• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

PCI Compliance

rule

Stock orders database table contains 4 cc_ fields intended for data that may not actually be stored as per PCI DSS. Is it safe to remove those so that our card payment module couldn't write there?

Recent PCI scan flagged osCsid as a cookie missing the "secure" flag. Our PCI vendor states that an exception request may only be granted if we attest that the cookie is not a session cookie. Since we know that it is, what could be done about this?

That's an interesting point on the secure flaf for the cookie.  Oddly enough, the cookie test is secure and HttpOnly is true also.  I'm playing around with some ideas on my test site, but so far, I haven't been able to get it to set secure.  Hopefully, someone else can chime in on this. 

One point is your site has to be fully secure to set secure = true.  Mine is and it still doesn't set.

I'm not really a dog.

In reading on Stack Overflow, it seems that the cookie can't be set secure unless it expires in the future.  I tried some different settings but the cookie for the session would not set secure or httponly.  Since it expires when the browser closes, maybe it doesn't matter???????? 

I'm not really a dog.

If the fields are there, but you are using them, it shouldn't be a problem.   But, you can remove them as long as no files are using them.  There was a very old module that used those.

I'm not really a dog.

On 8/15/2018 at 5:30 PM, rulegacy said:

Stock orders database table contains 4 cc_ fields intended for data that may not actually be stored as per PCI DSS. Is it safe to remove those so that our card payment module couldn't write there?

Your payment module cannot write to these fields unless it is specifically coded to do so.

We use this. Perhaps it does write to the database (those 4 fields are still present in Frozen, by the way). We did consider switching to Sage Pay but all apps seem to be dated. Is anyone here using these?

As for the cookie, is it possible to set the secure tag permanently? This issue affects everyone accepting cards in the U.S. and should be given as much attention as GDPR for those serving EU customers.

If a database field is not referred to by code that you use, I can't see any reason that you couldn't go into phpMyAdmin and remove that field, if verifiers are simply looking for a field name (doesn't sound very thorough to me).

Okay, so it kind of bugged me as to why htttpOnly and secure flag wasn't set.  I tried altering the code to make it work, but it wouldn't.  Did some more research and this is a solution that will make it set secure.  Put this at the top of application_top

ini_set('session.cookie_httponly',1);
  ini_set('session.cookie_secure',1);

I'm not really a dog.

Archived