• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Mobile adjusted website?

CamilaSwartz

You really have two choices. None of them are easy.

There is a mobile addon that creates another set of files on your system, but it is no longer being supported, and wont be.

The second is to install the BS community version of oscommerce. There is a link in my signature. This does entail a complete rebuild of your current store, but that may not be a bad thing depending on how old your current store is. You will have to add all of your current addons again, but newer versions may be available. Then all you need to do is to convert your current database to work on the new files. The new BS version is so much easier to work with and in most cases, addons are just a case of uploading the files, and clicking an install button.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

A responsive template might be worthwhile only if you already have a running shop with customers, etc. and you need to keep it running (and mobile) while changing over to the correct version. If you're just starting out, bite the bullet and go immediately to the latest and greatest osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen, which is mobile-ready. Don't install a template, because you'll never get around to upgrading to BS, and will suffer for a long time, trying to fix the old osC's flaws.

19 hours ago, MrPhil said:

A responsive template might be worthwhile only if you already have a running shop with customers, etc. and you need to keep it running (and mobile) while changing over to the correct version. If you're just starting out, bite the bullet and go immediately to the latest and greatest osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen, which is mobile-ready. Don't install a template, because you'll never get around to upgrading to BS, and will suffer for a long time, trying to fix the old osC's flaws.

Thank you for the information!

Have I understood it right, if I update to the latest version, it will be mobil-ready? That sounds fantastic it it is so. 

Camila 

1 hour ago, CamilaSwartz said:

Thank you, can I just download it to my system and then it works? I have the 2003 version of os ecommerce. 

You have to create a new database, then run the installer that is included once it is uploaded to your hosting server. The database will be filled with test products and setting so you can see the store working. Then you need to set it up and activate some modules. Then you will need to transfer all your customer, order, sales and product data from your old database to the new one. If you cant do that, there are people here that will either help you or do it for you if you post in the paid for help area.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Make sure you understand that the only really usable version, osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen, is not the official 2.3.4.1 release listed in the osCommerce Downloads section of this site. That version is many years out of date and will break on any reasonably modern server. This is a "community-supported" version. If you are still running a 15 year old version of osC, check what PHP and MySQL levels your server is at, before attempting to install the new version. Your server should be at a minimum of PHP 5.6 (which goes out of support at the end of the year, PHP 7.1 is better), with "MySQLi" installed, and MySQL 5.0 or higher. If your server is not up to that level, change to another that is up-to-date before attempting to install and run the new version (your old store will not run on the new server!).

It is possible to preserve all your data from an old live shop, but it will take some careful work. You can start with a copy or clone of your current database, and use SQL commands to modify its structure to match the modern version. If you're not up to that, hire someone to do it for you. Most data is kept in the database, so that's the bulk of the job. Then, image files (product images, store logo, etc.) can just be copied over to the new installation. Note that this is not an in-place upgrade of the old store, but a fresh installation of a whole new store, along with the migration of the old store's data. If you want to keep the old store running in the meantime, you'll have to take care not to damage it in the process by being careless with the new store's installation (especially not overwriting the old database). In any case, you should have a full backup of the old store (code and database and files), and know how to restore it (you've practiced actually restoring the backup into a working copy). If your old store is not working, or is otherwise inactive, consider simply installing the new store, removing the sample data, and starting from scratch, rather than trying to migrate the old data.

What you will get with the new store: mobile-ready (with Bootstrap), PHP 7.1+ compatible, MySQLi compatible, lots of bug fixes and new features, much easier to customize colors, etc. (all in CSS now).

On 8/28/2018 at 1:55 PM, MrPhil said:

Make sure you understand that the only really usable version, osC 2.3.4.1BS Edge/CE/Frozen, is not the official 2.3.4.1 release listed in the osCommerce Downloads section of this site. That version is many years out of date and will break on any reasonably modern server. This is a "community-supported" version. If you are still running a 15 year old version of osC, check what PHP and MySQL levels your server is at, before attempting to install the new version. Your server should be at a minimum of PHP 5.6 (which goes out of support at the end of the year, PHP 7.1 is better), with "MySQLi" installed, and MySQL 5.0 or higher. If your server is not up to that level, change to another that is up-to-date before attempting to install and run the new version (your old store will not run on the new server!).

It is possible to preserve all your data from an old live shop, but it will take some careful work. You can start with a copy or clone of your current database, and use SQL commands to modify its structure to match the modern version. If you're not up to that, hire someone to do it for you. Most data is kept in the database, so that's the bulk of the job. Then, image files (product images, store logo, etc.) can just be copied over to the new installation. Note that this is not an in-place upgrade of the old store, but a fresh installation of a whole new store, along with the migration of the old store's data. If you want to keep the old store running in the meantime, you'll have to take care not to damage it in the process by being careless with the new store's installation (especially not overwriting the old database). In any case, you should have a full backup of the old store (code and database and files), and know how to restore it (you've practiced actually restoring the backup into a working copy). If your old store is not working, or is otherwise inactive, consider simply installing the new store, removing the sample data, and starting from scratch, rather than trying to migrate the old data.

What you will get with the new store: mobile-ready (with Bootstrap), PHP 7.1+ compatible, MySQLi compatible, lots of bug fixes and new features, much easier to customize colors, etc. (all in CSS now).

Thanks! The more I read, the more I realise that I need someone to help me with this. Thank you all so much for support. 

Is it so that I can pay for that help here on this site? Or so? 

Archived