• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Spaces in image names

BrockleyJohn

Although spaces in file names are considered a bad thing on the internet, osc allows you to upload an image whose name contains spaces and uses that name for the online version, without any apparent problems.

However I have noticed that recently they have started throwing up errors in google webmaster tools. g has said for a long time that they consider image names containing spaces to be invalid and that it could prevent products showing in g shopping results. The actual error thrown up is weird - it reports as a redirect error, and shows the problem url as the image name up to the first space.

Fortunately the fix is simple - you just need to edit the tep_image function in catalog/includes/functions/html_output.php to make sure that any spaces are converted to %20:

strtr(tep_output_string($src),array(' ' => '%20'))

instead of

tep_output_string($src)

Of course, avoiding spaces in the names in the first place is a good idea too.

Contact me for work on updating existing stores - whether to Phoenix or the new osC when it's released.

Looking for a payment or shipping module? Maybe I've already done it.

Working on generalising bespoke solutions for Quickbooks integration, Easify integration and pay4later (DEKO) integration at 2.3.x

Archived