• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Frozen: tep_draw_button problem

cupidare

Hello, 

recently I have a problem with buttons (since updating to frozen and php 7.1). 

when I define a button without specifying  the type the following strange thing appears in function tep_draw_button()

// Output a jQuery UI Button
  function tep_draw_button($title = null, $icon = null, $link = null, $priority = null, $params = null, $style = null) {
    static $button_counter = 1;
    $types = array('submit', 'button', 'reset');
    if ( !isset($params['type']) ) {
      $params['type'] = 'submit';
      //here the value assignment is "s" instead of "submit"
    }

And therefore the buttons don't work with a link. Has anyone a hint?

Not sure what you're trying to do but with Bootstrap you have 4 possibilities to create a button. See here for further info.

If you want to have a button that has a link to go somewhere then you could use the first example.

<a class="btn btn-default" href="#" role="button">Link</a>

But it should be possible to do with tep_draw_button as well though.

<?php echo tep_draw_button(BUTTON_TEXT, 'fas fa-chevron-right', tep_href_link('index.php')); ?>

Hello @Tsimi

Thank you for your reply. Your way of button creation normally works for me. I want the following button

tep_draw_button('call me', 'fa fa-lg fa-phone', "tel:0049XXXXXX", '', '', 'btn-info') 

The button itself appears, but it doesn't work (the link is missing). The re-definition of the button (None -> to "submit") just defines to "s" instead to "submit"

EDIT:

It works only when using Null instead of "" (empty). Is this something new?

Not sure since when that is the case. I just tested it in an older EDGE shop and the same things happens there.
Not sure if it is PHP related or not. But I guess as long it works with NULL it's OK.

What is the purpose of the button? You have "'call me' as the text for the button but then you have the telephone number: "tel:0049XXXXXX". If this worked, what would want to display on the site?

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Get the latest versions of my addons

Recommended SEO Addons

3 hours ago, cupidare said:

tep_draw_button('call me', 'fa fa-lg fa-phone', "tel:0049XXXXXX", '', '', 'btn-info') 

You have several add-ons already available to provide this function on frozen and CE, This is just one of a number available.

@TsimiThanks for the explanation.

@cupidareThe following may work, though I haven't tested it.

tep_draw_button('call me', 'fa fa-lg fa-phone', 'tel:0049XXXXXX"', 'primary', array('type'=>'button'), 'btn-info');

Support Links:

For Hire: Contact me for anything you need help with for your shop: upgrading, hosting, repairs, code written, etc.

Recommended SEO Addons

I believe by now, that the problem is connected to this 

https://tehnoblog.org/php-7-1-warnings-illegal-string-offset-cannot-assign-empty-string-to-string-offset-working-fine-in-php-7-0-and-lower/

That means in php 7.1+ an array cannot be defined by an empty string without specifying it an array. 

Not sure whether this affects other parts of the code

That's one of those cases where the PHP maintainers are going around tightening up their code to better match the published specs. This often means that site code that worked before suddenly stopped working... technically it was invalid (sloppy coding) in the first place, but no one complained (until now). I wouldn't be surprised to see this problem popping up here and there in any PHP code, including osC.

• 3 months later...

hi all, @cupidare  @Tsimi  @MrPhil  @Jack_mcs  @JcMagpie

on my 234.1 BS (Edge) version, I install @Jack_mcs Jack's MATC modules, and have error message:

Warning: Illegal string offset 'type'
in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 486

in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 489

if ( !in_array($params['type'], $types) ) {

in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 490

in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 493

if ( ($params['type'] == 'submit') && isset($link) ) {

in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 503

if ( ($params['type'] == 'button') && isset($link) ) {

in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 511

$button .= ' type="' . tep_output_string($params['type']) . '"';

in /catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php on line 530

if ( ($params['type'] == 'button') && isset($link) ) {

any advice what I should to do make the errors go away?

Many thanks!  Lyn

The problem is with the php version you are using. The add-on is not compatiable with the version you are using. I'm sure this has already been coverd in this forum.

You need to check that your key exists in the array or not, instead of simply trying to access it. The solution is to use the "isset"

Replace:

$myVar = $someArray['someKey']

With something like:

if (isset($someArray['someKey'])) {
    $myVar = $someArray['someKey']
}

The problem is that $params was apparently not designated as an array, but is a scalar (such as a string). Older PHP versions would simply promote $params to an array (or do something similar) and do the array assignment. If $params is locally created, check that it uses array(). If it's passed in from elsewhere, you will need to figure out why it is a scalar and not an array.

The error message says "illegal string offset", which leads me to believe that $params is a scalar string.

hi all,

thank you for reply. Sorry I google and this one comes up, and i stuck with tep_draw_button function codes, so thought it should be related, wrong judgement 😭

Yes I also found the other post from forums but it only mentioned php version, and I dont quite understand the solution.

Thank you @JcMagpie Zahid for the example and thank you @MrPhil Phil for the explanation.

Once again, thank you!  Lyn

@ce7Try this. In includes/functions/html_output.php, fine

$types = array('submit', 'button', 'reset');

}

and change it to

$params = array('type' => '');
    }

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

• 9 months later...
On 8/12/2018 at 5:00 PM, Jack_mcs said:

@TsimiThanks for the explanation.

@cupidareThe following may work, though I haven't tested it.

tep_draw_button('call me', 'fa fa-lg fa-phone', 'tel:0049XXXXXX"', 'primary', array('type'=>'button'), 'btn-info');

@Jack_mcs

I'm trying to get a "newwindow" with tep_draw_button function but I failed to make it :

if ( isset($params['newwindow']) ) {
        $button .= ' target="_blank"';
      }

Do you know how to get it ?

Osc v2.3.4 BS "custom"
PHP 7.3 compatible (710 modified files => o_O')

I think this will work

echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE, 'fa fa-angle-right', tep_href_link('index.php'), null, array('type'=>'button','newwindow'=>'1'), null );

Support Links:

Recommended SEO Addons

3 minutes ago, Jack_mcs said:

I think this will work

echo tep_draw_button(IMAGE_BUTTON_CONTINUE, 'fa fa-angle-right', tep_href_link('index.php'), null, array('type'=>'button','newwindow'=>'1'), null );

Thank you, it works !
NB: I've just found the same writing 'newwindows'=>'1' just 3 secondes before your reply but many thanks for your speed. ^^

Osc v2.3.4 BS "custom"
PHP 7.3 compatible (710 modified files => o_O')

Archived