• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

[REQ] Credit Card Surcharge

THX

I've searched these forums and while there is some discussion on this particular feature I have yet to find any contribution that does this. Would it be possible for someone to write this?

What is needed is the ability to add a % to the TOTAL(after tax) when customer selects credit card payment method. Example 3%.

SUBTOTAL: $100.00

Credit Card Surcharge: $3.00

TOTAL: $103.00

Something that does this or help on how to do this would be very much appreciated.

Lastly before someone thinks it is a good idea to post that this is illegal - not everyone lives in the U.S. It is perfectly legal to surcharge credit cards in Australia.

Thankyou.

Lastly before someone thinks it is a good idea to post that this is illegal - not everyone lives in the U.S. It is perfectly legal to surcharge credit cards in Australia.
I think this is legal in the US although maybe you have to call it a discount for cash instead of a surcharge for credit. The gas stations here do it all the time.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

I am sure there is a user-made contribution to add on a specified percentage per payment type.

There is one that can add a dollar value to each payment type but not a percentage - really need it as a percentage.

Can anyone help?

I think it is illegal in the U.S. but regardless I am in Australia and it is legal to do so here.

If there's a contribution to add a fixed amount, it seems like it shouldn't be too hard to hack it to add a percentage instead.

In olden times the men were made of iron and the ships were made of wood; now it's the other way around. :wink:

Visa/MC will not allow you to charge different prices for cash/credit. Additionally, you cannot charge a surcharge because someone is using a CC either.

The way to do this is as someone stated above, give a cash discount.

Another thought may be to give the cash discount to your customers as a store credit. Nothing like building your own repeat business. Just a thought.

Visa/MC will not allow you to charge different prices for cash/credit. Additionally, you cannot charge a surcharge because someone is using a CC either.

The way to do this is as someone stated above, give a cash discount.

Another thought may be to give the cash discount to your customers as a store credit. Nothing like building your own repeat business. Just a thought.

You obviously did not read my post. I quote myself:

"Lastly before someone thinks it is a good idea to post that this is illegal - not everyone lives in the U.S. It is perfectly legal to surcharge credit cards in Australia. "

It is perfectly legal to charge a surcharge in Australia so your post is completely irrelevant to my request.

...and I suppose no one else will ever ask this question, and you are the only person that matters.

Not everyone is from Australia, so why would you complain when a question is answered for the masses instead of the individual.

BTW, it's not illegal to charge a CC surcharge, Visa/Mastercard just don't allow it according to their agreements that merchants must comply with.

If you know this forum you will know there is a large number of posts concerning credit card surcharges and in every single one of them it is mentioned that it is illegal to do so within certain countries. I am pretty sure the majority know this by now hence posting it for the billionth time is in my opinion pointless and irrelevant to this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

has anyone installed the payment method surcharge bcs it doesnt do anything??

Payment Type Surcharge

http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,1306

I copy the two files to the includes/subdirectories,

I can see it in admin/orders_total, I activate it for paypal , the "green Light" of pleasure comes up ,

BUT then, i order something , and bapcus!

nothing. done it on 3 oscommerce installations, latest ones, many times, bapcus?

anyone got this working??

yours works fine.

mine doesnt. its obviously installed because under admin>modules>order total, it shows, its acticated, and it has 888, and i changed payment type to 'PayPal'. I just entered the test 'PayPal', is this correct? I tried entering the payment type as 'money order' but nothing either.

I go and buy something, but it just goes ahead like it doesnt even see it?

Any suggestions?

• 4 weeks later...

Mine is doing the same thing. I tried both the ot_surcharge and the ot_discount modules and neither will show up. Usint 07/28 snapshot release. Also I had to fix a bug in the language file, the author missed a single quote mark. Oops :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

In response to your "not everyone lives in the US" comments. Most of the major CC companies, Mastercard, VISA, Amex have it in their contract that you are not allowed to charge any kind of surcharge for accepting credit card payment. That does not ONLY apply to the US. That applies to *ANY* merchant in *ANY* country. Before you do this and get yourself in trouble with the CC companies and lose them, you may want to read your contract closely and maybe even call them to make sure.

• 6 months later...