• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Make your osC better by Learning from the competition

JcMagpie

I’m always looking for ideas to help improve my shop as I’m sure others do also.

I was recently reviewing what was new in the e-commerce world and stumbled open a new cloud based e-cart. Nothing new in itself as many are moving towards cloud based options.

What caught my attention was a small statement made by the reviewer!

“One remarkable factor that differentiates VTEX from the rest of the eCommerce line-ups is its Password Free Checkout. This particular feature is believed to have boosted organic traffic by 30%, a 28% increase in revenues and a whopping 54% rise in conversion rates.”

you can read the full article here. https://www.inc.com/bill-carmody/top-seven-ecommerce-platforms-in-2018.html

I have always felt a much better shorter checkout process would be better. I have actually seen a significant improvement in conversion by simply implementing the PayPal express checkout.

I know there are addons around that allow check out without account but unless I’m mistaken they require core changes to work and I have avoided installing them.

Having seen this article I’m now thinking maybe this is one where the core change may just be worth it.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

😊 I'm sure if it was simple someone would have done it already. I think at some point you just have to accept that core changes are unavoidable.  I will be surprised if any store is running CE without some core changes. Despite all attempts to avoid them even I have had to accept that some are needed.

14 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

😊 I'm sure if it was simple someone would have done it already. I think at some point you just have to accept that core changes are unavoidable.  I will be surprised if any store is running CE without some core changes. Despite all attempts to avoid them even I have had to accept that some are needed.

Yes, I was wondering about this yesterday. Is it possible to make all changes needed without touching the core? I'm a bit unclear on this concept. Perhaps it is possible, or could be possible. I love the fact that modules can be turned on and off without touching the core code.

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

Unfortunately even the developers have had to make core changes on some of the add-ons so I guess for now we just have to accept that some essential functions will need it.

I think most will accept that if account free checkout achieves even a fraction of the claimed improvement in conversions its worth it.

14 minutes ago, Smoky Barnable said:

Is it possible to make all changes needed without touching the core?

Technically it is possible but one has to be realistic. Many addons can be made to work 100% without core changes but some cannot. For example, some addons need to change the application_top.php file. Since there can only be one instance of that file, there is no choice other than to edit it. I suggested some time ago to add code to it to load external code so that it would not have to be edited. That would make some of the changes not necessary. But even then, if a change is needed at a specific place in the file, there's no choice other than to make that edit.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

11 hours ago, Jack_mcs said:

For example, some addons need to change the application_top.php file. Since there can only be one instance of that file, there is no choice other than to edit it.

Can't do anything with this?

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/blob/b3de6ab1294c547e547bd173258fd4a19362da7c/includes/application_top.php#L336

https://github.com/gburton/Responsive-osCommerce/blob/b3de6ab1294c547e547bd173258fd4a19362da7c/includes/application_top.php#L336

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

The add-on worked perfectly no complaints about it at all.

However it still required you to go through all the same checkout steps as before and took just as long. Nothing lets the customer know they can check out as guest until they go to check out!  May need to add a statement to welcome box on index to say you can buy without account and or maybe add it to navbar as Guest checkout?

I think to get the best out of guest check out it will need to be combined with a much simpler single page checkout, that's all on one simple page. It may be possible to do it all one one small page like this with modal popups to edit each part and drop down selections. Shipping and payment can be preset to defaults and customer can just tick any changes on popup. The address can just be a simple box that they type or cut and paste the address into.

I'm sure someone will see down sides to this but just an idea for now.

image.png.6c42442044c2e1c7b0cbda8513959130.png

7 hours ago, frankl said:

Can't do anything with this?

Yes, something could be added with an action. But if a change is needed before or after that section due to being dependent on something else being loaded a manual edit is needed.  

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

2 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

maybe add it to navbar as Guest checkout

I haven't tried the PWA addon by @raiwabut all previous PWA addons required something in the cart before the guest option would appear. If that is the case with his, then adding a link to checkout that way wouldn't work unless it only showed up when something was in the cart, and that may be more confusing to the customer.

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

No sorry maybe I was not clear in what I meant, One of the complaints I get is people browse the site and then call saying I don't want to make an account I just want to buy! I then have to explain to them they can use the paypal express button which will let them just buy! Or say not to worry its not an account as such we just need your details to send you the stuff! (white lie 😊) I then delete the account after its been processed.

All the customer see at the moment is login or make an account. If we add "shop as guest" or something like that perhaps we can then link to a new alternative short checkout?

Just something clear on the index page that lets the customer know they can shop and pay without needing to go through any long winded checkout. What we need is a simple short one page checkout. I think with drop downs and popup modals we should be able to do everything.

I personally use PayPal express checkout all the time makes buying so simple, a couple of clicks and your done. Our current checkout is just too long (in my opinion)

@Jack_mcs, yes it needs something in the shopping cart to be available, but the login guest page module can be easy modified to show the create guest account module on the login page even there is nothing in the cart. Just remove or comment out the enabled condition: if($cart->count_contents() > 0)..........

The problem is that if they do not purchase immediately and the session has expired on the next visit, they'll have to create the guest account again. That's why it's not too useful to allow to create a guest account before they are ready to check out.

@JcMagpie,

You could just add an info text to the header area. One epossibility is to use my holiday promotional message module:

https://apps.oscommerce.com/G3NiL&holiday-promotional-message-bs

6 minutes ago, raiwa said:

You could just add an info text to the header area. One epossibility is to use my holiday promotional message module:

Yes @raiwa that is a good option, but I think it will have limited benefit if they still have to use the normal checkout. I was thinking if they have buy as guest option it may use a new standalone very short check out process. It would save only the order details and add nothing to account db. Not sure need more thinking time!

11 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

I was thinking if they have buy as guest option it may use a new standalone very short check out process. It would save only the order details and add nothing to account db. Not sure need more thinking time!

This is not possible. You need at least a delivery name, address and contact possibility stored in the database. It doesn't matter for data protection issues if the data is stored only in the order table or also (temporary) in the customer tables. The guest account option deletes the temporary data in customer tables in almost all cases once the purchase has been performed.

In theory it would be possible to store only contact data (e-mail, phone) for virtual products. This can be achieved modifying the guest account form.

Anyway, in my opinion, if someone doesn't wants to have a minimum of personal data be stored, he/she should go to a local store and do the purchase there. And even there, if he/she pays by card, the same amount of data or even more will be stored somewhere.

No sorry @raiwa i'm  not explaining my self very clearly, I'm not bothered about the data I'm sure that can be stored and deleted after order is finished. I'm more about making the checkout simple, quick and smooth, no page changes no complicated boxes as few clicks as possible.

It could be having a simple button with alternative check out is all that is required.

image.png.8f54dd6f925be5e71ce198eb5294112a.png

21 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

No sorry @raiwa i'm  not explaining my self very clearly, I'm not bothered about the data I'm sure that can be stored and deleted after order is finished. I'm more about making the checkout simple, quick and smooth, no page changes no complicated boxes as few clicks as possible.

It could be having a simple button with alternative check out is all that is required.

image.png.8f54dd6f925be5e71ce198eb5294112a.png

Add this button where you consider it apropriate (shopping cart, navbar, header (if product in cart), second option beside "checkout" link in navbar.) and link it to the guest account page, that's all.

There's still going to be a minimum amount of data necessary to complete the transaction, and minimum data retention required by good business practices or law. Opening a membership usually doesn't require that much more input, although many people would prefer to repeat entering data rather than risk getting spammed, if they're not sure that they'll be coming back to this site repeatedly. Thus, the popularity of "guest" checkout.

With regards to single page versus multiple pages, this has been discussed many times on this forum. In general, the tradeoff is between one long page and several short ones. Of course, you can take things too far with one page per input field, as well as a single page that scrolls forever. Customers generally don't mind several pages, so long as their progress through the checkout process is clear -- there's nothing worse than entering page after page of information, wondering when it will end. It comes down not to "one page is the Holy Grail", but "I know what data is being asked of me and I see where I am and I can clearly go back to check or fix an earlier entry."

I will think about to add some of these shortcut ideas to the guest checkout add-on in the next update when I'll back from vacations.

45 minutes ago, raiwa said:

Add this button where you consider it apropriate (shopping cart, navbar, header (if product in cart), second option beside "checkout" link in navbar.) and link it to the guest account page, that's all.

Yes will look into that as it may be a quick fix for now. Thanks.

I like the design of this one page checkout module for open cart. Also, I have seen some carts that use a modal popup for entering credit card info and confirming order as the final step. I like that idea.

https://dreamvention.myshopunity.com/302/d_quickcheckout/admin/index.php?route=extension/module/d_quickcheckout/editor

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

39 minutes ago, MrPhil said:

There's still going to be a minimum amount of data necessary to complete the transaction, and minimum data retention required by good business practices or law. Opening a membership usually doesn't require that much more input, although many people would prefer to repeat entering data rather than risk getting spammed, if they're not sure that they'll be coming back to this site repeatedly. Thus, the popularity of "guest" checkout.

With regards to single page versus multiple pages, this has been discussed many times on this forum. In general, the tradeoff is between one long page and several short ones. Of course, you can take things too far with one page per input field, as well as a single page that scrolls forever. Customers generally don't mind several pages, so long as their progress through the checkout process is clear -- there's nothing worse than entering page after page of information, wondering when it will end. It comes down not to "one page is the Holy Grail", but "I know what data is being asked of me and I see where I am and I can clearly go back to check or fix an earlier entry."

Well from the research I and others have done its shown clearly that a simple, clean quick checkout can make a big difference to customer conversions. It's nothing to do with one page it's reducing all unnecessary pages clicks etc. If it can be done in a simple one screen process why not! It's clearly popular as many developers are selling a quicker checkout for osC and looking at the number of old add-on its clear the community wanted it also. When it comes to selling the customer is King. If they want me to have dancing seal's on the site so be it! as long as they buy😂 

If there is something available, whether free or paid for, then you dont have to worry. Just add it to your store and do some AB testing. See what people use, and see whats best. Not that hard to test, as long as you keep both checkouts running. Let us know how you get on.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

Archived