• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What's up with google?

rmyles

Yes that is my site.

Yeah I am actually pretty happy to be there at all - I think I must be lucky? I must have submitted just before their latest crawl. :)

Do you know how long it will take to get a PR?

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Google has been buzzing a client's site for the last 3 days non-stop.

It appears to like to do this for about 2-4 days a month ... at a chunk of 2-4 gigs of data.

It appears to be tracing the old links it had with the SID addresses in them ... and does not get as bad as it did last month where I had 1400+ connections at a time as fast as I could kill off the whos_online to see what it was doing it was filling it up again.

I am hoping in another month or so it will lose all of those links and get back on track for the proper ones that the SID killer has cleaned up.

Last 4 days of bandwidth:

1.3gig

2.5gig

3.1gig

1.7gig

Should normally be around .5 to .8gig

Gotta love that bot. :shock:

Yes that is my site. Do you know how long it will take to get a PR? Jen

Thirty days or so. Once upon a time you didn't even get listed inside 30 days let alone having 32 pages etc. There is no rush to get a PR -- it will only marginally give you better referrals from Google than right now. You have enough now to get going.

Having a PR should only give you another 10% on what you are getting, provided you get a good PR when you do get one. So use the 30 days to get links - write some articles (250-300 words long) and get them on sites that accept articles. What about writing an educational article and get it on such places as Kairos News, or an e-commerce angle. What about mother's sites -- I know of at least three or four that will take articles.

Giving content like that is always a good way to obtain really good solid links.

Thanks heaps for the info. I guess I am just keen to see how they rank me (not that it is the be-all and end-all although some places would have you believe it is). I went to your site and was interested in your experiment - purposely going after a PR0 and then seeing how it effects your traffic. Brave. But a great idea, and all in the cause of research. :)

Yes I have been thinking about articles. I probably don't have the time right now but will look at it for down the track.

thanks again

Jen

Hi all,

We're having similar problems too. We have META tags on and spider SIDs off; this can be verified at http://www.webconfs.com/search-engine-spid...r-simulator.php and http://www.gritechnologies.com/tools/spide...dforthemind.com

Google finally has our main page in its database; however it does not have any of the subpages. I know this is not a SID problem because we added a subpage entitled "How to pick the perfect toy" AFTER we turned off the spider SIDs, and a Google search for that text at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-...+perfect+toy%22 does indeed come up with our main page, but not the actual subpage.

It seems that the googlebot is not following any of our links, even though you can see that the simulators mentioned above show no SIDs in the addresses.

Is there any more that we can do (besides an all products page) or should we start thinking about paying to be included?

Thanks,

Ben

Microdoc,

Do you have any idea why the sites that I am affiliated with, www.wizardsandwars.com and www.madmacgames.com would have lost of of their product listing pages?

Wizardsandwars.com enjoyed listings of all of its products within the top five listings for several months. That is, by searching for the product by name, the product page was always returned towards the top of the index. Then, unexplicably, about a month and a half ago, all product listings vaqnished. Our main page is still indexed, however, we no longer find the product listing pages listed.

For MadMacGames.com, the main listing seems to come and go. Some days we are listed, and some days were are nowhere to be found.

Just wondering if you might have any idea why?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

Yes,

There seems to be a general rule of thumb that Google is now applying. If your site has products, it will not list your products unless you are a PR6 site or higher. You see that all of Amazon's books are listed, but pick any PR4 product selling site and more than likely the product pages are not listed. I have yet to confirm with Google that this is the case. A contact within Google.

There are some really neat way to get your products listed in Google despite this. I have experimented with these concepts and they really work.

Essentially, I have experimented with building a nano publishing business alongside product sites and they really work. I now have seven different nano publishing sites that focus on products and my clients get good listings in Google, good traffic from Google and good conversions into sales.

Google is working toward promoting that products get listed in Froogle. However, this may backfire on them as very few people really search in Froogle.

Microdoc,

Good Doctor, is there any way I could entice you to share any of those 'concepts"? I have prided myself on becoming as knowledgeable as possible on Google techniques, tips and tricks, but this problem seems to have eluded my every attempt to get my products re-listed.

I would be eternally grateful for your help in this matter.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

WizardsandWars,

I notce according to the rules of this forum that I should not advertise. However, I consider this relevant to the discussion.

Nano publishing techniques are used by a variety of companies to build interest in particular products and services. While visiting a nano publisher you may think you know what the secret is, I can tell you that actually implementing it is rather interesting from the backend and can be challenging unless you know how it really effected.

In general principles, nano publishing draws a crowd because of information you create online. After all, Google wants the main Google Search to focus on information and not products etc.

Drawing the crowd through using information is tricky. You know from running a website that competition for the high traffic keywords is pretty hopeless. There are at least two other ways of working -- memeword marketing for which I have many listings in Google about and keenword marketing for which there are no listings in Google until about tomorrow or the next day.

I offer Microdoc Coaching to run people through the rigours of creating a nano publishing site which is offered for a small, small fee. If you wish to know more about that please contact me through email.

Otherwise, the key to it is building a second site which is under the same domain name as your current site, and which devotes a page of text about each of your products. It works.

This is gonna be fun to write ...

If it works the way I am thinking ... this is gonna be oodles of fun ... :wink:

But then I think I have this masochistic streak towards writting code ... :shock:

If your site has products, it will not list your products unless you are a PR6 site or higher.

This may be a dumb question but how does google know that your site contains products? How does it differentiate between sites with products, sites doing product reviews or just general info sites?

Google indexes every word on each page that it locates and puts in its database. As it does this, Google uses various filter to determine the content on the page. It is not hard to identify the types of words and phrases used in a products page, in comparison to a page of information only.

I have been getting some listings in Google but they haven't indexed my whole site, 32 pages. Including some Product pages.

The other day it was back to 6 pages (freshbot), now it seems only my "home" page is in Google's index. From what I have been reading, it's happening all over the place, due to their new algorithms or something.

Ok so probably a dumber question, but what is a PR6 site?

You need to do some research! PR = Page Rank which is a system that Google uses to rank sites. A link from Page A to Page B is classed as a "vote" for Page B from Page A. The more links from highly ranked places the higher your ranking will be. You need to install the Google Toolbar to see the PRs of sites. They go up to 10, the higher the better. PR0 or 1 is very bad. Or like my site, you could have a "grey bar" which means that you haven't received a rank yet. Still waiting to see what they think of me! ;)

Jen

Another thing about PR's that I don't understand - this forum page has a PR of 3 and yet it has only been going since today (this page of the thread I mean). Why is it that it gets a PR so fast? And why a 3?

And why is it that my site still hasn't gotten a PR despite being listed in Google? And it still says that I have no backlinks when I know I am linked around the place. How does that work? I'm not whinging (well maybe a tiny bit!) I just don't understand it that's all. :)

Jen

Page Rank scores are earned from other sites pointing to a page and also from links within your site pointing to a page.

SO, when you have links from other pages in your site pointing to this page, this page earns PR value that go towards the score shown at the top of the page.

This page gets it from all other pages in the site pointing to it -- as it is highly unlikely that any outside pages are pointing to it and counted by Google.

Google calculates locally to identify how many of the internal links are pointing to this page and gives this page an estimate. At the next Google update the real PR value for this page will be assigned taking into account that other sites out there are perhaps pointing to this page.

I have downloaded the google toolbar and noticed that my site http://www.egyptiandreams.co.uk has a page rank or zero. Is there anyway of knowing why this is the case - i.e. have I been penalised for somthing? I don't think I've done anything but something must be up. I am linked on other sites with high ranking and have reciprocal links back but google says I there are no external links to me - yet I have been listed in google for some time now?

When getting links, you must make sure that they are 'quality' links. Install the Google Toolbar and check the PR of the sites/pages linking to you. If you have links from a site that google doesn't recognize or deems unimportant, it really wont help your cause.

Basically PR is Google's relevancy/popularity score.

Google has announced that it will soon get better at indexing dynamic sites. And Micro's method of creating a static information page for each or many of your products is a gem. There are quite a few osC'ers that are doing this with success.

While people do not use Froogle now, you have to remember that it is still in Beta and has been heavily promoted. The concept is great and I could see it becoming big in the future.

The Google AdWords program can drive sales with the correct placement and Ad. copywriting. Explore the many customization options and experiment with it and you could see some high conversions.

You could always hire a pro to do all of this for you. Search, on Google, for "search engine optimization". The sites that come up first obviously know what they're doing. Stay away from the "Hey, we'll submit your site to over 10,000 search engines" type companies. Personally I don't think any of us need to hire someone to do this for us. But, it can be a full time job depending on the size/volume of your site.

And of course, don't break the rules!

http://www.google.com/webmasters/

Premise: I'm a google-worshipper.

But when my site is listed on inktomi and google refuses to spider me in months, I begin to have doubts.

Am I going to have to start searching with msn? (insert smiley for 'disgusted' here).

If Googlebot does not spider you in months there are only about three reasons, each of which you can fix:

• 1. You have no links to your site coming from the common paths that Googlebot travels
    2. Your site does not change often, if ever
    3. There is a problem with your site that disallows Googlebot from indexing pages on your site

• Identify which of these is the cause, and Googlebot will index your site. It is actually a much more reliable tool working through the Internet than you think.

I have been tracking its movements on my site for six months and can tell you with +-5% accuracy when it is going to turn up on my site.

Actually, I got my initial site up about two months ago, submitted to google and it spidered my first page. I could do a search for my domain name and find myself. About two weeks later, I dropped off google completely. I resubmitted and got nothing. I have made several updates in the last couple months and obtained a high ranking ad words account and still nothing. Durring the course of reading this thread today, google finally began to crawl my site again. My page ranking went from a gray bar to 0. That change took place as google began to spider me and I'm sure the ranking will change in the next day. I'll let you know if the gatekeeper will let me in.

A funny aside: the comic strip at UF Files has had a running google strip for the last couple days: http://ars.userfriendly.org/cartoons/?id=20030602

If Googlebot does not spider you in months there are only about three reasons, each of which you can fix:

1. You have no links to your site coming from the common paths that Googlebot travels

2. Your site does not change often, if ever

3. There is a problem with your site that disallows Googlebot from indexing pages on your site

1. I submitted my site to jayde.com, it was indexed by them in 3 days, google noticed instantly and now if I type my domain name I get no result, but I get jayde's page for 'pages that contain the term <mysite>'.

2. It's a nuked site and I and several friends post daily.

3. I did all the online tests, meta tag analysers, spider simulators. Anyway inktomi had no problem with my site.

Thanks for your help. Maybe the pigeons know they're not my favourite animals

Archived