• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

TEP STOP error when changing to PHP7.2

Remco Leuven

Hi all, great to see the osCommerce community is still online. I'm currently running into some issues.

The cause is mostly myself :p back in the old days, I have started a webshop for the company of my inlaws. Unfortunately, after this was all up and running, I haven't developed myself in PHP. Using some guides provided by the community, I managed to get the shop working again when switching to PHP5.4. But I recently got a mail from my host that they are forcing a switch to PHP7 on September 10th. From the hosting postal I could already switch to PHP7 and guess what, the shop isn't working anymore.

I'm using version: osCommerce Online Merchant v2.2 RC2a with a lot of custom addons such as iDEAL, coupons, customer discount and many more.

The main issue at the moment is that the page is giving a TEP STOP at the insert into sessions query. PHP error log is not showing anything relevant other than an undefined index HTTP_ACCEPT_LANGUAGE. The full error:

- 

insert into sessions values ('ms5kltsg5d8fo0nvkuo498d3b4', '1536497373', 'cart|O:12:\"shoppingCart\":4:{s:8:\"contents\";a:0:{}s:5:\"total\";i:0;s:6:\"weight\";i:0;s:12:\"content_type\";b:0;}language|N;languages_id|N;')

[TEP STOP]

Strange thing it that according to database.php, the - on stop should contain the mysqli errorno and error. But as you see, there's no SQL error. 

When I empty the sessions table, and refresh the index.php, the session is stored in the database, but the page stays blank. Only after another refresh, I get the TEP STOP error, that 2nd time, the sessions is not added in the database. So I guess something is going wrong with checking if the session is already there?

I hope you can help me with this issue. In the meantime I am installing and configuring the osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4.1 CE version that I found on this forum as a replacement of the older versions. Let's hope I can easily migrate products and configurations. But best would be to use the 'old' shop again when the issues are fixed.

Thanks in advance,

Remco

13 minutes ago, Remco Leuven said:

I am installing and configuring the osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4.1 CE version that I found on this forum as a replacement of the older versions. Let's hope I can easily migrate products and configurations. But best would be to use the 'old' shop again when the issues are fixed.

That's the right answer.  Keeping the old version running will be a continued source of problems.  

Dan

33 minutes ago, Dan Cole said:

That's the right answer.

Yes, it will be easier to switch to the new osC (note that it requires PHP 5.6 or higher) than to try to patch up your old osC to properly run on PHP 7.2. Migrating the database might have to be done manually (modifying tables), but it's a one-time job. Your biggest task will be to update your add-ons and any custom code you've made, to run on the new system. On the bright side, you'll have PHP 7.2 compatibility, responsive design (mobile-friendly), a lot of bugs fixed, and a lot more secure. Once you've got that, please try to stay up--to-date and not let your shop fall so far behind again. The longer you let it stagnate, the bigger and harder the job to make it current (such as when your host updates PHP).

Unfortunately, your new version is probably the end of the road for osCommerce. There's no sign that the current offering (official 2.3.4.1) will be developed any further (it hasn't been updated in years), and Gary seems to be saying that's it for the CE version (his further work is on another project). There are a number of projects out there based on osC (and thus an easy migration from osC) that you'll eventually have to choose from, unless you want to learn PHP and maintain your store yourself.

@Remco Leuven
you have more alternatives. Accept these advices or listen to real voices. There are two type of hosts. One accepts php settings another not so user can set up php version by his own decision. I have hired my hosting for 15 years and there are 5 PHP version choices from v4 until v7.2 without any php compatibility issues..
So migrate to a correct host is an alternative way.

The real problem are android devices and google's customers behaviour measuring. You wont have another choice that do responsive shop by the way and give all personal data about your customer to android account monopolium.

Finaly if you dont have php ability then you have to choice a developer.

It's not a good idea to stay with very old PHP versions that are out of support. Hackers love to attack systems running on unsupported PHP, as they know where all the security holes are. Right now, PHP 5.6 and up is supported, but after the beginning of 2019, only 7.1 and 7.2 will be supported. Use anything older at your own risk.

Hackers are constantly looking for things that can be exploited to break into a system. An example would be a buffer overflow, where you cram 10 pounds of shit into a 5 pound sack, and something can overwrite code with your data when the sack bursts. Trust me, such things do happen. Just because you're totally unaware means nothing -- ignorance is not bliss.

A new PHP system does have new code which might be exploited, but it's also being continuously patched. An old system (like pre-5.6) is no longer being patched, and any security holes that are still there, are there forever. Hackers know about them, they know the code being run on them (such as osC), and sometimes can figure out data or usage of osC that will exploit that hole.

It took almost no effort in installing the new version and migrate products, orders, customer and other default tables to the new shop.

So only thing left is some theming and adding some modules. I must say I'm happily surprised by the new version, and bummer i didn't switch earlier. 

The old shop is still having the issue though, but I have until the 30th to get the new shop up and running. For now I'm already happy the new shop is having the old data, and that customers can at least make orders via Paypal or prepaid via bank.

Archived