• Checkout
  • Login
  • Get in touch

osCommerce

The e-commerce.

What's up with google?

rmyles

Hi all,

I've waited a long time for google to start recognizing my site www.talespinners.ca and for a while it was doing a really good job. Now though I don't seem to be indexed at all (again). I'm just wondering if anyone knows whats up...

Thanks

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We're experiencing the same thing here.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

For me, the answer is no. I have no re-directs. My shop has been up for nearly a year, and I enjoyed favorable rankings for about the last 3 or 4 months. However, it seems that the regular Googlebot parser (216.239.) has not been to my site in over 2 months, and my listings have either dropped off, or have fallen lower and lower.

You can check all of your listings in all of Googles datacenters here, http://google-dance.miniunternehmen.de/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: As of Oct 2006, I'm not as active in this forum as I used to be, but I still work with osC quite a bit.

If you have a question about any of my posts here, your best bet is to contact me though either Email or PM in my profile, and I'll be happy to help.

He means do you have an 'index.php' in your webroot that simply re-directs the user to the /catalog/default.php file?

Google has just changed it's Algorithms for listing sites totally. They appear to still be tweaking results as my brothers site went from #1 > #5 > no listing > #1 in the space of a day, so just sit back and watch.

It's to do with backlinks and spam...so you've all lost lots of links to your sites in a nutshell.

In the meantime I would suggest Adwords.

Yeah, it appears that the couple of sites I am associated with (WizardsandWars.com and MadMacGames.com) both have lost all of the product url listings, and the main urls seem to fluctuate daily. We've been monitoring the process for about 2 weeks now.

My biggest concern is that it might think that somehow the prduct description pages are doorway pages or something, and try to drop those listings for good.

In addition to Adwords, I'd suggest Ah-ha, Roar, Go-click, and Sprinks.

Uh, no.

Free listings are hard, no, make that *very* hard to come by these days.

Submit to dmoz, and Google, and wait.

Submitting a site -for free - to plenty of obscure search engines and directories (as well as dmoz and google) does increase pagerank, though. Worth a try.

Well, maybe, but that's not going to keep him from being indexed by anyone.

Interesting, but not really relevent.

The problem seems to be what Burt mentioned, in that Google is obviously changing their algorithem for how thay index urls.

Hopefully, this change is not yet complete.

Interesting, but not really relevent.  

The problem seems to be what Burt mentioned, in that Google is obviously changing their algorithem for how thay index urls.

Interesting and relevant, I thought.

Google changes their algorithems fairly frequently and the only way of understanding how the new algorithems effect the indexing of urls is to view broad statistical data. Keeping up to date on articles like that will keep your page rankings up.

Perdure - Transparent Object Relational Persistence

Well, I agree it's improtant to stay on top of things, however, I don't think that any of the problems posted here have anything to do with listings becoming a little older.

Mainly, what I'm worried about is that google may have accidentally 'penalized' OSC sites due to redundant data on the product pages, This could happen if google decided to count the columns as relevent data.

I know google is changing their algorithem around, but it seems kinda strange that the product listing pages have disappears from all the OSC sites I'm working with.

anyone else see theitr product pages disappear from Google?

Your site Tale Spinners is a type of site that is indexed by Google once each 60 days. In the current way that Google is working, all listings of all pages are deleted from Google just minutes before Googlebot crawls your site. You then get a new listing about a day after Googlebot has arrived.

I tested and found that your site is actually listed Google Search for Tale Spinners. This is a new entry being entered in the last 24 to 36 hours.

This site has not been penalized in anyway in this listing. It is purely a site which Google does not place terribly much importance on indexing on a more regular basis. There are a number of ways around this.

The primary problem with your site and the current Google methodology is that Google Search is primarily about information. There are many pages on your site that has little to no textual information. There are many products, for example, where there are no reviews. Having reviews would attract Google to list those pages.

There are also very few links pointing in to this site. There are numbers of ways of getting links pointing to your site. There are a number of methods, that when employed, are bringing in between 5,000 and 20,000 free referrals from Google on commerce sites. Such methods are too lengthy to describe here.

Sufficient to say, you are experiencing what most other commercial sites are experiencing and it is not fun. There are however some inexpensive ways of solving this problem. If you are interested I could elaborate more on these. I welcome the discussion.

About links, I have recently launched my site www.redinstead.com.au and have been getting links from various places. Am I right in thinking that until Google indexes those sites again that Google thinks I have no incoming links? ie. no Page Ranking?

I have been getting some listings in Google but they haven't indexed my whole site, 32 pages. Including some Product pages.

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

Your site does not have a Google PR rating. It is greyed. This means that Google has not assessed your Google rating OR you have been penalized.

What links do you know you have pointing to your site? Have you by any chance obtained links from a link farm?

My site has only been live for a week. I know I have the greyed out PR thing. Which is very different from a PR of zero as I understand it. PR0 means your site has been banned etc but a grey PR simply means it has not been ranked yet at all. Correct me if I'm wrong...

I have not gone anywhere near link farms or anything like it. Nothing that will get me banned.

Over the last week I have been getting listed on relevant places eg. parenting sites and respected shopping directories.

Am I right in thinking that until Google indexes those sites again that Google thinks I have no incoming links?

Jen

I haven't lost my mind - I have it backed up on disk somewhere.

At this stage Google does not have any data to calculate anything about your site -- links or anything else. However, in the meantime, Google assumes a PR value for your site in displaying the listing it does have. It possible assumes a PR2 or PR3 just judging by doing a search on Google.

I cannot understand it -- you have been up for a week and you already have 32 pages listed. This is good if this is the case. Many people only get their single front page up in a week. Is that your site: Red Instead?

Archived