to that as well.

As I said enough love to go round stop hating on osC. 😁

4 hours ago, Tsimi said:

Regarding donating money, I mean if someone feels that giving money as a sign of appreciation then sure go ahead.

That is what I said. I fail to see where I discourage people to donate.
My very first post was a reply to Steve's question which was "...but is there really any point..."

No one "hates" osC. They, me included, don't like or don't think is right as to how this project is going forward, or not going forward at this moment. And as a "community" member and a free person I have the right to say what I think and don't like. If Harald doesn't like that then he knows what to do. Criticism can either be taken personally or constructively.
Again, no hate towards osC itself on the contrary because we love it we are disappointed that it gets neglected.

And the "do it better if you can" kinda comment at the end is lame. It is not I who put a project out there for people to download and use. If you do something like that then you need to show some responsibility, you are at least responsible for support and communication, otherwise you might as well pack up.

Steve found the answer he was seeking for so I guess this thread can be closed. And since I lack the power to do that we just have to wait till some mod with necessary powers shows up.

No surprise @Tsimi it's the answer I have come to expect. Anyone not agreeing with your little band of brothers is dismissed or blocked. Never mind I’m sure you will behave differently in the other form! Oh no of-course not it’s the same old nonsense there as well.

We can have a discussion with a 😊 or a ☹️ either way we see things differently, just accept it.

Closed.  

Free Speech is one thing, but respectful free speech is another.  That someone does or does not agree with someone else...is fine - no need for arguments.  I really don't want to have to read these types of back and forth he said she said nonsense.

• burt locked this topic

Archived