• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

Links Manager For OSC v0.20 released

VJ

Hi Picman,

Can you post the code that you use to display links? I *think* you use the osc URL wrapper function tep_href_link to display links.

Ah, and I made the font/color changes at the stylesheet file.

This is the code I use to display links (/catalog/exchange_links.php),

echo '                <td align="left" class="smallText" style="width: ' . $width . '" valign="top"><br> » <a href="' . $link_links_data['link_url'] . '" class="exLinkTitle" target="_blank">' . $link_links_data['link_title'] . '</a><br><div align="justify">' . $link_links_data['link_description'] . '</div><a href="' . $link_links_data['link_url'] . '" class="exLinkURL" target="_blank">' . $link_links_data['link_url'] . '</a></td>' . "n";

and here's the stylesheet code I used,

A.exLinkTitle {

font-size: 12 px;

color: #0000CC;

font-weight: bold;

}

A.exLinkURL {

font-size: 10 px;

color: #000099;

font-weight: bold;

}

HTH,

VJ

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi VJ,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Here is the code you asked for from /catalog/exchange_links.php, as far as I can see it is exactly the same as yours.

echo '                <td align="left" class="smallText" style="width: ' . $width . '" valign="top"><br> » <a href="' . $link_links_data['link_url'] . '" class="exLinkTitle" target="_blank">' . $link_links_data['link_title'] . '</a><br><div align="justify">' . $link_links_data['link_description'] . '</div><a href="' . $link_links_data['link_url'] . '" class="exLinkURL" target="_blank">' . $link_links_data['link_url'] . '</a></td>' . "n";

Picman

ps. I will try the css code today

Hi VJ,

Well..

Something strange?

I had already installed the style-sheet code as your original instructions. For some reason the page is not using that information, any ideas?

The following link is in the /catalog/exchange_links.php file.

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="stylesheet.css">

Picman

Hi Picman,

I just remembered the cause of that problem you're experiencing. It's a problem with faling to include the "http://" before the url. Actually, this issue has been discussed before here at the forums, http://www.oscommerce.com/forums/viewtopic.php...p=178683#178683.

Sorry, I somehow couldn't remember that last night :shock:.

I'm pretty sure the css code will work, once you've managed to fix this url issue.

HTH :-),

VJ

Hi VJ,

I found the other post and tried pasting the code as written, but Ho Hum.. I now get:

Parse error:  parse error in /www.1stsouvenirs.com/catalog/includes/modules/link_submit_details.php on line 55

The two pieces of code from the other post are here. I am new to all this perhaps you can see something wrong?

if ($is_read_only == true) { 

? ? echo $submit_link['link_address']; 

? } elseif ($error == true) { 

? ? if ($entry_url_error == true) { 

? ? ? echo tep_draw_input_field('url') . ' ' . ENTRY_LINKS_ADDRESS_ERROR; 

? ? } else { 

? ? ? echo $url . tep_draw_hidden_field('url'); 

? ? } 

? } else { 

? ? echo tep_draw_input_field('url', 'http://' . $submit_link['link_address']) . ' ' . ENTRY_LINKS_ADDRESS_TEXT; 

? }

And:

if ($is_read_only == true) { 

? ? echo $submit_link['link_reciprocal']; 

? } elseif ($error == true) { 

? ? if ($entry_reciprocal_error == true) { 

? ? ? echo tep_draw_input_field('reciprocal') . ' ' . ENTRY_LINKS_RECIPROCAL_PAGE_ERROR; 

? ? } else { 

? ? ? echo $reciprocal . tep_draw_hidden_field('reciprocal'); 

? ? } 

? } else { 

? ? echo tep_draw_input_field('reciprocal', 'http://' . $submit_link['link_reciprocal']) . ' ' . ENTRY_LINKS_RECIPROCAL_PAGE_TEXT; 

? }

When I type 'http://' in-front of the url in admin the link does work, so you're on the right track.

Picman

On the contributions page, I couldn't get Werner's upload working, but I did get the original (plus the small update you posted) to work on MS2 by changing any tep_array_merge() function calls to array_merge() calls. Everything else seemed to be ok, as far as I can tell.

You can find two calls to tep_array_merge ... both in the files in the admin folder. I think it's exchange_links_categories.php and exchange_links_links.php, if I remember right.

I like having the links ability here; some other ideas to add to this might be with the submission process; add into the admin panel some configuration options, such as where you want the links sent to, etc. Just some config options in general would be kinda useful.

It looks good though, so keep up your great work. It's complicated trying to dissect other people's code, like osC, with no comments! Ahh!

Hi VJ,

Problem 1 solved..

As described in my last message I did copy and paste your code and the got the parse error message. I tried fiddling with the code, checking and double checking things, but alas no joy. I even tried Whitelancer's idea, that didn't work.

Then, one last try, I put the old code back and added:(exactly where indicated in your original fix)

'http://' .

And it worked... Hooray

I don't know if it was a problem with spaces or what, I'm just glad it's sorted.

Thanks again for all the help

And now if someone could help with the following.

If you visit http://www.1stsouvenirs.com/catalog/exchange_links.php you will see the link categories on the page.

My question is how can I get the links to display larger and in colour similar to those at http://www.salehut.com/exchange_links.php and reduce the columns to three or four giving more space to the category text making the page more tidy?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Picman

On the contributions page, I couldn't get Werner's upload working, but I did get the original (plus the small update you posted) to work on MS2 by changing any tep_array_merge() function calls to array_merge() calls. Everything else seemed to be ok, as far as I can tell.

You can find two calls to tep_array_merge ... both in the files in the admin folder. I think it's exchange_links_categories.php and exchange_links_links.php, if I remember right.

Ah, good! I was thinking about setting up this links program at my new site that runs on MS2. Your tips would come in handy, surely... Thanks!

I like having the links ability here; some other ideas to add to this might be with the submission process; add into the admin panel some configuration options, such as where you want the links sent to, etc. Just some config options in general would be kinda useful.

It looks good though, so keep up your great work. It's complicated trying to dissect other people's code, like osC, with no comments! Ahh!

Yes, there's still lots more that can be done. I'd been thinking about changing the DB schema to make it multi-lingual, first. Just got to find some time to work on that.

Oh, (constructive) comments/suggestions are always welcome. Just keep them coming :-).

VJ

And it worked... Hooray

I don't know if it was a problem with spaces or what, I'm just glad it's sorted.

Good! Those strings can sometimes get tricky to handle. I think it was the quotes.

If you visit http://www.1stsouvenirs.com/catalog/exchange_links.php you will see the link categories on the page.

My question is how can I get the links to display larger and in colour similar to those at http://www.salehut.com/exchange_links.php and reduce the columns to three or four giving more space to the category text making the page more tidy?

This is the code I use to display link categories at my site.

$width = (int)(100 / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW) . '%';

echo '                <td align="left" class="smallText" style="width: ' . $width . '" valign="top"><br> » <a href="' . tep_href_link(FILENAME_EXCHANGE_LINKS, 'lPath=' . $link_category_data['link_category_id']) . '" class="subCatLinks">' . $link_category_data['link_category_name'] . '</a> (' . $link_count . ')' . '<br>' . $link_category_data['link_category_description'] . '</td>' . "n";

if ((($rows / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW) == floor($rows / MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW)) && ($rows != tep_db_num_rows($link_category_query))) {

echo '              </tr>' . "n";

echo '              <tr>' . "n";

}

You'll be able to change the no. of columns by changing MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW (at the OSC Admin). Its the same definition that controls the product categories description. You can even use a new definition. Like for example,

Add to /catalog/application_top.php,

define('MAX_DISPLAY_LINK_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW', '4');

And, substitute MAX_DISPLAY_CATEGORIES_PER_ROW in /catalog/exchange_links.php with the new definition variable.

Ah, and you can change the display style using stylesheet definitions.

HTH,

VJ

Hey, VJ,

Are you planning to add a facility to record hits in & Out like PHPLinks? I was just about to implement your code after tweaking the layout to my liking, then came across PHPLinks. There's a lot of stuff there I wouldn't show to users, like link stats and country flags, but would like to see it in Admin. I also like the way PHPLinks frames the outbound clicks. On the downside, PHPlinks is really messy and took lots of work out of the can just to get working & is hard to tweak. So I think I'll shelf it for now and go back to your code. But here's my wishlist for Links Mgr:

1) in/out click stats

2) framing ourbound links

3) adding page for sample link-back HTML code (I created this one already in my mod to your code)

THanks for a great mod!

Lee

framing outbound links could be a real problem, so that would need to be selectable in admin if you chose to add that function. I'd rather see the links open in a new window.

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

I've been working on a special frameset now for the past hour or so & getting frustrated. I'm getting an Apache error that I don't have permission to access the framed pages..? As a fall back, I have links opening in a new window, but would prefer to keep a top frame with my site's identity & clear links back to my catalog & links directory.

Deborah, did you post earlier that you always keep outbound links framed to your site?

No, I never keep outbound links framed. If I am using it for affiliate links, then the clicks won't be tracked properly inside a frame. Also, If I am doing a true link exchange, I don't want surfers trapped in a frame.

I personally hate being framed after I click a link. If the link opens in a new window, then my site is still available to them.

Frames and iFrames are both things I dislike A LOT.

[no external urls in signatures please, kthanks]

1) in/out click stats

2) framing ourbound links

3) adding page for sample link-back HTML code (I created this one already in my mod to your code)

Hello Lee,

Nice feature request!

Click stats would be a great addition for the next version. Ah, and the link-back HTML code too would make things easier.

I'm not sure about the frames though. I believe frames can get pretty messy to use. I don't think it'd be too difficult to implement, though.

Thank you :-),

VJ

OK, I admit I hate frames, too.

I have another question: has anyonw tried modifying the X-Link Mailingliste feature to send an email to the contact for a particular site, rather than the x-Link list?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey i installed this Links Manager for OSC v0.20 Author: VJ and i am noticing a bug because i have it installed after i installed the Phesis pollbooth_v2.0 http://www.oscommerce.com/community/contributions,20

The problem i am noticing is on the exchange_links_submit.php page.

The

Site Title: Array

- and the -

Site Address: http://www.dynastyblades.com/os/pollbooth....esults&pollid=1

textboxes are already populated with those values.

I hope this makes sense to people that might be able to help. You can see it for yourself at http://www.dynastyblades.com/os/exchange_l...inks_submit.php

:?: Please if anyone has any ideas to clear those boxes so they are not pre-populated i would appreciate it very much. I realize this is something pretty stupid, i'm hoping it is an easy fix.

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Hi!

I have installed this mod and it seems to work very well!

I'd like to know if it is possible to contact all Link Partners in the directory at once via email. Maybe something similar to the newsletter feature, but for link partners instead of cusotmers.

That would be really handy.

Thanks for this great contrib!

Mary

Ok i asked VJ about that problem of the boxes being prepopulated when combined with the pollbooth contrib and he figured out a solution.

You can try this work-around lazy fix (it works!), till someone can locate this "bug". Just move the poll booth box from column_left.php to column_right.php

Thanks a bunch VJ. I'm probably the only person in the world that ran into that problem but there it is anyways.

Well, the "Poll Booth" installation instructions suggest setting up the box at the right column. That should probably explain why others didn't have a problem. You deviated from the trend, and ended up finding a "bug". Good thing you did too :-).

Thanks again,

VJ

Hello,

I've got three questions regarding this fantastic contrib:

1.) Why are the Contact Name: and Contact Email: * Required for adding a category?

2.) Is the contrib capable of automatically emailing the link partner on link status change? (something similar to order status changing)

3.) How does the rating come into play?[/code][/b]

Mary

1. Well, I thought getting the name and email of the person submitting his link would be handy, in case we ever need to get in touch with them. Anyway, its a matter of choice. They can be made optional.

2. Mass-emailing link partners isn't available yet. Nice idea, though :-). I might work on it in the next release.

3. Rating is a redundant field, right now. It can come in handy however, if someone wants to improvize this script. Like for example, it would be possible to group links based on their ratings and display higher-rated links on the top.

Thank you,

VJ

1. Well, I thought getting the name and email of the person submitting his link would be handy, in case we ever need to get in touch with them. Anyway, its a matter of choice. They can be made optional.  

2. Mass-emailing link partners isn't available yet. Nice idea, though :-). I might work on it in the next release.  

3. Rating is a redundant field, right now. It can come in handy however, if someone wants to improvize this script. Like for example, it would be possible to group links based on their ratings and display higher-rated links on the top.  

Thank you,  

VJ

1.) I mean the categories, not the links themselves. Having the contact info of the link partners is definately very important!

2.) Yes I think that would be great! I would use it if it were available. I've got a few ideas for this if you'd care to hear them. I'd be happy to help with this however I can.

Thanks for this contrib :!:

Mary

1. Oops, sorry! Again, I believe contact information for link categories might make improvization easier. Like, someone might want to hack this script to enable customers to suggest/submit categories. It might come in handy, then.

2. Sure, I'd love to hear ideas on anything that'd make this script better.

Thank you!

VJ