• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Nothing happens after install

Subbie

I am new to oscommerce and building a site on localhost. Using osCommerce Online Merchant v2.3.4.1.

I copied the contents of the zip as described in the manual and followed all the instructions and on the admin side everything looks fine. The module is seen as installed and all the defaults were used. See Screenshot:

image.thumb.png.20af5eabdf72f9fc0b831e040d293cf2.png

I have checked the tree structure and all the files are in the expected folders. I have cleared all caches and refreshed everything and still there appears to be no navbar on front end see screenshot.

image.thumb.png.990af5fbc4f6b192a32fbfa61291d0d0.png

There are no errors flagged up and am at a loss to what is wrong. Grateful for any guidance. 

Subbie

The navbar (not megamenu) have to activate extra. Read the manual, for newbies a must!

Edited by mcmannehan
  • The clever one learn from everything and from everybody
  • The normal one learn from his experience
  • The silly one knows everything better

[socrates, 412 before Christ]

Computers help us with the problems we wouldn't have without them!
99.9% of the bugs sit in front of the computer!
My programmed add-ons: WDW EasyTabs 1.0.3, WDW Facebook Like 1.0.0

if(isset($this) || !isset($this)){ // that's the question...

56 minutes ago, mcmannehan said:

The navbar (not megamenu) have to activate extra. Read the manual, for newbies a must!

@mcmannehanYou are talking about 2.3.4 BS community responsive version. He downloaded and installed the standard version, there is no navbar. You are too fast responding, read carefully the messages.

@Subbie, please discard the store version you have installed. It is obsolete.

Please use the 2.3.4.1 CE community version. It is responsive, mobile ready and compatible with latest PHP versions up to 7.2.

You can download it here:

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/2341-Frozen.zip

Once you got it installed and find troubles, please post again.

Edited by raiwa

2 minutes ago, raiwa said:

@mcmannehanYou are talking about 2.3.4 BS community responsive version. He downloaded and installed the standard version, there is no navbar. You are too fast responding, read carefully the messages.

@Subbie, please discard the store version you have installed. It is obsolete.

Please use the 2.3.4.1 CE community version. It is responsive, mobile ready and compatible with latest PHP versions up to 7.2.

You can download it here:

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/archive/2341-Frozen.zip

Once you got it installed and find troubles, please post again.

@raiwa yes you right, thx, i did not see that.

• The clever one learn from everything and from everybody
  • The normal one learn from his experience
  • The silly one knows everything better

[socrates, 412 before Christ]

Computers help us with the problems we wouldn't have without them!
99.9% of the bugs sit in front of the computer!
My programmed add-ons: WDW EasyTabs 1.0.3, WDW Facebook Like 1.0.0

if(isset($this) || !isset($this)){ // that's the question...

Thanks Raiwa

That did the trick! One thing to help me with. I am not great at coding etc and know my way around a little. I need to change the black navbar/footer colour scheme. I know I have to amend the css but what would I look for and in what css?

Once again many thans for your kind response.

Subbie

Make all your changes in user.css it will be in your shop root. You will find a sample user.css in the above thread. It give you the basic's to make chnages to the look of the stock shop.

Edited by JcMagpie

Sorry Zahad for not being clear.

I have read the connecting thread and still unclear.

I have created the user.css and it is in the root. What I was asking is into what file do I put the reference to the css in oscommerce? I would normally use 

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="user.css"> in Index File.

The site is not picking the css up in root as it is and I am therefore asking in which file do I put the reference?

Thanks for your patience with a newbee!

Subbie

@Subbie

If I understand you correctly, you are using the 'official' v2.3.4.1 version of osCommerce, correct?

As @raiwa mentioned earlier, the 'official' version is very much out of date! The osCommerce project was lead by one person that has been absent for quite some time. In his absence, the "community" has continued with the development of osC. Unfortunately, that one missing person is the only one that can make this continued development an 'official' release.

The 'Community Edition' (also called osC-CE (for Community Edition), osC-BS (for Bootstrap, the platform it is based on), osC-Edge, osC-Final, and/or osC-Frozen. These are all different names for the same thing) is a big improvement over the last 'official' v2.3.4 release in a number of ways:

1) It is responsive. This means that it will adjust the screen layout depending on the size of the screen of your customer's device. This is very important in this day of mobile devices. The 'official' version is not responsive.

2) It will work with the newer version of PHP, the scripting language used in osC. As more and more hosts upgrade their servers to PHP 7.x, older versions of osC will crash.

3) It is much more modular. This means that you can turn features on or off, or even add new features, all without touching the core code.

You can find a link to the latest version of the Community Edition in my signature below.

Now, having said all of that, the Community Edition has a file in the root directory of the shop called user.css. This is the last CSS file called, and thus will override all other CSS definitions. Out of the box, this file is empty. This is where you, the shop owner, put all of your CSS definitions. This way, you do not have to edit any of the stock CSS files.

The user.css file does not exist in the 'official' version of osC.

HTH

Malcolm