Jump to content
Latest News: (loading..)
abcdefg

Oscommerce 2.3.4 PHP 7 Real Upgrade (not Hotfix)

Recommended Posts

Hello All,

After looking in to this I can see that oscommerce 2.3.4 does not work with php 7 but oscommerce 2.3.4.1 does work on both php 5+ and php 7+

I would like to use the 2.3.4 version running correctly on php 7 but without the hotfix. Regarding all the bootstrap versions (CE, Frozen, Gold and any others out there) they are not authorised oscommerce official releases so I have no intention of using them just because they have bootstrap. From what I found after researching is that none of those unauthorised versions work with php 7 anyway.

The hotfix release 2.3.4.1 allows for oscommerce to run on php 7 but it does not provide the benefits of using php 7 which in many tests by experts and users has shown to be up to 10x faster than php 5. It does not also prepare for the day when most server and hosting companies will force customers on to php 7

In version 2.3.4.1 apart from the Paypal module throwing an error the rest of the front end seems to be working as normal. The error is shown in shopping_cart.php when using Paypal Express as a method of payment and the error has been mentioned in several posts in the forum before. There are several other errors thrown in admin too but they are minimal as the site more or less works.

I will be willing to donate and contribute financially if it is possible for somebody to take a clean version of 2.3.4 (without the hotfix) then modify each and every place where the php 5/7 issue occurs so it can be released as an official version 2.3.4.2 or at least an unofficial version 2.3.4.2 or if a step by step guide could be released on how to update and upgrade version 2.3.4 to work completely on php 7 with all the benefits of php 7

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they are not authorised oscommerce official releases

Not a valid reason. The "official" release(s) are very old and outdated, and totally unsupported. You might as well move to the only version with any semblance of support, which is 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen. No one in their right mind is going to invest any effort into really "fixing" the official release, when most of what you're asking for is already done in Edge.

It looks unlikely that Edge will ever be "official" in the sense of its being the downloadable version from this site. The owner of osC, Harald, keeps disappearing for long periods. He promises much, but in the last few years has delivered nothing (unless you want to count the 2.3.4.1 hot patch, which merely suppresses PHP 7 deprecated warnings, and thus is useless).


If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get (stable) Frozen or (unstable) Edge. See also the naming convention and the latest community-supported responsive "Edge" release

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

 

 

Not a valid reason. The "official" release(s) are very old and outdated, and totally unsupported. You might as well move to the only version with any semblance of support, which is 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen. No one in their right mind is going to invest any effort into really "fixing" the official release, when most of what you're asking for is already done in Edge.

It looks unlikely that Edge will ever be "official" in the sense of its being the downloadable version from this site. The owner of osC, Harald, keeps disappearing for long periods. He promises much, but in the last few years has delivered nothing (unless you want to count the 2.3.4.1 hot patch, which merely suppresses PHP 7 deprecated warnings, and thus is useless).

Well thank you for your post.

Going by what you said regarding the unofficial releases, what is the difference between 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE/Frozen and version 2.3.4.1? Are the unofficial 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE/Frozen simply 2.3.4.1 with bootstrap? If so can you confirm if they supress php 7 or if they are running on php 7 with all the benefits of php 7.

About version 2.3.4 and 2.3.4.1 they are the last official releases regardless of Harald and his input (or lack of). Not having bootstrap is not a big deal for me. If unofficial 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE/Frozen are not supporting php 7 then as mentioned earlier I will be willing to donate and contribute financially if it is possible for somebody to take a clean version of 2.3.4 (without the hotfix) then modify each and every place where the php 5/7 issue occurs so it works fully on php 7.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As of now 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE/ seems to be compatible with PHP 7.1 in my shop. I was running a 7.2 but it was showing more notices and warnings on my error log. I rolled back on advice from a professional.


I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@abcdefg

As others have mentioned, there is only one person that can make an 'official' release of osC, and he has been absent for some time. If you want to hire someone to make the last 'official' osC 2.3.4 version PHP 7.x compatible, go ahead. But, it won't ever become an 'official' version without Harold's approval (and I wouldn't bet on that ever happening).

If you want an up-to-date version of osC, one that is responsive, one that is PHP 7.1 compatible, and one that IS currently being used in live sites, then your best choice is the (yes, unofficial) Community Edition.

M


If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Frozen" release here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, altoid said:

As of now 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE/ seems to be compatible with PHP 7.1 in my shop. I was running a 7.2 but it was showing more notices and warnings on my error log. I rolled back on advice from a professional.

If 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE is compatible with PHP 7.1 but not PHP 7.2 then it means more work will be required in future to get that sorted out but from what I read the development has been Frozen (hence the name).

Interesting reading what you wrote, I will download and test but downside for me is that I will probably not be able to use winmerge to compare the versions and update 2.3.4 to become fully PHP 7.1 compliant because the 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE will have bootstrap code too and would probably be extremely time consuming to complete that is why I am willing to donate or pay.

As mentioned earlier I have no desire or need for bootstrap but I would really like to have 2.3.4 fully compatible with PHP 7+

Edited by abcdefg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@abcdefg

52 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

As mentioned earlier I have no desire or need for bootstrap but I would really like to have 2.3.4 fully compatible with PHP 7+

In this day and age of mobile devices, why do you believe that you have no need for (something like) Bootstrap? Are you 100% sure that your customers (or your client's customers) will NEVER try to shop your site on a mobile device?

Just asking ...

M


If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Frozen" release here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, altoid said:

As of now 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE/ seems to be compatible with PHP 7.1 in my shop. I was running a 7.2 but it was showing more notices and warnings on my error log. I rolled back on advice from a professional.

Is 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE the same as 2.3.4 Gold here: https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/archive/master.zip

If it is, then it throws errors upon error on PHP 7.2.8 on front end and admin end. Here are some admin examples:

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ht_noscript has a deprecated constructor in C:...catalog\includes\modules\header_tags\ht_noscript.php on line 13
Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in C:\......admin\includes\functions\compatibility.php on line 22
Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; logger has a deprecated constructor in C:\........admin\includes\classes\logger.php on line 13

It would be strange if Gold was the same as CE/Edge because of all these Deprecated error codes after reading your earlier post suggesting it was working on PHP 7.2 but giving a few errors in the error log.

Does anybody have a download link to Edge/CE if it not the same as Gold?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, ArtcoInc said:

@abcdefg

In this day and age of mobile devices, why do you believe that you have no need for (something like) Bootstrap? Are you 100% sure that your customers (or your client's customers) will NEVER try to shop your site on a mobile device?

Just asking ...

M

Hello Malcolm, thank you for the post.

I just want to use a PHP 7 compatible version of oscommerce 2.3.4 for my projects to test various codes and play around with using test websites not available to the public.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Fair enough ...

Like I said earlier, you can hire someone to do this for you. You can post a RFQ in the commercial area of this forum:

https://forums.oscommerce.com/forum/79-commercial-support-inquiries/

Plus, there are other online services where you can ask for programmers to bid on jobs.

M


If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Frozen" release here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@abcdefg

11 minutes ago, abcdefg said:

Is 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE the same as 2.3.4 Gold here: https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/archive/master.zip

It would be strange if Gold was the same as CE/Edge because of all these Deprecated error codes after reading your earlier post suggesting it was working on PHP 7.2 but giving a few errors in the error log.

Does anybody have a download link to Edge/CE if it not the same as Gold?

The Community Edition began under the guidance of Burt back in 2014. The first effort was based on the then current osC v2.3.3.4. When osC v2.3.4 was released, Burt merged his work into v2.3.4. Because the code was constantly being updates, and some people wanted a 'fixed' version, Burt released Gold in January, 2015.

Development continued, under the name Edge. There were no release numbers, so you have to pay attention to the date the package was released. It was during this time that the code was updated to be PHP 7.x compatible. He also incorporated the v2.3.4.1 hot-fix updates.

With people still wanting a 'fixed' version, Burt released Frozen in August of this year.

All of these are the 'Community Edition', but there is only one Frozen. If your package has a date of August 31, 2018, you have Frozen.

HTH

M


If you are running the "official" osC 2.3.4 or 2.3.4.1 download, your installation is obsolete! Get the latest community-supported responsive "Frozen" release here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ArtcoInc said:

Fair enough ...

Like I said earlier, you can hire someone to do this for you. You can post a RFQ in the commercial area of this forum:

https://forums.oscommerce.com/forum/79-commercial-support-inquiries/

Plus, there are other online services where you can ask for programmers to bid on jobs.

M

Thank you for the link, I will look at it and maybe look at some coder for hire websites too. I appreciate the reply, thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, altoid said:

As of now 2.3.4.1 Edge/CE/ seems to be compatible with PHP 7.1 in my shop. I was running a 7.2 but it was showing more notices and warnings on my error log. I rolled back on advice from a professional.

Interesting, do you have more specifics on the error messages?

I currently have a shop running on PHP 7.2.8 which is based on EDGE version from April 2018 and don't get any errors except for some undefined definitions missing in my secondary language file set and one inside the Paypal login module.

Edited by Tsimi

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hello Tsimi, thank you for the post.

I am running this version on PHP 7.2.8 on XAMPP: https://github.com/gburton/osCommerce-234-bootstrap/archive/master.zip

At the moment I cannot get past admin login I am unable to check to see which package it shows in admin. I listed some of the deprecated errors in an earlier post:

Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; ht_noscript has a deprecated constructor in C:...catalog\includes\modules\header_tags\ht_noscript.php on line 13
Deprecated: The each() function is deprecated. This message will be suppressed on further calls in C:\......admin\includes\functions\compatibility.php on line 22
Deprecated: Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; logger has a deprecated constructor in C:\........admin\includes\classes\logger.php on line 13

Please could you give me a download link URL for the EDGE version you have so I can test it on my PHP 7.2.8 because the above link is the only I have managed to locate that is related to CE/Edge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, abcdefg said:

Not having bootstrap is not a big deal for me.

Its not really about you, its about your customers. Check your google statistics if you have them and see how many people in this day and age use some other device apart from a desktop computer to view your website. Also check your google rankings to see whether you are being penalised for not having a responsive website.

At the end of the day its up to you, but people are genuinely trying to give you the best advice.


REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Before installing the official version of oscommerce first look at a responsive version here

It's very easy to over complicate what are simple things in life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 14steve14 said:

Its not really about you, its about your customers. Check your google statistics if you have them and see how many people in this day and age use some other device apart from a desktop computer to view your website. Also check your google rankings to see whether you are being penalised for not having a responsive website.

At the end of the day its up to you, but people are genuinely trying to give you the best advice.

Hello Steve, nice to meet you. Thank you for the post. I completely sincerely appreciate all the advice and comments that have been given here, it is a great community here.

As I said in an earlier post to Malcolm I currently have no interest in bootstrap and this is for a number of reasons. The main being because the oscommerce stores will be used for testing and demo purposes without ever going live therefore when you mention it is about my customers you are mistaken because there are no customers and for this part of the project there will not be any customers in future either.

The end result would not be just limited to trying to have version 2.3.4 running on PHP 7+ by updating all the necessary code but it is something I hope to do or have done by someone by paying for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Tsimi said:

Interesting, do you have more specifics on the error messages?

I currently have a shop running on PHP 7.2.8 which is based on EDGE version from April 2018 and don't get any errors except for some undefined definitions missing in my secondary language file set and one inside the Paypal login module.

They were mostly notices, with a few warnings when I was on 7.2*

PP Express related...and other add on we're the source.

Often similar to the undefined definitions as you mentioned. 

Rolling back to 7.1 did reduce issues showing up in the log 

The shop was running fine on 7.2, it's only when I checked the log did I notice.


I am not a professional webmaster or PHP coder by background or training but I will try to help as best I can.

I remember what it was like when I first started with osC. It can be overwhelming.

However, I strongly recommend considering hiring a professional for extensive site modifications, site cleaning, etc.

There are several good pros here on osCommerce. Look around, you'll figure out who they are.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, ArtcoInc said:

@abcdefg

The Community Edition began under the guidance of Burt back in 2014. The first effort was based on the then current osC v2.3.3.4. When osC v2.3.4 was released, Burt merged his work into v2.3.4. Because the code was constantly being updates, and some people wanted a 'fixed' version, Burt released Gold in January, 2015.

Development continued, under the name Edge. There were no release numbers, so you have to pay attention to the date the package was released. It was during this time that the code was updated to be PHP 7.x compatible. He also incorporated the v2.3.4.1 hot-fix updates.

With people still wanting a 'fixed' version, Burt released Frozen in August of this year.

All of these are the 'Community Edition', but there is only one Frozen. If your package has a date of August 31, 2018, you have Frozen.

HTH

M

Thank you for all the background information, lots of it makes sense to me now.

So if development continued under the name Edge and the code was updated to be PHP 7 compatible along with the v2.3.4.1 hotfix then it means that package should work on both PHP 5 and PHP 7. It also means that with using winmerge it should be possible to see where the PHP 5/7 issues are therefore it should be possible to change them line by line on v2.3.4 to end up with a bootstrap-free v2.3.4 fully compliant on PHP 7

Edited by abcdefg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, raiwa said:

Then you are not using the latest 2.3.4.1 CE Frozen version.

You can download it here:

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/releases

 

Hello Raiwa, nice to meet you. Many thanks for the links. I downloaded it, you were right I was not using the latest version 2.3.4.1 CE Frozen.

I have it running on PHP 7.2.8 on XAMPP, all seems fine. I had some not so important header notices in the end admin end after installing the Paypal App but had no errors in the front end.

Thanks, now I have to make some time to try to find all the PHP 5/7 edits using winmerge

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, abcdefg said:

Hello Raiwa, nice to meet you. Many thanks for the links. I downloaded it, you were right I was not using the latest version 2.3.4.1 CE Frozen.

I have it running on PHP 7.2.8 on XAMPP, all seems fine. I had some not so important header notices in the end admin end after installing the Paypal App but had no errors in the front end.

Thanks, now I have to make some time to try to find all the PHP 5/7 edits using winmerge

There are a few known bugs in 2.3.4.1 CE Frozen which are listed here:

 

The most important one is this:

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Correction to my previous comment. I did find a buggy behavior in the admin area.
When I switch to PHP 7.1 it does not happen.
When I try to install any module no matter which one it gives me the language definition missing message even though the language definition is there. And a header already send bla bla bla something inside the general.php

Guess I'll stick to PHP 7.1.20 for now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Tsimi said:

Correction to my previous comment. I did find a buggy behavior in the admin area.
When I switch to PHP 7.1 it does not happen.
When I try to install any module no matter which one it gives me the language definition missing message even though the language definition is there. And a header already send bla bla bla something inside the general.php

Guess I'll stick to PHP 7.1.20 for now.

Doesn't happen to me, works ok under PHP 7.29

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, raiwa said:

There are a few known bugs in 2.3.4.1 CE Frozen which are listed here:

 

The most important one is this:

 

Once again many thanks for the assistance and the links. I will check them out then try to see what the situation is.

Right now the idea is not even to attempt to use v2.3.4.1 CE Frozen version in a live environment. Either today or hopefully I will use winmerge and start looking at trying to incorporate whatever changes are required to make v2.3.4 compatible with PHP 7 then I will run some tests which is what I want to do initially.

Edited by abcdefg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, raiwa said:

Doesn't happen to me, works ok under PHP 7.29

You also running EDGE or FROZEN?
I am using an older EDGE version from April with a few commits applied to it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×