• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Customer Password Reset link in email not working

2.3.4.1 CE

Customer forgets password.  Clicks on the Password Forgotten? button.  Enters email address.

Receives an email that looks like this:

Please follow this personal link to securely change your password:

https://mysite.com/password_reset.php?account=john.doe%40gmail.com&key=L5D61hRIxXpkuN1areK7NliTTCLwWOzfVtK0Q6tU

Clicks the link which opens a new browser window only to see:

Error:  The password reset link was not found in our records, please try again by generating a new link.

What could be wrong?  I've been Googling this for two hours with no luck.

- Andrea

That's what I did. 

Used my own customer email and the link sent to me does not work. 

Have tried it more than once.

- Andrea

Do you have a security add-on installed? As tis may be causing problems, try disabling any you have installed.

See if any error is being generated when link fails in your error log.

If you copied over accounts from old store then some may have not copied over properly. Try making a new account and resetting its password.

Also I know it sound silly but instead of clicking on the link copy and paste the link into a new browser window and see if it works. Make sure you are not logged into your website when trying this. 

If I check the link you have posted it has a live link to a website and a email address linked to it!! I assume you did not want this to be visible?

Are you sure you have CE installed? When I check my CE test site this is what I get as a working link for password reset.

https://www-justfastfood-com/password_reset.php/account/info%40justfastfood.com/key/3phTFjfkiZ6pMOxhtR1BtoShTt65G9XOFTzSU7lZ

On my Edge test site I get the same as you.

https://tbyb-co-uk/password_reset.php?account=info%40tbyb.co.uk&key=8BUdgO4pjWxgCpaek9qziZAzFI0Gofdeovj8DIEx

I think you have a problem with the way you have configured you website. I think you have a URL add-on installed which is rewriting your URL's to " password_forgotten.html "

However the password reset link is trying to go to  "password_reset.php"

This may  be the cause of the problem. I would turn off the addon and see if it fixes the problem, or talk to the add-on writer and see if they can help you fix the rewrite.

With out more info its hard to pinpoint the exact cause.

2 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

See if any error is being generated when link fails in your error log. 

Nope.  Error log is empty.

2 hours ago, JcMagpie said:

Are you sure you have CE installed?

According to Version Checker, I do.

version.PNG.b3abbbdb60df0d7c5ee78309e1e3a471.PNG

1 hour ago, JcMagpie said:

I think you have a problem with the way you have configured you website. I think you have a URL add-on installed which is rewriting your URL's to " password_forgotten.html "

THAT's the post I'm worried about.  I cleaned up the old SEO-G contrib and installed it in CE.  And there's no one left to help fix it...whatever needs fixing. 

That being said, it makes no sense to me why a program that simply changes urls from password_reset.php to password-reset.html would result in an entirely different file....password-forgotten.html....being accessed instead. 

I agree there's something wrong with my setup.  I just don't know what it is, and I'm not so sure it has anything to do with SEO-G.  I migrated my old 2.2 database into this new install and I wonder if there's some kind of conflict there.  What to look for?

- Andrea

Forget the CE issue that was me being stupid! sorry it happens much too often.

You just have to take it slowly and check each part one step at a time.

First I would simply turn off the add-on and see if it fixes the problem. If that is not an option then,

First check if the password reset key in your data base is the same as that in the link sent. If it is then the issue is that the link is not pointing to the right location, if its not then the reset key is not been recorded into the db.

once we know which is happening we can then try and track down a solution.

So basically the new key is not being written to the db. You need to check what file is being used when you make the new password selection, I suspect its "password_forgotten.html" not "password_forgotten.php"

If so you are going to have to check the mods you made to the old SEO-G add-on ,

My advice, uninstall this add-on and use one like the one below which is known to work with CE, I'm sure the developers in the forum will have other options.

https://apps.oscommerce.com/Hj4y0&ultimate-seo-urls-5-for-responsive-oscom&v=23

If you have the one you edited then pm it to me and I'll have a look, but as its no longer supported is it worth the effort?

Actually, I have the password_reset.php and password_forgotten.php files on the 'excluded' list within the SEO-G configuration, meaning...they are not processed and assigned .html extensions.  So, it's not that. 

There's a reason I have avoided the other SEO contribs.  I did try a few.  They assign other things to the url that I don't want.  I was trying to duplicate my old urls from my 2.2 site where I safely used SEO-G for many years prior to starting over with 2.3.4.1 CE.  To go with another url generator would mean losing all of my links on the Internet again.  I already know what that did to my sales for the 3 or 4 weeks I was without them.  It wasn't pretty.  It was very bad.

I'll PM you the files and maybe something will jump out at you.

Thank You for helping me!  🙂

- Andrea

Just to follow up:

Turns out my SEO-G contrib was not an issue.

I had inadvertently assigned a Type value of INT to the password_reset_key field in the customers_info table in the database instead of CHAR

Thusly, it would not accept alpha characters in the new password being generated.

Manually editing my database after the 2.2 migration did me in.  😮

Thanks SO MUCH to @JcMagpie

Never would have figured this out alone - THANK YOU!

- Andrea

Archived