• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

IIS report php-cgi exited unexpectedly

sunmonjaya

I had a site with oscommerce v2.2 rc, recently the site is moved to a hoster with windows.

when i try to login into admin page to setup paypal, IIS report the following error frequently. When i check the log files. no php_error log can be found.

but window event log had message like that.

Faulting application name: php-cgi.exe, version: 5.2.17.17, time stamp: 0x4d25fc25
Faulting module name: ntdll.dll, version: 6.3.9600.18895, time stamp: 0x5a4b127e
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0006c0eb
Faulting process id: 0x1c64
Faulting application start time: 0x01d441f6d9a2d3be
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Plesk\Additional\PleskPHP5\php-cgi.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\ntdll.dll
Report Id: 9ed631f0-adea-11e8-80c9-9c3566655928
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

because there are no php error, it seems like the server problem, but this error just happend when someone access the payment related pages.

I had google for hours , and didn't get useful answer.

Does anyone has ideas about it?

Your new host is runnung a newer version of PHP which is not compatiable with your old 2.2 store!  thei file is part of PHP not osC, your option ask host to run older version of PHP on your store or upgrade your store to an more upto date version of osC.

php-cgi.exe

osC 2.2 is out of Date. You should change to the osC 2.3.4.2 CE

• The clever one learn from everything and from everybody
  • The normal one learn from his experience
  • The silly one knows everything better

[socrates, 412 before Christ]

Computers help us with the problems we wouldn't have without them!
99.9% of the bugs sit in front of the computer!
My programmed add-ons: WDW EasyTabs 1.0.3, WDW Facebook Like 1.0.0

if(isset($this) || !isset($this)){ // that's the question...

upgrade to osC 2.3.4.2 CE seems diffcult, because i had so many changes in the code.

2 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Your new host is runnung a newer version of PHP which is not compatiable with your old 2.2 store!  thei file is part of PHP not osC, your option ask host to run older version of PHP on your store or upgrade your store to an more upto date version of osC.

php-cgi.exe

but JcMagpie 's suggestion maybe works.  The old host is running on redhat, but new host's OS is windows.   Maybe I can download a clean php 5.2 other than php 5.2 provided by plesk.

Your waste your time, more problems will come. But it's up to you!

I recommand you shoud also change back to Win98, thats the same what you do now with your old shop. 😉

4 hours ago, sunmonjaya said:

but JcMagpie 's suggestion maybe works

For any successful business with an online shop that is doing good business you do need to be looking to update your old software to a new responsive version as well as updating to use latest PHP version.

If your store is a heavily modified 2.2 based store then you will have problems with moving. Do not rush into anything, this is important.

To many people have made this mistake and end up in a mess trying to patch a peace meal solution together to achieve about 60% of what the old shop achieved.

As you have already moved to a new server talk to your host about getting the same PHP version you had before. This will allow you time to think and plan your move to a new shop.

If they are unable to do this then move host. Most of the good hosts allow you to select which version of PHP you need for your site.

Remember this is only a short term stop gap to a better solution.

Then do a full audit of all your add-on and custom code and decide if you still need them. With that list made check the app’s market on the forum and see which add-ons are available from your list for the new osC

If you feel that most of your needs are covered wonderful, If not then check in the commercial section and see if one of the developers can get you what you need for the new osC. Most key add-ons have been updated.

Then in your own time simply install a new shop in parallel with your current one and slowly get it set-up as you require installing the add-on’s you need and any other code changes. Once you have a stable new store you can then make a copy of your old database and begin converting it to the new format and import all or just the parts you need.

When you are satisfied your new store is stable and you are happy you understand it sufficiently you can talk to your host and look to switch to the new store in a controlled fashion. Make sure you take care to redirect all your old links to the new shop.

If all this feels too much ask for help in the commercial section.

What you can do in plesk is have a different PHP version for each domain.

E.g. my server shipped with PHP 5.3 but I installed PHP 5.6 and then later PHP 7.1 

1. Tools & Setting 
  2. Updatesand Upgrades .
  3. Add/remove components
  4. web hosting
  5. Php interpreter version
  6. it will now provide a list of available PHP versions you can install
  7. Click on the which version(s) you want to install
  8. Plesk will then download and install them for you
  9. For the domain you want to change the PHP for you will need to click on PHP settings
  10. Near the top you get two drop-down one for PHP version and the second for how it should run. In my case it says fastcgi application server by Apache

Those steps where based on plesk 17.8 on Linux, you may get slightly different options

I did get PHP 5 from is vendor and a separate PHP 5.3 I could install

What you can do is have PHP 5.2 on your current site setup a sub domain for it and have that run on a newer version of PHP.

Plesk will also keep any PHP installed this way up to date with any updates.

Phoenix support now at https://phoenixcart.org/forum/
App created for phoenix
TinyMCE editor for admin

11 hours ago, sunmonjaya said:

I had a site with oscommerce v2.2 rc, recently the site is moved to a hoster with windows. 

1. As discussed by others, osC 2.2RC* is horribly obsolete. You should have kept up with the times and now you're in a pickle.
  2. Why did you move off of Linux and on to Windows? Windows is a POS -- they still don't know how to do a good server, and they're a lot more expensive. Let me guess -- your Pointy Haired Boss decreed that it must be better because it's from a corporation with billionaire employees.
  3. PHP 5.2 ought to be fairly compatible with an osC that old, unless your payment module code requires a higher level of PHP. What PHP were you running on the old server? Did you downgrade in the process of moving? Normally, the error messages should suggest how to fix/downgrade the code, but this seems to have cause a major failure.

upgrade to osC 2.3.4.2 CE seems diffcult, because i had so many changes in the code.

Sigh. How many times have I heard that excuse? If you want to swim with the sharks, learn to swim fast. You have to keep reasonably up to date with your server and your shop software, and not let things ride for years. You'll get gobsmacked out of nowhere if you don't.

Maybe I can download a clean php 5.2 other than php 5.2 provided by plesk.

I doubt that will help, but you're welcome to try. By the way, the current level of PHP is 7.1, with everything before that out of support by the end of the year. A host who doesn't offer at least PHP 5.6 at this point should be avoided at all costs. Note that the current osC offering (2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen) won't run on PHP 5.2, and your osC 2.2 won't run on current PHP levels. I suspect that in the end you're going to be installing the current offering on PHP 7.x, migrating your data over, and doing what you can to re-implement your custom code changes (where warranted).

When you finally get things sorted out, I hope you've learned this lesson: keep track in writing of every single change you make to the code -- base level, add-ons, and custom changes (no matter how small), and why you made that change (so you know whether it's already built-in to the newer version). If you ever need to install from scratch again, you'll be able to duplicate your current system's function.

13 hours ago, sunmonjaya said:

Does anyone has ideas about it?

Don't panic just talk to your host and I'm sure they will help you sort things out. PHP support is excelent and you dont have to worry to much. All PHP versions are only supported for about 3 years officialy by the PHP team after that they are considerd mature and end of life! 😂

The actual latest version is 7.2 not 7.1 you can get the details from the official PHP site http://php.net/supported-versions.php

End of life simply means that the official PHP team will no longer issue any security updates.

As I said post in the comercial section and you will get all the help you need to make a smoth trouble free transition.

image.png.03c6a1d6d7969e139fbbde973d99ee00.png

image.thumb.png.a44109e2c413587fab49c0da9d2ce7f6.png

On 9/2/2018 at 9:25 PM, MrPhil said:
  1. As discussed by others, osC 2.2RC* is horribly obsolete. You should have kept up with the times and now you're in a pickle.
  2. Why did you move off of Linux and on to Windows? Windows is a POS -- they still don't know how to do a good server, and they're a lot more expensive. Let me guess -- your Pointy Haired Boss decreed that it must be better because it's from a corporation with billionaire employees.
  3. PHP 5.2 ought to be fairly compatible with an osC that old, unless your payment module code requires a higher level of PHP. What PHP were you running on the old server? Did you downgrade in the process of moving? Normally, the error messages should suggest how to fix/downgrade the code, but this seems to have cause a major failure.

Sigh. How many times have I heard that excuse? If you want to swim with the sharks, learn to swim fast. You have to keep reasonably up to date with your server and your shop software, and not let things ride for years. You'll get gobsmacked out of nowhere if you don't.

I doubt that will help, but you're welcome to try. By the way, the current level of PHP is 7.1, with everything before that out of support by the end of the year. A host who doesn't offer at least PHP 5.6 at this point should be avoided at all costs. Note that the current osC offering (2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen) won't run on PHP 5.2, and your osC 2.2 won't run on current PHP levels. I suspect that in the end you're going to be installing the current offering on PHP 7.x, migrating your data over, and doing what you can to re-implement your custom code changes (where warranted).

When you finally get things sorted out, I hope you've learned this lesson: keep track in writing of every single change you make to the code -- base level, add-ons, and custom changes (no matter how small), and why you made that change (so you know whether it's already built-in to the newer version). If you ever need to install from scratch again, you'll be able to duplicate your current system's function.

I agree 100000000% with you. 80% of the Online selling is made with cell phones or tablets. He need to change to the new osC version or he will get eaten by the sharks. 🙂 hahaha

3 hours ago, mcmannehan said:

80% of the Online selling is made with cell phones or tablets

Are you sure? The best data I can find says in 2017 about 58% of B to C was made on mobile devices. B to B very little is done on mobile devices as most buissness stll have perchacing departments who sit in front of PC's 😊. My main B to B on mobile is from service engineers who order on phones from sites they are working on (mainly spare parts).

All other B to B is done the triditional way. The UK is still slow compared to the rest of the world, But the trend will continue to go up.

image.png.ccffc400301fa40c4f91a4918eb7dffe.png

The USA is not as big on mobile as people think!

image.png.8749071f12aaac367a0ac1c83ab0a0af.png

If people really want to know what devices people are using to view a website the owners should sign up for google analytics, or similar services.  It will save all the guessing and speculation what people are using to view a website, although I do believe that they may not all be 100% accurate. It will also depend on your customers. I was surprised to find that only 22% of my customers used a mobile device and a further 18% use a tablet, so nowhere near the 80% quoted above, but my customers are of the older generation due to the hobby, but that may have been 40% of customers who may have gone elsewhere because the site was not mobile friendly. Can I afford to loose that many of my customers because the website is not responsive, of course not.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

On 9/2/2018 at 10:25 PM, MrPhil said:
  3.  PHP 5.2 ought to be fairly compatible with an osC that old, unless your payment module code requires a higher level of PHP. What PHP were you running on the old server? Did you downgrade in the process of moving? Normally, the error messages should suggest how to fix/downgrade the code, but this seems to have cause a major failure.

Actually It's a site of my friends, it's a tiny business, not a company. I occasionlly help him in technical problem.  I don't now why he move off of linux to windows, but he had paid for the new host.

I'm sure the paypal extension of osC has some problem with php 5.2.17, but i don't know where it is.

I thought that upgrading to osC2.3.4 is more diffcult than to upgrade to Php7. So I try to use PHP7.2.   Up to now, it didn't get caught by 500 error.

17 hours ago, 14steve14 said:

If people really want to know what devices people are using to view a website the owners should sign up for google analytics, or similar services.  It will save all the guessing and speculation what people are using to view a website, although I do believe that they may not all be 100% accurate. It will also depend on your customers. I was surprised to find that only 22% of my customers used a mobile device and a further 18% use a tablet, so nowhere near the 80% quoted above, but my customers are of the older generation due to the hobby, but that may have been 40% of customers who may have gone elsewhere because the site was not mobile friendly. Can I afford to loose that many of my customers because the website is not responsive, of course not.

How you get new customer? Your generation will change and than the mobil user don't will buy. And the cusomer i provide have a 75% to 87% buy rate of mobil device across Europa.

Anyway, the Question here was about osC 2.2 and fact is, more problem will come with payment moduls and security for the system. For all osC 2.2 user i highly recommand to change, thats the only way to don't get "eaten by the sharks". Any discussion why not change to osC 2.3.4 CE is wasting time and money.

Archived