• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Upgrade Existing osCommerce store from v2.3.4 to 2.3.4.1 CE

I have an existing osCommerce store that I want to upgrade from v2.3.4 to v.2.3.4.1 CE.  How do I do this and keep my existing database?  I have verified that it matches the structure of the database in the oscommerce.sql file in the /install folder.  Are there steps I need to take?  I can't find any instructions.

Thanks, Jim

Have you added any additional packages to your existing store? That would be the most obvious source for compatibility problems; if you haven't and you've verified that the database structures haven't changed from what you're running, then you should simply be able to copy the .php files (minus the configure.php files, naturally) into your existing store.

I strongly suggest that you try this on a temporary server directory first, of course!!

Bruce

Thanks for response Bruce.  I installed originally an AlgoZone template, and I had later added CCGV.  However, I decided to overwrite everything and add it back in after I got the store running.  I did this and have made progress, but one thing puzzles me.  When I go into the store, I get the following error in an AlgoZone php:

Fatal error: Class 'infoBoxHeading' not found in /home/webhosting/healthofeden.com/includes/boxes/categories_az_FL03C00072.php on line 36

The class 'infoBoxHeading' is found in stylesheet.css.  I did not see stylesheet.css in catalog directory of 'Response-osCommerce-master'.  I added it to the catalog directory of my temporary server, but in this situation it seems to not be linked.  How should I link to stylesheet.css, or should I add these classes to another file such as user.css which is currently empty?

I apologize.  My knowledge of php is somewhat limited.

Thanks much, Jim

@jimormsbee

FYI ...

The Community Edition of osC has an empty user.css file in the root (/catalog) directory. If you want to make any css changes, add your changes here. Do NOT edit any of the other css files. user.css is called last, and will override any other css definitions.

I acknowledge that this does not address your current issue ...

M

Thank you M. 

I understand your comment regarding the user.css file, but I'm not sure why adding the css changes provided by AutoZone to the user.css file does not address my current issue.  I did add all the changes provided by AlgoZone in the stylesheet.css file to the user.css file, and it did not solve my problem.  This seems to be what you meant.  How do I solve my problem?  Do you have any suggestions?

Jim

This forum can not provide support for 3rd party templates. Many are poorly written, and/or overwrite basic core code. Lastly, unless AlgoZones specifically states that it will work with the Community Edition of osC, I am willing to bet that the template in question will not work with osC CE.

M

I understand your reasoning, but I'm not asking for a solution, just a direction.  I have been using this template since 2006 with no problems, and I've gone through several osCommerce upgrades.  AlgoZone is a major supplier of templates for osCommerce.  I am trying to get help from them also.

I was strongly encouraged to upgrade to the Community Edition of osC before I installed PayPal.  This was my ultimate objective.  Before installing PayPal I wanted to make sure everything was going to work correctly in the CE version.  I would hope that my challenges might help those working on this and future editions.

Again, I just want suggestions.

Jim

The only suggestions I can offer are ....

IF this template is this important to you, you have two choices:

1) Work with AlgoZone to get it to work with the Community Edition. If they can't/won't, ...

2) IF it works on the 'official' v2.3.4 osC, revert back to the 'official' version. Be aware that you will loose the responsiveness capability of osC CE (critical with today's use of mobile devices!), and be ready for problems when your host upgrades their version of PHP.

Actually, there is another choice ... if AlgoZone can't/won't make their template work with osC CE, get someone else to recreate the "look and feel" of that template in osC CE.

M

On 8/8/2018 at 4:35 AM, jimormsbee said:

I apologize.  Line 36 in the php file is:

new infoBoxHeading($info_box_contents, true, false, false, $column_location);

Thanks again, Jim

Jim, that has nothing to do with CSS.

That is a class, which doesn't exist in CE.

The file /home/webhosting/healthofeden.com/includes/boxes/categories_az_FL03C00072.php  will need to rewritten to accommodate the new style of boxes. Can you post that file here?

osCommerce user since 2003! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Frank,

In trying to get help from AlgoZone, I believe they just went out of business.  I was on their website last week and had sent their support an email but had received no reply.  When I went to their website this morning, I found that I was unable to connect to it.  I tried calling and found that their phone was disconnected.

I am now searching for alternative templates and most specifically Responsive Templates.  I found one that I liked entitled "Zack".  Is it or any other template good?  Do you have any suggestions?

Thank you,

Jim

Archived