• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Recover Cart Sale for CE

radhavallabh

will probably need a change to ensure you only email people who have agreed to newsletters - GDPR etc............ I stopped using recover carts for this reason.....

Now running on a fully modded, Mobile Friendly 2.3.4 Store with the Excellent MTS installed - See my profile for the mods installed ..... So much thanks for all the help given along the way by forum members.

14 hours ago, Mort-lemur said:

I stopped using recover carts for this reason

No need to stop using recover carts at all! GDPR has no impact on you contacting a customer about an abandoned cart. That is a perfectly valid reason to talk to your customer.

I get around 40% conversion from recover carts, that's not something to give up lightly. 

31 minutes ago, PiLLaO said:

In Spain GDPR not allow to send emails if customers don't consent before

Its the same throughout all of the EU. Without permission, you cant send unsolicited sales mail unless you have implied consent. You can if there is a contract in place and a it is necessary as part of the sale. You could argue that the person has created an account and agreed to the T7Cs of th4e site, but if there are not subscribed to emails, then you still cant send to them.

48 minutes ago, JcMagpie said:

No need to stop using recover carts at all! GDPR has no impact on you contacting a customer about an abandoned cart. That is a perfectly valid reason to talk to your customer.

I get around 40% conversion from recover carts, that's not something to give up lightly. 

Check the rules on GDPR. Unless you have consent to contact customers, and unless the email is required as part of the transaction, you cant contact them. Unless I and many thousands more are misinterpreting the rules. If you have tick boxes which specifically say that you will market to customers that abandon their cart, then you may be fine, but who in their right mind would signup for that.  Have a read here https://www.willows-consulting.com/has-gdpr-killed-abandoned-cart-marketing/.

REMEMBER BACKUP, BACKUP AND BACKUP

25 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

Unless I and many thousands more are misinterpreting the rules.

Yes you are misinterpreting the rules. Nothing in GDPR stops you contacting your customer for a valid reason. As always EU laws some people read them as worst case and other in a practical way. It up to you to decide which. 

😂 When they drag me of to the cells for emailing one of my customers I'll come back and apologize.

If they had previously bought from your store, and agreed to receive emails then yes you could possibly get away with sending them emails. But you cant class a non sale as a sale hence a legitimate excuse to send a marketing email, in my and many others opinions.

If they are a new customer there has not been a sale yet so they are not yet a customer, so you do not have permission to send marketing emails. All you have is an email address from a website visitor that has not even given you permission to save, let alone store their email address, and have given no permission for you to contact them. How can that comply to GDPR.

4 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

How can that comply to GDPR.

Go read the legal documents and if in doubt get legal advice. As the law currently stands its still OK to make cold call's 😂 go figure that out.

I'm not giving anyone legal advice I'm just stating that I have no issues with sending one simple email to an abandoned cart asking if they need help. You are free to interpret the rules your way.

All I ask is if I am thrown into a cell please contribute to my bail fund.😁

Thank you so much on the advice for the addons @JcMagpie... I will surely try to incorporate the Recover Cart Sale & Unsold to check which suits..

And for the advice @Mort-lemur @PiLLaO

For GDPR I think I can email the customers outside Europe and to the subscribed customers in Europe :D so GDPR issue may not come up!!

Thank you again  

Very Warm Regds.

radhavallabh

It's pretty simple, just use common sense.  Common sense tells me I need consent to re-market.  How do I get that consent?  Perhaps a Tickbox on create_account might be enough, linked to acceptance of T&C.  In your T&C page have a paragraph about re-marketing.

At what point does a person become a Customer?

• after they create an account?
  • after they actually buy something?
  • when they sign up to a mailing list?
  • something else

That's an interesting question.  Maybe shopowners should have something in their T&C explaining at what point a person becomes a customer, that wouldn't harm anything to add it in, and maybe helpful in the future should you have to prove anything to anyone.

Remember also that GDPR does not apply only to customers.  It applies to ANYONE who interacts with your site, it is just that most shopowners direct people to agree to GDPR T&C etc at some point after the potential customer has browsed products etc.

Whichever point you determine a potential becomes a Customer... you MUST STORE the exact T&C to which a Customer signed up, why;

1. In the future, the customer can examine the precise T&C to which he/she
    signed up and if necessary withdraw his consent.
  2. To show the GDPR authority in your country the exact T&C to which the
    customer signed up, if the customer complains to that authority.

@burt

Wonderful advice about the tick box consent for T & C.. and adding a paragraph on re-marketing emails in T&C on Create Account..

Super Cool idea!

Thank you so much again this shall help me with adding Recover Cart Sale without hesitation now!

Very Warm Regds./

radhavallabh

50 minutes ago, burt said:

It's pretty simple, just use common sense.  Common sense tells me I need consent to re-market.  How do I get that consent?  Perhaps a Tickbox on create_account might be enough, linked to acceptance of T&C.  In your T&C page have a paragraph about re-marketing.

At what point does a person become a Customer?

• after they create an account?
  • after they actually buy something?
  • when they sign up to a mailing list?
  • something else

That's an interesting question.  Maybe shopowners should have something in their T&C explaining at what point a person becomes a customer, that wouldn't harm anything to add it in, and maybe helpful in the future should you have to prove anything to anyone.

Remember also that GDPR does not apply only to customers.  It applies to ANYONE who interacts with your site, it is just that most shopowners direct people to agree to GDPR T&C etc at some point after the potential customer has browsed products etc.

Whichever point you determine a potential becomes a Customer... you MUST STORE the exact T&C to which a Customer signed up, why;

1. In the future, the customer can examine the precise T&C to which he/she
    signed up and if necessary withdraw his consent.
  2. To show the GDPR authority in your country the exact T&C to which the
    customer signed up, if the customer complains to that authority.

Please could you help me to find--- where is the create account form validated in Frozen -

I need to validate the check-box field there for it..

Help would be deeply appreciated;

Thank you in advance;

Very Warm Regds./

radhavallabh

1 hour ago, JcMagpie said:

Go read the legal documents and if in doubt get legal advice. As the law currently stands its still OK to make cold call's 😂 go figure that out.

I'm not giving anyone legal advice I'm just stating that I have no issues with sending one simple email to an abandoned cart asking if they need help. You are free to interpret the rules your way.

All I ask is if I am thrown into a cell please contribute to my bail fund.😁

After adding all of Gary's GDPR modules to my site, I did have a company go through my website, my T&Cs and my privacy policy to see whether they comply. They all do. So I have taken advice, probably more than some. The initial check and report was not that much as I belong to another forum and it was a special deal, so well worth the money. The T&Cs and the privacy policy have also been checked by a solicitor to see that they are ok. Again, more than some have done that I know. There is a full report with other areas that in reality need some work but comply just, but they will be done when money allows. There was a big area mentioned where caution should be taken and that was with recover carts and my current mailing list as some subscribers were signed up whilst I had the tick box pre ticked.

I will give advice based on the advice I was given. If people dont like it, its their choice. If people chose to ignore the regulations to suit themselves then that's their choice.

8 minutes ago, 14steve14 said:

I will give advice based on the advice I was given. If people dont like it, its their choice. If people chose to ignore the regulations to suit themselves then that's their choice.

Bold statements and big assumptions 😂 but hey that's what makes the world go round. 

1 hour ago, radhavallabh said:

Please could you help me to find--- where is the create account form validated in Frozen -

I need to validate the check-box field there for it..

Help would be deeply appreciated;

Thank you in advance;

Very Warm Regds./

radhavallabh

I figured this out...

:D

Shoppers abandon carts for many reasons. Sometimes they run into trouble (e.g., power failure), sometimes they're bots doing comparison shopping or even just exploring/indexing your site, sometimes they run out of time (lunch break is over), sometimes they decide they don't like your prices or merchandise, and sometimes the reasons are totally bizarre. Sometimes they get all the way to checkout and don't like the shipping costs or taxes.

For signed-in members (with account), I would think that would imply consent to contact them via email. You may want to make this clear in your T&C's. For guests, if they've given you their email address, would that imply permission? BTW, how do you legally and ethically get an email address without the shopper voluntarily providing it to you? In either case, you would have to be extra polite, and frame your contact as asking if they need help with a problem, rather than pressuring them to buy. You could give them a key to access the cart, and perhaps a small coupon.

Perhaps a better approach (avoiding the minefield of GDPR and ignoring your emails) might be to have a "help" button on every screen, where a shopper could look at FAQs and request help (via email, or even chat if you happen to be available) with a problem. You could ask them to tell you why they are leaving, if they're willing to answer. Make it clear that an email address for help will be used only once to reply, and not saved or sold. You'll always have some shoppers who abandon a cart without giving a reason, but you might be able to salvage some sales without being intrusive.

IIRC, one of the major reasons for abandoning a cart during checkout is unexpectedly high shipping costs and/or taxes. To give an approximate shipping cost range, or sales tax amount, you would usually need to know their approximate address (e.g., ZIP Code) if they're a guest. You would have to make it clear that this address information will be discarded at the end of the session. Then you could give a rough idea of shipping and taxes even before an item is added to the cart.

While no one likes to see an abandoned cart and lost sale, keep in mind how much it will cost you to spend the time to attempt to contact this shopper, as well as any blowback if they consider it to be an invasion of privacy. In at least some cases, it may not be worth the effort.

Archived