• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Product tabs/SEO issue?

Smoky Barnable

I'm planning on using bootstrap tabs on my product pages and wondering about any seo issues. I have read in the past that google considers tabs as hidden content and can penalize you for such. Anyone have any experience regarding this?

The water in a vessel is sparkling; the water in the sea is dark. The small truth has words which are clear; the great truth has great silence.

- Rabindranath Tagore

Years ago, the search engines had problems with tabs. Mainly, I think, because the tabs were loaded using javascript he search engines couldn't read them. But that is far in the past and, nowadays, it is fine to use tabs and is even recommended for mobile devices due to the saving in space. The same rule applies to the data in the tab as anywhere else in the site - you can't hide text or only display it for the search engines. That will cause problems if they see that.

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

• 9 months later...

Yes you can  now easily use the bootstrap tab. Now the google gives the permission for this bcause google change his alogorithm and it also don't create any issue for seo 

Thanks

I have always avoided placing content in tabs for fear they will not be indexed, but thanx for the recent Google algorithm changes, I can make tabs and am not afraid the valuable content will be overlooked by the indexing robots.

Archived