• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

UPS XML Rate Quote

Millie,

I've been playing with the settings and can not get the rates to return close to actual costs.

I looked over the code, which I'm not proud to say was a hasty release, and found the source of the problem. I was in the process of creating a more complex packaging system with dimensions such that an algorithm could "pack" product into boxes and submit the dimensions and weights of each package separately to UPS (for a more accurate quote). In the process, I left out the package empty weight from the non-dimension-supported code. The handling fee was simply a variable I forgot to rename.

I'm very close to publishing a new release that addresses many of the issues brought up by folks in this forum. I should have it ready by the weekend.

Your help on solving problems in this module is highly regarded, Millie. Thank you.

Torin...

Chris,

I have decided to leave in the option to choose.

Just my opinion. I think you should do it both ways. Dimension and no dimension. Some of my products are very big and require oversized boxes so the dimension would not help me at all.

Now if you could have this option product specific that would be a plus. One product uses the dimension options and other products do not.

Though I haven't yet configured oversizing, I believe the UPS gateway will return an oversize rate because the dimensions are provided. I'll test this sometime today.

Torin...

I need to use UPS shipping and am looking for the best way to do this. It is unclear if it is best to go with the generic UPS shipping or to use one of the modules. This thread mentions the need to go to UPS XML.

Thank you Torin for writing this. My question is whether this contribution is yet ready for prime time. Are others using this?

Thank you for all your hard work.

The UPS XML module is ready, and the few bugs that were in it have been corrected. I just haven't had the time to give it a thorough test. I would be more comfortable if someone else were to give it a try and report back to me. The UPS XML module has two modes: With, and without DIMENSIONAL SUPPORt. Withouth dimensional support, this module acts just like the old UPS module, except it uses the XML gateway. With Dimensional support, it has a whole new administrative tool to create packaging, plus a smart algorithm for packing products into boxes (it's not a great algorithm, but does better than osCommerce's default packing routine).

My main concern is in the XML support I wrote. My ISP doesn't support XML DOC extensions in their PHP setup, so I had to write my own XML Path routines using xmlparser directly. PHP passes by value rather than pass by reference, and a few have complained about deprecated pass-by-reference exceptions. Unfortunately, I don't have the means to reproduce the error to analyze this.

Perhaps you would like to try it out. I have given my UPSXML 1.01 zipfile to a few others, and am waiting for feedback. If you would like, I will send it directly to you.

Torin...

Hi Torin,

I tried v1.01 (without dimensional support) and the returned rates still are not correct. I think, after studying the code and options, that the quote is returning for commercial rates only. In the module the code for selecting residential or commercial is commented out and I think some of the code for this setting has been removed. Is there a way I can set it to return residential rate quotes? I think that would return the rates I need. Thanks!

Millie

I have carefully installed this twice to MS1 shop. I have gotten this error both times.

Rating and Service 1.0001 0 MODULE_SHIPPING_UPSXML_RATES_TEXT_COMM_UNKNWON_ERROR : Rating and Service 1.0001 0 MODULE_SHIPPING_UPSXML_RATES_TEXT_COMM_UNKNWON_ERROR

Suggestions please?

Thank you.